• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bradford 2 year extension

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want Osweiler as your guy going forward ?

Yes and No. I want him to be our guy but at the right price. Just seems like teams are way overpaying for mediocre QB play and those teams are the ones that continue to finish in that 7-9 to 9-7 range. Enough to think they could make the jump the next year but yet not getting into the premium picks of the draft. So that is what has me a bit worried about these contracts being handed to mediocre QB's in that Osweiler is going to see the money and want to go for it. I don't blame him if he does but I just would hope the Broncos would find another player instead of overpaying.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a qb done less to make as much money as Bradford has?

No. There isn't even a close 2nd. He is and always has been a below average QB in this league and after 8 seasons in the NFL he will have made almost $120M (not counting his endorsements).

It's good to be a QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. There isn't even a close 2nd. He is and always has been a below average QB in this league and after 8 seasons in the NFL he will have made almost $120M (not counting his endorsements).

It's good to be a QB.

Just shows how out of control the draft pick contracts had gotten. Probably one of the best things for the league was getting those under control. Kept the really bad teams in such terrible shape having to pay players that just never seemed to pan out such huge money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a pretty good contract for the Eagles. It's only 2 years and they are only on the hook for 26 million over those 2 years if he's cut after this year.

Even if they draft someone there is a high risk that he will take time to develop or not pan out.

I think it's a win-win.

PHI...like you said the real number here is $26 mil/yrs...$13 mil per is not bad for a starting QB. They can still invest a pick on a QB to groom, but now use #13 on the BPA.

Bradford...he gets $26 mil instead of the tagged amount so he makes an extra $6mil...if he plays well, he can expect a longer term extension to pad his retirement.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As are all analytic stats. Passer rating is a made up number. It's just been around longer.
It's not quite the same when QBR tries to quantify "clutchness" which is about as subjective as how you'd rate a woman on how hot she is on a scale of 1-10.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a win-win.

PHI...like you said the real number here is $26 mil/yrs...$13 mil per is not bad for a starting QB. They can still invest a pick on a QB to groom, but now use #13 on the BPA.

Bradford...he gets $26 mil instead of the tagged amount so he makes an extra $6mil...if he plays well, he can expect a longer term extension to pad his retirement.

That is not exactly true though. If he plays next year that number pumps up to $18 million a year. It is only $13 million a year if he doesn't play next year to which is a huge dead money hit for the team.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shows how out of control the draft pick contracts had gotten. Probably one of the best things for the league was getting those under control. Kept the really bad teams in such terrible shape having to pay players that just never seemed to pan out such huge money.

Yep. Those years were so insane because no one really wanted all that much to be in the top 10 because of all the money associated with draft picks.

Getting draft picks on scheduled smaller contracts was probably the best thing the NFL has done in the last 7 years.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a win-win.

This ^^

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Those years were so insane because no one really wanted all that much to be in the top 10 because of all the money associated with draft picks.

Getting draft picks on scheduled smaller contracts was probably the best thing the NFL has done in the last 7 years.

Like I said it really kept those bad teams bad. Unless they just hit on this incredible star they were screwed for the next what 5-years with a terrible contract. Believe me I was counting my lucky stars that the year the Broncos decided to be terrible was the 1st year of the new CBA so they had Von Miller locked up for a very reasonable deal.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been a HUGE proponent of always finding a vet like Bradford rather than just going with whatever rookie is available when your pick comes up. You can win with a slightly below average QB in this league and QB's bust so frequently that your are setting yourself up for disaster when you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to start for your team. You aren't doing yourself and favors, you are doing your rookie QB any favors and you aren't doing your team any favors when you paint yourself into that corner.

....but contracts like this might have me changing my tune real quick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been a HUGE proponent of always finding a vet like Bradford rather than just going with whatever rookie is available when your pick comes up. You can win with a slightly below average QB in this league and QB's bust so frequently that your are setting yourself up for disaster when you have to draft a QB in the 1st round to start for your team. You aren't doing yourself and favors, you are doing your rookie QB any favors and you aren't doing your team any favors when you paint yourself into that corner.

....but contracts like this might have me changing my tune real quick.

This is exactly why I am torn on re-signing Osweiler for the Broncos. He looked decent in his 7 games that he played but with what we are seeing teams are willing to overpay for just potential at this point. The Broncos from what I understand offered him a deal between what Foles and Dalton are making. That to me is still overpaying for what he has shown but he hasn't accepted the deal and from what I understand Cleveland is ready to open the bank and let him take what he wants. At that point I am just ready to see what a rookie can maybe bring to the table then get a veteran with some ok upside like Chase Daniel for a cheap 2-year contract.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not exactly true though. If he plays next year that number pumps up to $18 million a year. It is only $13 million a year if he doesn't play next year to which is a huge dead money hit for the team.

The point is PHI has a $26 mil commitment...that much is true.

If he stinks, yes, they will have to pay the piper to cut him, but $13 mil to get out of the deal was the price to pay for such a short term contract.

If they decide to keep him, I know it ramps up to $36 mil, but there would have to be some level of play to support that decision.

I didn't say PHI made out like a bandit...it's a win-win.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is PHI has a $26 mil commitment...that much is true.

If he stinks, yes, they will have to pay the piper to cut him, but $13 mil to get out of the deal was the price to pay for such a short term contract.

