• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Cody Latimer play TE?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Cody Latimer add 15 Lbs and play TE for Denver in the same mold Jordan Reed plays TE for Washington. Shanny did it in Washington could Kubiak so the same thing here in Denver?

Seems to me Cody could be a mismatch against LBers. He's close to being considered a bust. Somehow the light needs to come on for him this TC or he may be gone in 2017.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always said Latimer might benefit the most from Peyton Manning retiring. Simplify the offense for him. Kubiak says the game has finally slowed down for him and he has shown a lot of improvement.

Jordan Reed went from QB to TE in college so he got accustom to it in the NFL quickly as he played TE at Florida and got an early start. Not ready to call for Latimer at TE yet, but maybe it might work.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wouldn't move him at this point. He definitely has a lot of pressure on him to perform this year but with the possibility of Sanders leaving after this season we need somebody else that we think can step up. The talent is there for him to be a great WR in the NFL. Just have to see if his head can finally catch up and I think the simplified system without Manning really should help. He just is not the fastest processor of what he is seeing and what the QB is seeing. Manning expected WR's to just look and know exactly everything he knows on the play and have about 4 different option routes to run depending on the defense. Then on top of that might switch the play 3 times before they snap the ball. Brains far outweighed athletic ability in Manning's offense where athleticism can take over in Kubiak's.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict - Bronco fans will see Cody Latimer playing in the slot - it makes a lot of sense with the run game and the versatility the Coachers are always talking about.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, Latimer is listed at 6'3" 216lbs

Owen Daniels and Virg were both around the 6'3" 250 range last season

Shannon Sharpe - who was a monster with Kubiak albeit in a different era, was only about 225 lbs

I think what is important is putting a player in position where he can use his skills and strengths - Latimer is a tough player, and seems to do best when there is contact involved ..

I agree with DC on the fact that Latimer was not on the same page as Manning - there was that report about Latimer keeping his headphones on during a team bus or plane ride when Manning was sitting by him talking ..

Maybe it's nothing, but after the "leather helmet" comment from Julius Thomas, he never saw the ball again ..

So who knows ...

This is a make or break year for Latimer regardless

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked this same question a while back. I think it could work. He's shown he's not afraid to block, and he could be a monster mismatch

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos truly want a fine running game and if they truly want to give their players a chance to make plays, then they will play Latimer in some sets as a blocker (2nd level) and as a mismatch against an LB out of the slot or from the TE position. I don't think you want to put Latimer up against a DT DE in the league as a blocker very often, but in the open field he has the agility to lay on a good block.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If switched, Latimer would be a TE in name only. He just does not have the frame size to add the 25 lbs he would need to play the position properly. Then you add in, how much does he lose in speed and quickness with the added gain in weight. He is not a speedster by any means, but he is not slow either and speed guys usually fall off quickly in speed when you add weight to their frame. I just do not see it happening with COdy and it being beneficial. I could be wrong though. Then when you add in that we just may lose Sanders next year and Cody all of a sudden becomes very important for the future.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Latimer is very fast - timed at 4.39 forty with a broken foot.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If switched, Latimer would be a TE in name only. He just does not have the frame size to add the 25 lbs he would need to play the position properly. Then you add in, how much does he lose in speed and quickness with the added gain in weight. He is not a speedster by any means, but he is not slow either and speed guys usually fall off quickly in speed when you add weight to their frame. I just do not see it happening with COdy and it being beneficial. I could be wrong though. Then when you add in that we just may lose Sanders next year and Cody all of a sudden becomes very important for the future.

Yeah he would basically be like a Travis Beckum, Tony Scheffler type TE.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway you design a play - Latimer is a plus blocker - I like his game for that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he could be an In-Line TE. Just size wise him getting chipped by the DE could just about knock him to the ground. I know he is strong and a willing blocker but I think he would get destroyed if asked to play that traditional TE role. Now the Flex-TE position that is pretty much a glorified slot receiver with size yeah I could see him and him being that cut back guy on those outside zone runs where a DE doesn't see him coming from the slot position to hit him hard.

Still I think they will keep him at that WR position.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latimer has the speed and he had the best hands of his draft class. There is still a lot of hope for him as a WR. I think he will turn it around this year with a new QB who might be on the same page with him. I have a feeling he respected Manning (As Latimer seems like a good guy) but just wasn't on the same page with him. The game was too fast for him his first two years.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latimer has the speed and he had the best hands of his draft class. There is still a lot of hope for him as a WR. I think he will turn it around this year with a new QB who might be on the same page with him. I have a feeling he respected Manning (As Latimer seems like a good guy) but just wasn't on the same page with him. The game was too fast for him his first two years.

Sure were a lot of stud WRs in that draft and he's bringing up the rear. One of the best in a long time.
Hope he can turn it on cause right now his main drawback seems to be his football IQ. Not sure if anyone can solve that.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out this year.

At least he has been a special teams standout. Not something you wanna settle on when taking a 2nd round pick, but he at least gets the Willie Middlebrooks award.

I am looking forward to seeing Latimer's improvement this year. We will find out a lot about him as a WR this year. If he has it or not.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latimer is versatile - and fearless - not hiding behind his ego when he plays special teams. I don't think you ue him in quite the same way you use Norwood or Fowler.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still hoping Bralon Addison can win the return duties weather we keep 5 or 6 WR's.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still hoping Bralon Addison can win the return duties weather we keep 5 or 6 WR's.

What does the "weather" have to do with it? Springstein......!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Addison is pretty use to playing in the rain beings he is from Oregon. So that could be a deciding factor.