• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BU to the cowboys?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it that BU will play for the cowboys this year. Not written in stone but rumors are flying. Anyone else hearing anything?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Noon, you sure that rumor isn't from 2013 and 2014, both years the same rumor came up?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible Cali, but it popped up this morning on a football web site, said he will be 37 this year so that means it's current. I'm just asking if anyone heard it besides me. Probably just a BS rumor.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a very hard time believing that. Would be pretty stunned.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just googled the rumor, every article talking about it is from June 2014. So, this time last year. I see nothing from this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight I may have jumped the gun. I did not check the date on the piece that I saw. Not sure why it popped up today tho. It said BU would be 37, how old is he right now? Hell I asked if anyone else has heard this rumor on another board and the responses have been nothing short of spectacular. Believe me guys when I say this board is far and away the best posters out there. Sure we fight sometimes but we respect each other too. Them boys think they tore me a new one, but I laughed so hard the last hour it was well worth my time. Thanks NCC for trying to stick up for me but don't stick your neck out for me. I enjoy a good beat down. Maybe I'm damaged that way. lol. But I truly enjoyed it all. I was called everything but a white boy. But I do appreciate you trying NCC. You da man.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in all fairness, if Urlacher was still allowed to play middle linebacker in Chicago, not back pedal to safety on what seemed like every down, he would have still been a player here. Thats the difference between Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher, Lewis was allowed to go forward his entire career, Urlacher spend half the time going backwards. Well that and Brian was not responsible for killing anyone either.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in all fairness, if Urlacher was still allowed to play middle linebacker in Chicago, not back pedal to safety on what seemed like every down, he would have still been a player here. Thats the difference between Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher, Lewis was allowed to go forward his entire career, Urlacher spend half the time going backwards. Well that and Brian was not responsible for killing anyone either.

I am very confused. Are you actually insinuating that Ray Lewis did not have to go into a pass drop on pass plays? lol

Or is it that Urlacher was forced to go into a pass drop on run plays?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very confused. Are you actually insinuating that Ray Lewis did not have to go into a pass drop on pass plays? lol

Or is it that Urlacher was forced to go into a pass drop on run plays?

I dont know, maybe I should have watched Lewis entire career before posting an obvious point.

Ray lewis was always given the opportunity to go forward. More times than not, Urlacher was up at the line with briggs and back tracking to catch up to the middle deep part of the field in the cover 2. If you did not see that in his final seasons, you just were not paying attention.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm more than a little confused by this. Going forward into the point of attack is WAY harder on a body than dropping into coverage. Why would his playing more at the LOS have led to his career being extended?

Love the murder observation, though. Yes, that counts as a difference.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more than a little confused by this. Going forward into the point of attack is WAY harder on a body than dropping into coverage. Why would his playing more at the LOS have led to his career being extended?

Love the murder observation, though. Yes, that counts as a difference.

Urlacher could not get to the middle deep part of the field anymore. it made Urlacher look inneffective as he was chasing back half the plays he was on the field. We saw it the first year he was gone, nobody could get there, not DJ, not Bostic, nobody they put in the middle could get to the place Urlacher got for years.

Never mind, I thought since nobody was a dick to a guy for posting an article that was a year late news, there might have been a chance for a discussion that Urlacher could have played in the right system. Guess I just let the pack have a chance to jump on an idiot again. You're welcome.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for me Lewis was used to fit his skill set and Brian had to play in a system. Ray played closer to the line of scrimmage and got more freedom to make plays while Brian had to stay within the system more.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know, maybe I should have watched Lewis entire career before posting an obvious point.

Ray lewis was always given the opportunity to go forward. More times than not, Urlacher was up at the line with briggs and back tracking to catch up to the middle deep part of the field in the cover 2. If you did not see that in his final seasons, you just were not paying attention.

This does not change the fact that your original post makes absolutely zero sense.

How many times per play a linebacker plays downhill, versus dropping into a pass drop is not dictated by the defensive scheme he plays in. It's dictated by how many pass plays are called versus run plays by the opposition.