If they decide to keep him, I know it ramps up to $36 mil, but there would have to be some level of play to support that decision.

I didn't say PHI made out like a bandit...it's a win-win.

I guess to me I view it as either a 1-year $26 million contract or a 2-year $36 million contract. To me I am surprised that they didn't go after Chase Daniel. Would have been much cheaper so you could surround him with more talent and would probably be the same type of commitment of a 2-year deal. You then draft a guy in the 2nd or later rounds to try and develop and just have the two compete. Bradford to me has shown what he is in being a very mediocre QB that has been overpaid his entire career.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles re-signed QB Sam Bradford to a two-year, $36 million contract.

Another $4 million is available through incentives. The deal includes a whopping $26 million guaranteed, but we wouldn't be surprised if that number is overshooting the true guarantees a little bit. Bradford's signing coupled with Kirk Cousins being franchise tagged leaves Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brock Osweiler as this year's only semi-viable free agent quarterbacks. Bradford was largely the same player he's always been in his first year as an Eagle, lacking for consistency and missing time with injury. He posted a 7.0 YPA to go along with a 19:14 TD:INT ratio across 14 starts. Going on 29, we're not expecting the "next step" from the Oklahoma product in 2016. His deal is a reflection of how thin the quarterback pool is, not Bradford's talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to me I view it as either a 1-year $26 million contract or a 2-year $36 million contract. To me I am surprised that they didn't go after Chase Daniel. Would have been much cheaper so you could surround him with more talent and would probably be the same type of commitment of a 2-year deal. You then draft a guy in the 2nd or later rounds to try and develop and just have the two compete. Bradford to me has shown what he is in being a very mediocre QB that has been overpaid his entire career.

If they have to cut him next year...$13 mil is basically to the cap hit cost...I'm okay with that...if they keep for both years, we can probably expect him to be there 4 to 6 yrs.

I can't push back on Bradford's performance, but health or lack there of has always been his biggest criticism...not so much lack of talent.

It's clear that there is some reservation on the part of the Eagles and also Bradford himself to even accept such a contract...he knows he has something to prove.

Daniel is back up talent, like a Hoyer, etc. just less proven. IMO, if you go that route you need to move Murray, take the best QB prospect you can from the draft...I think PHI has 13, 77, 79 i.e. no 2nd rounder.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they have to cut him next year...$13 mil is basically to the cap hit cost...I'm okay with that...if they keep for both years, we can probably expect him to be there 4 to 6 yrs.

I can't push back on Bradford's performance, but health or lack there of has always been his biggest criticism...not so much lack of talent.

It's clear that there is some reservation on the part of the Eagles and also Bradford himself to even accept such a contract...he knows he has something to prove.

Daniel is back up talent, like a Hoyer, etc. just less proven. IMO, if you go that route you need to move Murray, take the best QB prospect you can from the draft...I think PHI has 13, 77, 79 i.e. no 2nd rounder.

To me it is talent as well though. He has only had 1 season with a QB Rating above 90 and that was still only 90.9 and that was just a 7 game sample. His record is down right terrible for a starting QB so even when healthy he has not been all that great. So then to go pay him possibly $18 million a year or take a huge dead money hit if he doesn't pan out this next year is just putting a lot of money towards a very mediocre player in my opinion. Again this isn't the worst decision they could have made I just don't think it was a very good one. When you throw in his injury history hard to see him making it through the season so you still need a great back up in this scenario. Now given they are only committed to 2-years so they can get out of this pretty quickly but I just was surprised by the size of the contract.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it is talent as well though. He has only had 1 season with a QB Rating above 90 and that was still only 90.9 and that was just a 7 game sample. His record is down right terrible for a starting QB so even when healthy he has not been all that great. So then to go pay him possibly $18 million a year or take a huge dead money hit if he doesn't pan out this next year is just putting a lot of money towards a very mediocre player in my opinion. Again this isn't the worst decision they could have made I just don't think it was a very good one. When you throw in his injury history hard to see him making it through the season so you still need a great back up in this scenario. Now given they are only committed to 2-years so they can get out of this pretty quickly but I just was surprised by the size of the contract.

In fairness, I see your side of this debate. I'm conceding that Bradford is not a top 10 QB, and the money is steep for what he's done recently or even in his career.

I keep saying this was a win, win...both sides win a little here imo...the biggest negative for PHI is the money and they were going to spend that anyway....could they have done better financially?...no question. There are some risks there, but they get to spread the $26 mil over 2 seasons at the very least if he falls on his face.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, I see your side of this debate. I'm conceding that Bradford is not a top 10 QB, and the money is steep for what he's done recently or even in his career.

I keep saying this was a win, win...both sides win a little here imo...the biggest negative for PHI is the money and they were going to spend that anyway....could they have done better financially?...no question. There are some risks there, but they get to spread the $26 mil over 2 seasons at the very least if he falls on his face.

I guess to me I view that $13 million next year as an elite player in this league. I mean when we look OL only the top OT's get that much, WR we are talking top-7 player, RB/TE/S we are talking top player by quite a bit, D-Line that is still a top-7 player, Linebacker that is a top-3 player, CB it is a top-5 player. So we are talking the elite players in the league that you would be missing out on for having an average at best QB. That is why I consider this a loss for the Eagles unless somehow Bradford turns into a top-10 QB for them.