• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bud Selig

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering what you guys thought of his tenure as MLB commissioner. Outside of my dad's hatred for him with the Pilots I actually think he has done a good job. My only real issues with him are

His lack of balls with the MLBPA. The skyrocketing salaries, the PED crap and the luxury tax.

His lack of foresight, his allowing baseball to become so regional with the television contracts and him not making little concessions to keep the game popular with the younger ADD crowd.

Outside of those few things I think he has been a better commissioner than Tagliabue, Goodell or Stern during the same time.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig is an assclown. Thanks to him what should be a celebration of MLB's talent the AS Game now means home field for the winner. Not to mention it was under Selig's wonderful watch that we ended up w/ the **Steriod Era** of baseball. Not saying he's 100% to blame but after all he is the current Commish. And speaking of Stern didn't the NBA have more growth under his watch than any other NBA commish? And Sheriff Goodell...no comment other than he's a damn puppet.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern was a corrupt vindictive evil piece of **** as a commissioner. He helped screw Seattle so bad that I cant even watch ANY basketball anymore, not just the nba.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern was a corrupt vindictive evil piece of **** as a commissioner. He helped screw Seattle so bad that I cant even watch ANY basketball anymore, not just the nba.

Hey I never said I was a fan of his, just pointing out the one good thing he did.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I never said I was a fan of his, just pointing out the one good thing he did.

I wasn't attacking your comment about him, sorry if it looked that way. What I said was just my standard response about stern.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better than most is all i'll say

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig is an assclown. Thanks to him what should be a celebration of MLB's talent the AS Game now means home field for the winner. Not to mention it was under Selig's wonderful watch that we ended up w/ the **Steriod Era** of baseball. Not saying he's 100% to blame but after all he is the current Commish. And speaking of Stern didn't the NBA have more growth under his watch than any other NBA commish? And Sheriff Goodell...no comment other than he's a damn puppet.

My issue with him and the MLBPA is two fold, first the steroid era was started prior to Selig, MLBPA's strike kind of scuddled any chance that he could've done to stop it even though it was much better under him than in the 80's. Baseball needed steroids because of the MLBPA.

I hate the all star game effecting the WS but is it really any worse than the pro bowl or the atrocity that is the NBA all star game? The NBA all star game isn't even basketball and some of the best players can't play in the pro bowl. But the MLB all star has started dying because of interleague IMO which is on Bud Selig.

The growth and popularity of the NBA with Stern reminds me of Landis with MLB, basketball was already a global sport which Stern had nothing to do with, Nike became a global brand which he had nothing to do with. Landis had nothing to do with cleaning up the sport as he only expelled the Black Sox but allowed others like Cobb and Speaker to continue playing and baseball flourished because of Babe Ruth much like with basketball it flourished because of Magic, Bird, Jordan and the Bad Boys.

And obviously I dislike Stern because of his illegal activities involving Seattle but I really can't give him credit for anything that happened in the NBA as IMO he was just lucky of being in the right place at the right time. And under his watch cities started getting blackmailed with his again illegal activities. Bribery and extortion are illegal which he committed several times.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig's Good...

Wild Card
Overall finances
Replay
Not over-ruling Giamotti re: Rose

Selig's Bad...

Steroids
ASG "This time it means something"
Interleague
Average age of fanbase

Overall, I think he is a negative, but I don't think his net was as bad as many talk about.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the steroids thing is moronic

unless you were a fucking moron, you knew a lot of guys were on roids for a long time. when bonds, sosa, and mcgwire were doing all of their huge hitting for the better part of a decade, baseball's popularity was at an all time high. it wasn't just those guys either, it was ubiquitous, and everybody knew it.

if fans had been truly upset about them juicing enough to kill an elephant, that wouldn't be the case. they would've shown their convictions long before congress started doing its thing to score cheap political points with sheeple.

anybody who watched mlb back then (or the nfl now) who gets all huffy and morally indignant about PED are pure hypocrites. shut the fuck up.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig was OK. I think the dumbest idea to come out of his tenurre was giving World Series homefield to the winner of the All Star game, which is played like an exhibition game. I'm not too crazy about the second wild card either.

But all in all, his tenure wasn't bad. Can't blame roids on him either. Roids entering MLB was part of the natural evolution of the game. Roids were going to find their way in sooner or later, regardless of who was commissioner. His efforts at initiating drug testing may have come later than some wished, but you also have to remember that he had to deal with the strongest player's union in professional team sports and from what I have read, the union always balked at earlier attempts to initiate testing.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig's Good...

Wild Card
Overall finances
Replay
Not over-ruling Giamotti re: Rose

Selig's Bad...

Steroids
ASG "This time it means something"
Interleague
Average age of fanbase

Overall, I think he is a negative, but I don't think his net was as bad as many talk about.

