• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blitzgate

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Harbaugh really is put off by it, I think he will hold it long enough to get what he needs from it. He seems like he will take it as a challenge.

Yeah, exactly, and we may have already got from it what we needed from it. If the O'Line continues to play as they did Saturday, then it would be more than reasonable to suggest that a pre-season blitz-fest by New Orleans was 'a' or 'the' turning point of this season.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You also have to keep in mind that it wasn't just the fact Payton was a scab but a scab on Harbaugh's team in Harbaugh's position so considering the type of person Harbaugh is I could see their being a grudge between them even till this day.

Not saying that's the case but I don't think it's out of left field either. But usually when a team blitzs that aggressively in preseason there is something behind it whether it's Williams sending a message to his D, a grudge between coaches, etc.

I get the feeling if Harbaugh ever gets a chance to run up the score against the Saints or a Payton coached team he's doing it and we could have What's Your Deal part 2.

Regardless the game is in the past and the Saints did the 9ers a favor because it's obvious their was a heavy emphasis on blitz pickup and blocking this past week in practice.

Hey Jikkle,

Yeah, I do understand the intimacy of the '87 connection between Harbaugh & Payton, but again, that was 24-years ago.

Something else, would not the grudge be linear and in the other direction? Thus, would it not have made more sense for Harbaugh to be the one doing the blitzing?

It really doesn't matter enough to debate it. Honestly, amidst the pure and meaningless speculation, the notion that this was payback for something that happened in '87, while (IMO) far-fetched, is as good as any other.