No matter what scheme you play in. At the MLB position, you drop back on pass plays and play downhill on run plays.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for me Lewis was used to fit his skill set and Brian had to play in a system. Ray played closer to the line of scrimmage and got more freedom to make plays while Brian had to stay within the system more.

The Tampa 2 system was an absolute gold mine for BU. His athleticism was what allowed him to be fantastic at dropping back into coverage, and playing sideline to sideline so well on running plays.

And the MLB in any cover 2 scheme has a lot of freedom. Lining up closer to the LOS, does not necessarily give a MLB an advantage on run plays. It gives you less time to read the play/read your keys. If your jammed up towards the middle close to the LOS, and the offense runs off tackle. You are at a disadvantage trying to get to the outside and to the point of attack.

In any 4-3… the MLB is responsible for covering a hell of a lot of ground on run plays.

In the 3-4, what we will see this season. That is a VERY methodic defensive scheme, as far as the front seven goes. Very gap control orientated. For ILB's… read your key (the guard positioned in front of you), fill your gap accordingly, always play downhill.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does not change the fact that your original post makes absolutely zero sense.

How many times per play a linebacker plays downhill, versus dropping into a pass drop is not dictated by the defensive scheme he plays in. It's dictated by how many pass plays are called versus run plays by the opposition.

No matter what scheme you play in. At the MLB position, you drop back on pass plays and play downhill on run plays.
there was never a linebacker that played 30 yards deep in the cover two like urlacher did. middle linebackers drop back, usually just to the level of the short zone, 10-15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Urlacher played middle deep from his position and lovie kept expecting him to get back there in the last years of his career. Ray Lewis was side line to sideline, other linebackers went back in coverage. Nobody played middle deep like urlacher, which is why everyone they brought in to try to replace him failed.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway, thats all I meant from the beginning, Urlacher was a safety in college and when the cover 2 really worked here it was three safeties deep, Urlacher covering the middle. Thats why I posted so many times that if you want the linebacker to get back there, and he cannot get back there, then he needs to start back there, not at the center and sprinting chasing the tight end or running back. But they kept that stupid Briggs and whoever at the gaps when every team knew they were not coming, it just gave them 5 more steps to try to catch up. Urlacher could not do it anymore, nobody was able to even keep up with where he was getting.

So the whole deal was, if they changed that defense to get somebody else back there and allow Urlacher to run the majority of plays sideline to sideline, he could have made a few more years. If it still does not make sense to you, I guess I am the only one that payed attention to it.

C

cubzzzfanincali

They played very little Tampa 2 in Urlacher's last year. Very little, maybe 10% of the snaps. His sideline to sideline speed was gone by then anyway, which is why he had such a mediocre year (compared to his loftily-set standard). He was done.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was never a linebacker that played 30 yards deep in the cover two like urlacher did. middle linebackers drop back, usually just to the level of the short zone, 10-15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Urlacher played middle deep from his position and lovie kept expecting him to get back there in the last years of his career. Ray Lewis was side line to sideline, other linebackers went back in coverage. Nobody played middle deep like urlacher, which is why everyone they brought in to try to replace him failed.

You're still making no sense man.

You talk about how Urlacher had to drop back deep on pass plays, and then talk about Lewis going sideline to sideline. Ray Lewis 100% dropped back in coverage as well. I've seen tape of him doing it MANY times. You're just wrong.

30 yards off of the LOS? lol… Give me a break dude.

Not to mention, as stated in this thread. The Bears ran very little Tampa 2 by the time Urlacher was in the latter portion of his career. They really were only a true Tampa 2 defense his first few years in the scheme.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the whole deal was, if they changed that defense to get somebody else back there and allow Urlacher to run the majority of plays sideline to sideline, he could have made a few more years. If it still does not make sense to you, I guess I am the only one that payed attention to it.

But… no MLB just plays sideline to sideline on pass plays, AI. They all going into a drop.

You clearly did not pay attention to anything man. You're just making things up. Which is nothing new.

Urlacher never, at any point in his career, was required to get as deep as both safeties.