• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beer company under fire for ‘Dumb Blonde’ variety.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you get a pair of knee pads with every purchase!

:becky:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you get a pair of knee pads with every purchase!

:becky:

I choose the cases w/o the knee pads......My dumb blonde doesn't need them.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey that reminds me.

What does a blonde do when she wakes up?

Goes home.

:drum:

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the deep ellum website

A LESSON IN OVERREACHING SEXISM
If you’re just tuning in, DEBC has been catching some serious flack this week for the use of the phrase “Goes Down Easy” to market its Dallas Blonde beer. It all started when we posted the following photo to facebook…

photo-550x309.jpg

It’s a picture of a delivery van adorning the phrase “Goes Down Easy” next to a can of Dallas Blonde. The phrase, in its literal sense, is meant to describe the easy drinking nature of the beer.

The uproar came after this post pointed to the phrase being sexist and promoting r*pe culture. Like, really? Then, there were some follow up posts, which led to some inappropriate name calling on twitter.

Sorry for that, but…

If you were being an asshole, got called an asshole, then accept being an asshole and move on. For the few who were trying to have a productive conversation, I apologize for getting caught up in the moment. I appreciate your comments.

I saw every critic of this campaign as if they were likening it to r*pe culture. It took a minute, but I then began to realize that some people were just offended by the joke. That I can understand.

As we’re all adults (if not, you should have already been directed here), let’s go ahead and bring the innuendo front and center – it’s a literal description of the beer with a blowjob joke. A double entendre. And yes, I find that funny.

What’s not funny is how that’s been interpreted to promoting r*pe culture. If anyone is to blame for promoting such thoughts, it should be those interpreting the phrase to that level. Shame on you.

The initial post likened our joke to a Belvedere ad, showing a disheveled woman with the phrase “Unlike some people, Belvedere always goes down smoothly.” I can agree that this was going too far.

But, if you somehow link all oral sex to violence against women, the problem might lay with you.

You have a choice in the way you perceive this campaign. It can be seen in its literal sense, you can choose to see the innuendo, or you can fly off the deep end and call it r*pe culture. But those are your thoughts, and your thoughts only, to own.

What’s even less funny is how these “sexist” attacks have carried over into our Cans For Cans campaign, which is raising awareness and money to fight breast cancer.

Sophia had this to say…

Screen-Shot-2013-10-21-at-4.55.18-PM-300x102.png

Sorry you feel that way Sofia, and sorry for your loss, but the person who started Foundation 56 lost his mother to cancer. I’m sure she would have gladly given up a can, a boob, a tata, tit, or whatever it took to save her life. I know her son would, and I applaud him for the work he’s done.

So, if the number one defense against breast cancer is early detection, why are two out of three women left undiagnosed? Why are so many women still dying from this disease?

We chose Foundation 56 because it’s a street level organization that is fighting this battle on the front line. They have a traveling clinic that gives free mammogram screenings, yet is only capable of 17 per day. If we can be the catalyst for a second clinic, then we’ve done our part.

This campaign has also been called “sexist capitalism.” As we’re a small manufacturer, not even two years old, one dollar per six-pack is our profit. If more Companies chose to give away their profit for these issues, then we’d all be in a better place.

As a Company, we’ve chosen to be involved in these issues because that’s what we believe community based businesses should do. And that’s not always an easy choice.

Next month, I’ll be supporting a creepy stache in hopes to raise awareness for prostate cancer. And if I ever find myself lying in a bed, dying from such a disease, you can call my prostate, or even my testicles, whatever the hell you want. It’s called awareness month for a reason.

While I strongly reject the notion that this campaign promotes r*pe culture, I do admit the double entendre. Unfortunately, double entendres are only funny when they’re out of the spotlight.

With that, I’ll be removing the slogan from the van. Putting it on a can is one thing, but on the side of a van, where it’s impossible to ignore, is another issue entirely.

To those who have been offended by this glorified blowjob joke, I am sorry. Lesson learned.

To those who have likened this to r*pe culture or tried to cheapen this to just some sexist asshole trying to sell beer, shame on you.

Just as we don’t need cheap tricks to sell our beer, you don’t need cheap tricks to push your agenda.

“Be the change you wish to see in this world” – Mahatma Ghandi

Cheers.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it offensive that people find this offensive.
Where can I buy this stuff so I can irritate these twats that have annoyed me?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it offensive that people find this offensive.
Where can I buy this stuff so I can irritate these twats that have annoyed me?

Damn....I like that.:suds:

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had this beer and found the taste very offensive.

Label_Tramp_450x315.jpg

actually it wasn't bad.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So they can put a doll on a beer can, but Camel cigarettes can't use Joe Camel in advertizing.

I'm not sure about the whole "rapist" culture, but it is sad that a company has to resort to this in order to sell a product.

Lastly, if this were ABInbev or MillerCoors, the entire "craft" beer community would fricking implode.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These uptight fucks need to relax and have a beer once in a while.