• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blitzgate

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok, from the articles that I've read. This is what I've pieced together. Harbaugh does not like Peyton at all. Peyton was a scab during the strike when JH was playing. So, JH didn't meet with Peyton before the game to go over how long to play starters etc etc.... Peyton got butthurt and acted 5 years old. The end. I've seen all this info in 3 separate articles but none of them put it all together. And it makes perfect sense. Not even Belicheat is dickish enough to try to blitz so hard it can hurt players in preseason.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it was probably the best thing that could have happened to the Niners. The Niners clearly weren't all on the same page with their protection schemes, and they showed a lot of progress this past week. I fully expect them to have it down come week 1.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, from the articles that I've read. This is what I've pieced together. Harbaugh does not like Peyton at all. Peyton was a scab during the strike when JH was playing. So, JH didn't meet with Peyton before the game to go over how long to play starters etc etc.... Peyton got butthurt and acted 5 years old. The end. I've seen all this info in 3 separate articles but none of them put it all together. And it makes perfect sense. Not even Belicheat is dickish enough to try to blitz so hard it can hurt players in preseason.

Basically you are implying these guys are still holding a grudge from a scab game 24 years ago? It makes a nice conspiracy theory, but I'm not buying it.

According to Jim Henderson, who is repeating, "what he heard from some people", apparently Sean expected Jim to call him to compare notes on the game and when Jim did not call, Peyton told Williams to "let the dogs out."

So if you believe what "some people" told Jim Henderson, who then repeated it on the air, then, there you go. IMO, it sounds like someone trying to create a controversy where there isn't any.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, I'll just stick with my instincts on this. The Saints were still embarrassed, especially Gregg Williams, at how the Seahawks blew up their defense for 400 some yards... and the 49ers just happened to be the first team they played. Add that with the 49ers not expecting an all out blitz attack, then you get what happened in that game.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmmm, I'll just stick with my instincts on this. The Saints were still embarrassed, especially Gregg Williams, at how the Seahawks blew up their defense for 400 some yards... and the 49ers just happened to be the first team they played. Add that with the 49ers not expecting an all out blitz attack, then you get what happened in that game.

That works too...

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Basically you are implying these guys are still holding a grudge from a scab game 24 years ago? It makes a nice conspiracy theory, but I'm not buying it.

According to Jim Henderson, who is repeating, "what he heard from some people", apparently Sean expected Jim to call him to compare notes on the game and when Jim did not call, Peyton told Williams to "let the dogs out."

So if you believe what "some people" told Jim Henderson, who then repeated it on the air, then, there you go. IMO, it sounds like someone trying to create a controversy where there isn't any.

Not sure if you've ever met any old school union people. They take that stuff very seriously. If I told my Grandpa I shopped at Walmart, he'd flip cause they're not union. And as for scabs go, yes, they would hold grudges for 20 something years.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure if you've ever met any old school union people. They take that stuff very seriously. If I told my Grandpa I shopped at Walmart, he'd flip cause they're not union. And as for scabs go, yes, they would hold grudges for 20 something years.

I do have some experience with unions and family connections as well, so I do understand it from that perspective and I agree it is serious. I also understand the wal-mart issue as well, but the 24-year grudge, I'll just have to take your word for it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whatever the reasons for "blitzgate", the Saints had every right to blitz all game. thats part of football pre-season game or not.

now if someone is saying they did it with the intent to hurt players, thats a separate issue? for myself, didn't see this at all.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whatever the reasons for "blitzgate", the Saints had every right to blitz all game. thats part of football pre-season game or not.

now if someone is saying they did it with the intent to hurt players, thats a separate issue? for myself, didn't see this at all.

Beyond even the reasons for it, it was, IMO, a huge positive for us.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, it placed even more emphasis during practice.

Better to take an ass-kicking like that in preseason than a reg game. Did us a favor if we actually learned the lesson (early results would say yes).

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not even Belicheat is dickish enough to try to blitz so hard it can hurt players in preseason.

Funny you should use that example.....according to a Saints beat writer, Belichick did do exactly the same thing vs. the Saints in the 2010 preseason opener.

I also came up with the scab thing, and its plausible.......what can start as bad blood can over the years turn into total contempt. But I'd put the odds low there.

Maybe a mix of things, added to the fact that Harbaugh can be a pretty arrogant guy and didn't want to meet with Payton, resulted in Saints wanting to put the hammer to him early.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Funny you should use that example.....according to a Saints beat writer, Belichick did do exactly the same thing vs. the Saints in the 2010 preseason opener.

I also came up with the scab thing, and its plausible.......what can start as bad blood can over the years turn into total contempt. But I'd put the odds low there.

Maybe a mix of things, added to the fact that Harbaugh can be a pretty arrogant guy and didn't want to meet with Payton, resulted in Saints wanting to put the hammer to him early.

Lol that's crazy. Peyton probably figured here's his chancenfor payback. My problem isn't them game planning. It's potential injuries on a damn preeseason game. It's kind of an unwritten rule. Harbaughs being the bigger man about it and not saying much but I guarantee he was pissed when he saw Alex get hit from behind. I only wish they'd given Brees a couple shots too but then that would make as just as bad.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol that's crazy. Peyton probably figured here's his chancenfor payback. My problem isn't them game planning. It's potential injuries on a damn preeseason game. It's kind of an unwritten rule. Harbaughs being the bigger man about it and not saying much but I guarantee he was pissed when he saw Alex get hit from behind. I only wish they'd given Brees a couple shots too but then that would make as just as bad.

Well, maybe, just maybe, we will get our chance the same way Seattle did last year. (just maybe)

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It might be something as simple as Peyton overcompensating for Harbaugh's rookie mistake. I had read somewhere that the new league rules prohibits coachs from contacting each other to discuss preseason game plans so when Jim stated in the news that he was going to contact Peyton to discuss those very things. Peyton had to "over react" to make sure that no one would think that he took part in an illeagal conversation.

The only reason I say that is becuase going through various legal trainings, I have been instructed to do just that, over react in the opposite direction so that no one thinks I am going along with whatever is being discussed.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe, just maybe, we will get our chance the same way Seattle did last year. (just maybe)

If Harbaugh really is put off by it, I think he will hold it long enough to get what he needs from it. He seems like he will take it as a challenge.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be something as simple as Peyton overcompensating for Harbaugh's rookie mistake. I had read somewhere that the new league rules prohibits coachs from contacting each other to discuss preseason game plans so when Jim stated in the news that he was going to contact Peyton to discuss those very things. Peyton had to "over react" to make sure that no one would think that he took part in an illeagal conversation.

The only reason I say that is becuase going through various legal trainings, I have been instructed to do just that, over react in the opposite direction so that no one thinks I am going along with whatever is being discussed.

Interesting perspective. I haven't considered it in that way, but it is plausible.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know - Gregg Williams IS known for blitzing.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you. I don't know why people are getting pissed off that they blitzed so much. This is football, that's what you do when you play football. To expect teams to take it easy on any team in football is nonsense. How else are they supposed to evaluate talent?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

You also have to keep in mind that it wasn't just the fact Payton was a scab but a scab on Harbaugh's team in Harbaugh's position so considering the type of person Harbaugh is I could see their being a grudge between them even till this day.

Not saying that's the case but I don't think it's out of left field either. But usually when a team blitzs that aggressively in preseason there is something behind it whether it's Williams sending a message to his D, a grudge between coaches, etc.

I get the feeling if Harbaugh ever gets a chance to run up the score against the Saints or a Payton coached team he's doing it and we could have What's Your Deal part 2.

Regardless the game is in the past and the Saints did the 9ers a favor because it's obvious their was a heavy emphasis on blitz pickup and blocking this past week in practice.