• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can a Texas fan explain this?

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longhorns haven't produced an NFL Offensive line draft pick since Tony Hills in 2007 in the 4th round. As Texas basically gets to 'hand pick' their recruits, how have they seemed to completely miss on offensive linemen? Or is your OL coach completely worthless? I just thought it was an interesting stat seeing how 5 solid positions for over 6 years now Texas hasn't produced anyone with NFL talent.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing on 2 kids in back to back years that contacted texas custhey wanted to go there doesnt sound too bad, unless those 2 kids are named johnny maziel and jameis winston (fuck sp on both).

Dafuq wrong with mack brown?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can answer it. MACK BROWN! Smoke and mirrors on recruiting. His recruiting is ALL media hype. I've said it for years, Mr. February, isn't so Februarish! Take a look at today's USA Today Newspaper. 3 Texas Aggies in the first round projected. These are Sherman's recruits before he got canned. Texas has none. Here's a coach that ends up getting canned who out recruited Mack Brown. You do the math. Frustrated? Yeah, I'm frustrated.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longhorns haven't produced an NFL Offensive line draft pick since Tony Hills in 2007 in the 4th round. As Texas basically gets to 'hand pick' their recruits, how have they seemed to completely miss on offensive linemen? Or is your OL coach completely worthless? I just thought it was an interesting stat seeing how 5 solid positions for over 6 years now Texas hasn't produced anyone with NFL talent.

Uhhhh, I explained this on the previous boards in great detail... what top OLiner wants to come and learn the Greg Davis' patty-cake style of zone blocking? And what NFL GM wants to recruit some kid who learned the Greg Davis style of patty-cake zone blocking?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is pretty common knowledge to Texas fans.

One, we've change the offense 4 times in those years, and gone from a zone read to a spread to a power run back to a spread.......there's no consistency of message or philosophy.

VY was the last QB to actually have a credible OL in front of him. This is one of the main reasons Texas has been down. Most here would blame the QB but if the OL is solid the QB really doesn't matter that much if everyone else is playing well.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing on 2 kids in back to back years that contacted texas custhey wanted to go there doesnt sound too bad, unless those 2 kids are named johnny maziel and jameis winston (fuck sp on both).

Dafuq wrong with mack brown?

Dafuq wrong with you? Maybe you should actually look at who they took in those classes and WHY those kids weren't taken.

You can't just look at every kid they didn't take like it was OBVIOUS those kids would be all world or something.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I can not explain this. That is why I think change is needed.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we didn't recruit the position very well for one thing from 2004-2009 which is what you would have seen drafted since 2007. Several players still made NFL rosters despite not being drafted. When we got good prospects they did okay.

Highly rated OL prospects

2004 G Cedric Dockery-All conference player who just never made an NFL team due to lack of NFL talent.
2006 T Jamarcus Webb-Left Texas after freshman year. Played in the NFL.
2007 T Kyle Hix-Played in the NFL
2007 G Tray Allen-huge bust
2007 G Michael Huey-Played in the NFL
2008 G David Snow-Played in the NFL
2008 T Mark Buchanan-bust

Since 2009

2009 T Paden Kelly
2009 G Mason Walters
2009 G Thomas Ashcraft
2010 G Trey Hopkins
2010 C Dominic Espinosa
2011 T Garrett Greanlea
2011 G Sedrick Flowers
2012 G Curtis Riser
2012 T Kennedy Estelle
2012 T Camhron Huges
2013 C Jake Raulerson
2013 G Darius James
2013 T Kent Perkins

I have no doubt a bunch of these guys will be drafted. This year alone Mason Walters and Trey Hopkins should be. Although I kind of consider Walters a disappointment even though he is a multi year starter who will be drafted. Hopkins has been nails and Texas best OL for a couple years. Mid round draft pick due to physical limitations but most likely a solid NFL starter for years IMO.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were also quite a few with career ending injuries. There were rumors that many players weren't regularly participating in the strength & conditioning program when it was run by Madden. That has changed now that Wylie taken it over.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not some breaking news story.

Part of the reason, the program went sideways a bit is that Mack Brown noticed a decline in offensive line production.

Texas switched to more run oriented attack and started drafting Offensive Linemen like crazy the last few season.

In 2010, Texas made it the #1 priority going forward.

The 2013 class might have been the best offensive line class since Mack got there....

Texas put a priority on re-energizing that unit.

I think Texas will have quite a few offensive linemen drafted in the next few drafts.

So, lets post a topic that Texas understood and made priority #1 3 years ago.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The oLine coach, Wharton, also got fired over his lack of production.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhhh, I explained this on the previous boards in great detail... what top OLiner wants to come and learn the Greg Davis' patty-cake style of zone blocking? And what NFL GM wants to recruit some kid who learned the Greg Davis style of patty-cake zone blocking?

Nebraska needs to play the Texas O line. Nebraska's D line is taught the patty cake type of defense. Thad Randle is absolutely awesome at it, plus he is from Texas.

Good lord, I search for Patty Cake Movies and I found one of a baby and the rest were p0rn.

Sounds like there is a market for a good, wholesome patty cake movie starring the Longhorn Offensive line and the Cornhusker Defensive line.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so much anymore.....

Mack has made some mistakes, but the offensive line focus is actually starting to pay dividends.

It takes by far and away the longest to rebuild, but it can turn you into a 10 win juggernaut once you get it rolling.

From 2004-2009, the Texas offensive line decayed rather badly. But, the unbelievable raw talents of Vince Young and Colt McCoy simply hid the decay.

Mack is paying the price a bit for being blind to the decay in 2004-2009.

Once an average quarterback got behind center, it became readily apparent in 2010 the O-line was a complete mess.

Mack has a done a solid job in getting it back on track the last 3 seasons of recruiting.

it is actually a STRENGTH of the 2013 squad and not a WEAKNESS anymore.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the Texas OLine after 2006, and really even before: First move is to stand up, shift sideways, place palms on Defenders.
Same reason why we haven't had great RBs [Jamaal only got good later]: What top RB recruit wants to come to a system where the OLine blocks that way and where he is asked to run counters in the shotgun starting from a dead stop??