• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BYU's Mendenhall: Cougars would 'love to be' invited to Big 12

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU's Mendenhall: Cougars would 'love to be' invited to Big 12

By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer

June 6, 2014 2:18 pm ET

mendenhall-big-12-fun.jpg
Bronco Mendenhall believes BYU in the Big 12 'makes a lot of sense.' (USATSI)

More college football: Jon Solomon | Dennis Dodd | Jeremy Fowler | Latest news
The push for governing autonomy for the FBS's Power 5 has unsurprisingly caused more than a little apprehension among their counterparts in the Group of 5 -- see Boise State president Bob Kustra's recent rip job on proposed NCAA reforms, or UCF coach George O'Leary's comparison of the Power 5's "Divison 4" talk to the saber-rattling from the Civil War-era South.
Though addressing the same basic issue in a Thursday conversation with the Austin American-Statesman, BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall took a much different rhetorical tack: if you can't beat 'em*, join 'em.
“We would love to be in the Big 12,” Mendenhall said. “I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense. In fact, if that was your headline [ed.--it was], that would be great.”
Following the ACC's and SEC's decisions that scheduling BYU will not count towards those leagues' required power-conference nonconference, the Cougars appear to be on the outside looking in of the upper tier of college football; it's no real surprise that Mendenhall would start publicly asking for some help from the Big 12, the only major conference not already at at least 12 teams. Bob Bowlsby's league was also strongly linked with the Cougars, potentially as a football-only school, during its 2011 realignment upheaval.
But it's nonetheless a bit of a surprise that Mendenhall would be quite so bold about looking for an invitation, and it makes it all the more unfortunate -- from a Cougar perspective -- that the Big 12 reportedly isn't looking to expand.
Of course, plenty of conferences back in the great 2011-2012 realignment shakeup said they weren't looking to expand ... just before they did. And it's not as if the Big 12 didn't already invite West Virginia -- another school home to multiple traditionally successful athletics programs, despite a low-population home state and relatively smaller national profile.
Until the Big 12 does get back to 12 teams (and maybe even after that), BYU can say "never say never," and we won't blame them a bit.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU and Cincy, good to get the Big 12 to twelve NOW!!!

Then, hunt for big boys. FSU, Clemson, VaTECH, etc.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way BYU and UCF or USF...markets are bigger than cincy..and you need a footprint in FL

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see BYU and UCF being added at one time, not sure how soon. I think they would get a deal similar to what Utah has in the PAC12. Less revenue. When the Big12 took us they needed a team bad. They are not in that position at this time.

Cinncy brings nothing to the table. I really don't see where USF brings much either. USF has been headed down hill for a while now and no real following. UCF is huge and is growing.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USF is the largest college in Florida and the 13th biggest TV market in the nation. With the BIG 12 beside both of these teams I think they would take off as far as quality of player signed there.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USF is the largest college in Florida and the 13th biggest TV market in the nation. With the BIG 12 beside both of these teams I think they would take off as far as quality of player signed there.

You have USF and UCF mixed up. :suds:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe on enrollment but not on market size...I would take them both if I was the big 12.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO UCF would be a great investment, USF COULD be, but I wasn't impressed with them in the BE being in that part of Florida with access to so many in state recruits and not having that dominate run that one would have expected, at least for a year or two.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO MORE PRIVATE SCHOOLS! This conference has enough with Baylor and TCU, plus, Mormons are fucking weirdos.....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

It would be no different than why the SEC added Mizzou to some degree and the Big 10 adding Maryland and Rutgers......

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati provides a lot of upside. That gets you into Cincinnati AND Columbus marketplaces. (OSU usually plays at noon, Big 12 usually plays 3:30 kickoffs) Its between WVU and Iowa St. They have a solid football team, a ready made large stadium with an NFL team there, and would hurt the ACC some by pulling on Louisville's market a little.

I love USF or UCF, but I think there is some growth needed by those two schools in terms of tradition. If somehow they could get in the Mountain West... but geography is a serious problem. They are too good for the AAC, not up to par in the Big 12 in my opinion.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati provides a lot of upside. That gets you into Cincinnati AND Columbus marketplaces. (OSU usually plays at noon, Big 12 usually plays 3:30 kickoffs) Its between WVU and Iowa St. They have a solid football team, a ready made large stadium with an NFL team there, and would hurt the ACC some by pulling on Louisville's market a little.

I love USF or UCF, but I think there is some growth needed by those two schools in terms of tradition. If somehow they could get in the Mountain West... but geography is a serious problem. They are too good for the AAC, not up to par in the Big 12 in my opinion.

You could make the same argument for Marshall except for the stadium.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

It would be no different than why the SEC added Mizzou to some degree and the Big 10 adding Maryland and Rutgers......

One would think Texas would be chomping at the bit to add those markets and programs if for no other reason their network. Orlando/Tampa or some of the other markets that get mentioned (I'd like Penn for academics and Philly + a PA team for us) would be a nice place to put on a T3 game like those would be (at least at first) to get eyeballs on LHN.
My guess is Texas and ESPN mutually agree to let it play out until it's proven a failure or success and then either A: part ways... With Texas moving on to the highest paying conference and letting the B12 crumble in the process or B: pick up those programs at that time and hit those markets with a head of steam.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really doesn't...in Ohio if Ohio State is not on then Ohio is not watching..you really think your going to steal market share in COLUMBUS?..not only is that the HOME of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY..but their only professional team can't draw during the regular season...can't see an argument being made for Cinncy at all...the only reason they were a Big East team is becuase the Big East was desperate...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would think Texas would be chomping at the bit to add those markets and programs if for no other reason their network. Orlando/Tampa or some of the other markets that get mentioned (I'd like Penn for academics and Philly + a PA team for us) would be a nice place to put on a T3 game like those would be (at least at first) to get eyeballs on LHN.
My guess is Texas and ESPN mutually agree to let it play out until it's proven a failure or success and then either A: part ways... With Texas moving on to the highest paying conference and letting the B12 crumble in the process or B: pick up those programs at that time and hit those markets with a head of steam.

I think so to, but I don't think it's that easy...The power of the SEC and ACC would find away to keep the Big12 out...I'm not a TV guy...but I am not sure they would get help from ESPN or Fox since they are over saturated in the Southeast already, I am not sure that it provides any lift for them so they would not likely ally themselves with the Big12...could be wrong though.. :scratch: