• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Deals...

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kane and Toews agreed to identical 8yr/84 mil deals beginning 15-16. I read that they were going to take deals that were cap friendly enough to keep Chicago in the hunt every year. However, after checking CapGeek, Chicago now has 65 mil in salary tied up next year and only 15 players signed. Not sure how they will field a full squad.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might be ok for them for a few years, but when these guys get in to their 30s and start slowing down, even a little, these will be tough pills.

that's still a massive chunk to be paying two guys, especially after you've gotten a lot from them already. look at the pens situation w/ Crosby and malkin at 8.7 a piece.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might be ok for them for a few years, but when these guys get in to their 30s and start slowing down, even a little, these will be tough pills.

that's still a massive chunk to be paying two guys, especially after you've gotten a lot from them already. look at the pens situation w/ Crosby and malkin at 8.7 a piece.

Agreed with this

That being said, the Blackhawks are already deeper than Pittsburgh and Chicago has done better with drafting than Pittsburgh so I don't think it should be a major issue - they'll have to move Johnny Oduya and Patrick Sharp + let guys like Michal Rozsival walk but they shouldn't be in a bad spot immediately

Plus they have young kids like TT who are coming up in the system and if he's a good player, that's a cheap contract for a few years, which would help

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with this

That being said, the Blackhawks are already deeper than Pittsburgh and Chicago has done better with drafting than Pittsburgh so I don't think it should be a major issue - they'll have to move Johnny Oduya and Patrick Sharp + let guys like Michal Rozsival walk but they shouldn't be in a bad spot immediately

Plus they have young kids like TT who are coming up in the system and if he's a good player, that's a cheap contract for a few years, which would help

yep, that's the key these days. you can afford top flight guys if you draft well and have guys on ELCs coming in to help the cap.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we could raid their cupboard when they get desperate.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we could raid their cupboard when they get desperate.

From Bill Meltzer:

* With Kevin Hayes declining his invitation to the Chicago Blackhawks' Development Camp it is looking increasingly likely that the former first-round pick is heading toward unrestricted free agency on Aug. 15. While not closing the door on signing with Chicago, Hayes' agent, Robert Murray, had said there are a variety of factors they will consider. Since the money on an entry-level contract will be similar wherever Hayes goes, the main factor seems to be NHL playing time next season (preferably within the top six forwards).

I said this the other day: If I were Ron Hextall, I would be try to see if I could trade for Hayes' rights and getting him signed ahead of Aug. 15 rather than competing with a dozen or more NHL teams for the former first-round pick who is coming off a spectacular senior collegiate season at Boston College. Hayes would instantly become the Flyers' top offensive forward prospect and also arguably the most NHL-ready. As a natural winger, he plays a position of organizational need and has both good size and good skating ability.

If Hayes becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15, the Blackhawks will receive a compensatory second-round draft pick from the NHL. The team that signs him would NOT have to give up a pick of its own; it would just be an extra pick granted under NHL rules.

As such, it is probably "better" asset management to simply wait and see if your team could land Hayes as a UFA in mid-August. However, this is a case where I really do think it's beneficial to get a jump on the competition. Hayes has scoring winger upside and is an older rookie at age 22. There's a slew of NHL teams that will make a pitch to him if the Hawks can't get a deal done and he goes UFA. I would think Philly could make a pretty good pitch, seeing as how there may be an opportunity in the near future for him to play on the second line or perhaps even on Claude Giroux's line.

With the NHL's bonus cushion, Hayes' 2014-15 cap hit would not be all that tough to incorporate once the Flyers get cap-compliant to start the season. They could simply make a paper transaction to assign him the Phantoms and then immediately recall him when they get their long-term injured reserve list allowance for Chris Pronger.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

* With Kevin Hayes declining his invitation to the Chicago Blackhawks' Development Camp it is looking increasingly likely that the former first-round pick is heading toward unrestricted free agency on Aug. 15. While not closing the door on signing with Chicago, Hayes' agent, Robert Murray, had said there are a variety of factors they will consider. Since the money on an entry-level contract will be similar wherever Hayes goes, the main factor seems to be NHL playing time next season (preferably within the top six forwards).

I said this the other day: If I were Ron Hextall, I would be try to see if I could trade for Hayes' rights and getting him signed ahead of Aug. 15 rather than competing with a dozen or more NHL teams for the former first-round pick who is coming off a spectacular senior collegiate season at Boston College. Hayes would instantly become the Flyers' top offensive forward prospect and also arguably the most NHL-ready. As a natural winger, he plays a position of organizational need and has both good size and good skating ability.

If Hayes becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15, the Blackhawks will receive a compensatory second-round draft pick from the NHL. The team that signs him would NOT have to give up a pick of its own; it would just be an extra pick granted under NHL rules.

As such, it is probably "better" asset management to simply wait and see if your team could land Hayes as a UFA in mid-August. However, this is a case where I really do think it's beneficial to get a jump on the competition. Hayes has scoring winger upside and is an older rookie at age 22. There's a slew of NHL teams that will make a pitch to him if the Hawks can't get a deal done and he goes UFA. I would think Philly could make a pretty good pitch, seeing as how there may be an opportunity in the near future for him to play on the second line or perhaps even on Claude Giroux's line.

With the NHL's bonus cushion, Hayes' 2014-15 cap hit would not be all that tough to incorporate once the Flyers get cap-compliant to start the season. They could simply make a paper transaction to assign him the Phantoms and then immediately recall him when they get their long-term injured reserve list allowance for Chris Pronger.

I'm curious who they would give up in order to get him

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow tie the Hayes transaction to moving Vinny and Grossman and then use the Pronger salary allotment for the LTIR designation. I am not sure it could be done but that is what I would look into if I were Hextall.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow tie the Hayes transaction to moving Vinny and Grossman and then use the Pronger salary allotment for the LTIR designation. I am not sure it could be done but that is what I would look into if I were Hextall.

I would only do this from our point of view if we definitely knew we could sign him From The Hawks side I don't know if this would be the deal I would accept.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chicago does not want to add salary. They don't need or want Vinny if they have to shed salary. Hayes on the other hand would be a great addition to the Flyers club. As Bill said, trade for his rights, otherwise, the Flyers would be bidding against a lot of teams for him. If Hexy likes him, he'll make it happen.