The Pete Rose thing is a political lightening rod among fans. Very few people are soft on the subject. Most are either completely oppose his lifetime ban or completely support it. A smart fan would not venture into this arguement. I'm not always very smart, so I'll offer my opinion: keep the lifetime ban and after he dies extend his ban to a permanent post-humous ban.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pete Rose thing is a political lightening rod among fans. Very few people are soft on the subject. Most are either completely oppose his lifetime ban or completely support it. A smart fan would not venture into this arguement. I'm not always very smart, so I'll offer my opinion: keep the lifetime ban and after he dies extend his ban to a permanent post-humous ban.

The Pete Rose thing is another one I forgot about. I don't think most baseball people necessarily disagree with the lifetime ban, as a fan I have an issue that he isn't eligible for the HOF. The reason he was banned was for his betting as a coach, they still need to recognize his accomplishments as a player. Don't allow him to coach or instruct or whatever but he isn't in the HOF because of a personal grudge not because of a rule that was caused by how cheap owners were nearly a century ago.

That is an example IMO of something that is wrong with baseball and the old timers. The stance was always if Pete admitted it then they would discuss it, but they haven't even though they allow guys like Cobb and Speaker in the HOF. Canseco is blacklisted from the game but Pettite was welcomed back with open arms, Rivera is going to be a first ballot HOFer but Edgar isn't going to, they defend the unwritten rules but once Posey goes down or a brawl happens then those rules go out the window.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pete Rose thing is another one I forgot about. I don't think most baseball people necessarily disagree with the lifetime ban, as a fan I have an issue that he isn't eligible for the HOF. The reason he was banned was for his betting as a coach, they still need to recognize his accomplishments as a player. Don't allow him to coach or instruct or whatever but he isn't in the HOF because of a personal grudge not because of a rule that was caused by how cheap owners were nearly a century ago.

That is an example IMO of something that is wrong with baseball and the old timers. The stance was always if Pete admitted it then they would discuss it, but they haven't even though they allow guys like Cobb and Speaker in the HOF. Canseco is blacklisted from the game but Pettite was welcomed back with open arms, Rivera is going to be a first ballot HOFer but Edgar isn't going to, they defend the unwritten rules but once Posey goes down or a brawl happens then those rules go out the window.

My understanding of the HOF is that it is a separate entity from MLB and Selig has no power to say is or is not eligible. He has influence, but not authority.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding of the HOF is that it is a separate entity from MLB and Selig has no power to say is or is not eligible. He has influence, but not authority.

I was under the assumption that someone banned from the game is ineligible for the HOF? Maybe that has just been their cop out excuse so I stand corrected, either way the HOF has become a joke, people not voting unanimous because other people weren't blah blah, I'm not voting for him because of steroids blah blah. I hate the moral compass of some of these old school writers who covered up crap so they could stay in good graces of the players such as Ford Frick who it is a sham that he has an award named after him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the assumption that someone banned from the game is ineligible for the HOF? Maybe that has just been their cop out excuse so I stand corrected, either way the HOF has become a joke, people not voting unanimous because other people weren't blah blah, I'm not voting for him because of steroids blah blah. I hate the moral compass of some of these old school writers who covered up crap so they could stay in good graces of the players such as Ford Frick who it is a sham that he has an award named after him.

Agreed. HOF has become ridiculous. Veteran's committee is full of players who took speed in the 50s, 60s, and 70s but they have issues with PED users. BBWAA voters are a bunch of alcoholics who no doubt did their share of cocaine back in the 80s (at least, the ones who go back that far).

HOF voting is almost as bad as the Gold Glove voting. My last straw with them was when Jim Rice got in on his last year of eligibility. Fucking joke. He has a nice run from 77-79, but shouldn't be a HOFer. The fucking Boston media and ESPN campaigned for him forever, which is also bullshit on a whole different level. I mean, if he wasn't good enough in his first 14 years of eligibility, then what suddenly made him good enough in the 15th year?

If a player is good enough to be in the HOF, don't make him wait x amount of years to get in, put him in immediately. Who cares if there are 10 inductees one year and zero the next? Why does it fucking matter?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya no clue, not sure how any guy who is a HOFer can only receive 30% in his first few years. The dude is retired, it's not like all of a sudden his career got a boost. And kind of hard to also take it seriously (even though they used steroids) that Bonds and McGwire aren't in. You can't just erase an era of the sport when others dealt with cocaine and speed which in it's own way is a PED.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig has somehow survived at his job of nibblin owner's cocks. Any other CEO job and he would have been gone long ago.

But for the first 10 years of his tenure he was getting rammed by the MLBPA as well.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering what you guys thought of his tenure as MLB commissioner. Outside of my dad's hatred for him with the Pilots I actually think he has done a good job. My only real issues with him are

His lack of balls with the MLBPA. The skyrocketing salaries, the PED crap and the luxury tax.

His lack of foresight, his allowing baseball to become so regional with the television contracts and him not making little concessions to keep the game popular with the younger ADD crowd.

Outside of those few things I think he has been a better commissioner than Tagliabue, Goodell or Stern during the same time.
Bud Selig has done a great job as commissioner.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selig has somehow survived at his job of nibblin owner's cocks. Any other CEO job and he would have been gone long ago.
Wrong... Under his direction MLB has grown in popularity.