• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Britt Reid update

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Unreal.
It’s disgusting but not surprising sadly - he is rich and well connected, and justice is rarely served in cases involving the rich and well connected - they get special treatment. There should be massive backlash against the governor for commuting the sentence, I wonder if he got a nice donation in exchange for it.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While his sentence was commuted the article also says he did more time than most people convicted of similar offenses. He is still on house arrest until 10/2025 and may never work in the NFL again.
So playing devils advocate let’s say he served his full sentence and was let out then went back to work in the NFL. At what point do we say he served his time and paid his “debt” to society? If as some feel and I’m not pointing any finger it will never be repaid then what hope does anyone convicted of any Crime ever have of rebuilding a life in society.
Let me ask y’all what if it was your friend that made this terrible mistake? At what point does the punishment stop and the healing rebuilding begin? And I’m not advocating for Britt at all just asking questions in general.
I am also not discounting the little girl that was hurt just putting that in a different column for this observation.
This man along with so many others in our criminal Justice system will forever be known for what will probably be the very worst day of his life when he made some really bad and stupid choices. Do we ever give folks like this a chance to move forward or must they always carry the albatross of that day and not be allowed to positively contribute to society. And if not what could he possibly do to prove he has learned his lesson?
just view from a different perspective

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While his sentence was commuted the article also says he did more time than most people convicted of similar offenses. He is still on house arrest until 10/2025 and may never work in the NFL again.
So playing devils advocate let’s say he served his full sentence and was let out then went back to work in the NFL. At what point do we say he served his time and paid his “debt” to society? If as some feel and I’m not pointing any finger it will never be repaid then what hope does anyone convicted of any Crime ever have of rebuilding a life in society.
Let me ask y’all what if it was your friend that made this terrible mistake? At what point does the punishment stop and the healing rebuilding begin? And I’m not advocating for Britt at all just asking questions in general.
I am also not discounting the little girl that was hurt just putting that in a different column for this observation.
This man along with so many others in our criminal Justice system will forever be known for what will probably be the very worst day of his life when he made some really bad and stupid choices. Do we ever give folks like this a chance to move forward or must they always carry the albatross of that day and not be allowed to positively contribute to society. And if not what could he possibly do to prove he has learned his lesson?
people would be more receptive to the "he served his debt to society" if that's what actually happened.

mi said:
But on Friday, with little explanation and without consulting with local prosecutors or the victims’ family, Parson commuted Reid’s sentence — allowing him to serve under house arrest until October 2025.

The reason he was sentenced to more time is because that's what the evidence dictated. The car that he hit wasn't even moving. A child in that car suffered permanent injuries.

Of course it's not Reid's fault the Governor commuted his sentence.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people would be more receptive to the "he served his debt to society" if that's what actually happened.

The reason he was sentenced to more time is because that's what the evidence dictated. The car that he hit wasn't even moving. A child in that car suffered permanent injuries.

Of course it's not Reid's fault the Governor commuted his sentence.
So what actually happened? Did he not go to prison? He was doing his time when the sentence was commuted to house arrest with plenty of stipulations on his “freedom”.The article said nothing of evidence dictated simply that he had served more than others for the same crime committed.

Again how much is enough? At what point is the “debt” paid or must it be carried like an albatross forever? And again I’m not stumping for Reid but at some point the debt ledger must be considered balanced and clean. Otherwise it’s not a sentence of “X” time it’s a life sentence with no ability to ever move on from the worst thing he ever did.

“Ultimately, laws and procedures surrounding commuting a sentence and sentencing for criminal cases vary widely from state to state. Each state imposes different limits on commuting a sentence”
Im not an attorney or pretend to know the complicated vagaries of the legal system.

My simple point is when is the punishment for the crime committed done being weighed?

Hopefully Reid learned a very expensive and life changing lesson and never finds himself again in the same situation.

Only time will let us know.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A man was convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison. He would have been eligible for parole at a certain point. The appropriate Governor was entitled to intervene on the prisoner's behalf. These are all points I made on a similar thread that ended up being heavily censored on another forum. A good poster ended up being kicked off that forum for comments that I thought were reasonable and informative. I respect and trust the admin and mods on this site a lot more than I do on that other site but i'm dubious about commenting much further on this matter.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have zero sympathy for people who severely injure or kill others as a result of their criminal act. In this case, a girls life has been negatively altered forever. No idea why his should not be as well.