• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I addressed the Verlander issue around post 643 or so.

He hasn't been a main man for the better part of 2 seasons. But some won't let go.

I think he will perform when it matters... In the playoffs. The royals are making things interesting in the AL Central tho.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now Shields is better than Verlander but i think Verlander will get it back and when he does he will be the better of the 2

Verlander's numbers show signs he's declining the last two seasons for sure. Maybe three.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now Shields is better than Verlander but i think Verlander will get it back and when he does he will be the better of the 2

He's been a "shadow" of the man you remember. A shadow; over the last 16 months or better.

I said when the Tigers gave him that HUGE contract extension 2 years ago, which begins right about now, it was one of the worst signings I'd seen. It just made ZERO sense to extend the payroll when you already had him under contract for two more seasons, he'd thrown a million innings it seemed for the previous 4/5 years.

And now....the Tigers are fucked. Sorry....but that's the truth.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a "shadow" of the man you remember. A shadow; over the last 16 months or better.

I said when the Tigers gave him that HUGE contract extension 2 years ago, which begins right about now, it was one of the worst signings I'd seen. It just made ZERO sense to extend the payroll when you already had him under contract for two more seasons, he'd thrown a million innings it seemed for the previous 4/5 years.

And now....the Tigers are fucked. Sorry....but that's the truth.

:10::agree:

Most people knew he couldn't be that iron man for much longer.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2007 Shields has thrown near the same innings as Verlander, so how do you now he's not on pace for decline as well?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10::agree:

Most people knew he couldn't be that iron man for much longer.

As the great Cowboy ex Jimmy Johnson said, "I don't reward players for what they've done. I reward them for what they're going to do."

Verlander was a warrior among warriors. Please believe me, I have the utmost respect for Verlander. But as a businessman and practical person , this "rewarding him" - going backwards - seldom works.

Understand the sentiment.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2007 Shields has thrown near the same innings as Verlander, so how do you now he's not on pace for decline as well?

Great question. And I'd answer, absolutely yes. Continue at your own risk kind of thing.

There's only so many throws in each and every arm in baseball. When you point out the similarities between the two, that makes it pretty scary to me.

I'm not giving that "used" arm a long term contract.....period.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question. And I'd answer, absolutely yes. Continue at your own risk kind of thing.

There's only so many throws in each and every arm in baseball. When you point out the similarities between the two, that makes it pretty scary to me.

I'm not giving that "used" arm a long term contract.....period.

Since 2007 It's Verlander, Shields, and Felix as the most innings in baseball.

Verlander leads in IP and fWAR for that time period.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2007 It's Verlander, Shields, and Felix as the most innings in baseball.

Verlander leads in IP and fWAR for that time period.

What would you do? I've stated what I'd do; I think anyway.

It's going to make it interesting to see how JD & Co deal with the harsh financial realities, and what's the future of this team.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you do? I've stated what I'd do; I think anyway.

It's going to make it interesting to see how JD & Co deal with the harsh financial realities, and what's the future of this team.

Would not offer any pitcher over 30 anything more than a 2-3 year deal.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not offer any pitcher over 30 anything more than a 2-3 year deal.

Baseball contracts are out of control, obviously with the guarantees vs other sports. GM's have to get creative with the years and incentive laden deals. Teams have to overpay to land guys like Greinke, but also the opt out clause has become one of the new hot buttons players are looking for in signing. For players like shields it's going to take a higher AAV and some creativity in the contract to sign him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball contracts are out of control, obviously with the guarantees vs other sports. GM's have to get creative with the years and incentive laden deals. Teams have to overpay to land guys like Greinke, but also the opt out clause has become one of the new hot buttons players are looking for in signing. For players like shields it's going to take a higher AAV and some creativity in the contract to sign him.

totally agree with your assessment. so the choices are to go with your last sentence or suffer thru the next 2-4 years while waiting for our minor league pitching to mature.