• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baserunning

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price gives green light to improve baserunning

-- By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Drivers dream of stretches of streets with only green lights ahead. For Reds baserunners during Spring Training, the light to run will always be green.

Manager Bryan Price wants his team to be more aggressive on the bases and is encouraging the players to run and take extra bases.

"The one way to find out where we need to improve is giving these guys more responsibility and more freedom in Spring Training and see what they do with it," Price said on Saturday. "We're not going to get to Opening Day and then give the green light to everyone. However, in Spring Training, it's the perfect time to evaluate what these guys are capable of doing and which guys need extra help."

Price believes giving players the chance to run during camp will create more discussion between them and the coaches and the opportunity for more teaching.

"We were a really good, aggressive baserunning team back in 2010," Price said. "A lot of people said it was the Scott Rolen effect, because he's such a professional. He took advantage of everything that was given to him. I think we want to get back there."

Reds right fielder Jay Bruce embraced the approach of running more this spring.

"We didn't run the bases very well last year in my opinion," Bruce said. "We have to do a better job of that and we're going to. That's one thing that's on the docket for me: take the extra base and be the best baserunner you can. That's something you can control."

The Reds were tied for 10th in the National League last season with 67 stolen bases. Only a handful of players attempted more than 10 steals, and Zack Cozart did not make any attempts. The club often relied on the big home run rather than manufacturing runs.

The presence of rookie Billy Hamilton atop the order will bring more steals, but Price would like to see improvement all the way down the order.

"I know that we need to be able to create scoring opportunities, especially in that bottom third of our lineup," Price said. "Being station to station didn't give us as many opportunities to score that I would have liked. I think we have to be somewhat creative."

"I think it's great. It's letting baseball players play baseball," Bruce said. "Each player will -- from the results -- will be aware of what they can and can't do. And if the player isn't, I'm sure Bryan and the staff will be watching. They will know who can and who can't."

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love to hear this. Was frustrated at times last year when we had guys sit on 1st base. Would like to see guys like Cozart,Bruce,and even BP even though he has lost a step in the speed department. I dont think I really have to mention Bham.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give this a big thumbs up!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce actually stole more bases last year than I expected.
Aside from Hamilton, not much stealing is likely.
Choo wasn't a great base stealer.
I could not believe that Cozart never really even tried to steal.
Phillips just needs to get to first base and shut up.
More important is smart baserunning, knowing how to pick up a coach and having a coach who can actually manage more than one baserunner at a time.
Over a week, it might mean 1 or 2 runs.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty believed "Thalt shalt not steal" didnt just apply to Moses...or Mike Leake at the Mall. Small ball was a solo homer.

Bad baserunning is suicide by stupidity. It makes you look worse than you really are. It's not just lack of speed, but lack of IQ that contributes to it. The Reds have had plenty of both. Nice to see Price has noticed.

I'm all for moving runners via steal, hit and run, and splitting runners by hitting behind the runner. I like a bunt after a leadoff double, but not the dipshit get a slow guy to 2b with 1 out failed philosophy practiced ad nauseum the last few years. I believe a sound running game actually helps the long ball, and running the bases well doesn't require great speed-it does require good sense, better timing, and a hitter at the plate that can go more than wave at strike 3 while runners are moving. Cozart didn't have a steal attempt because he can't or wouldn't run- he didn't go because he wasn't given a signal. Votto is fast enough to steal 15 bases, but I wouldn't risk blowing another knee with him, especially when Bruce could let him jog in after a homer 30-35 times a year. Phillips- another story. Does he have speed enough to steal 15-20 bases ? I don't know. I'd prefer he get back to making more contact to the right side and taking a walk once in a whole, to his pull away so he can hit 18 warning track homers a year. If Hamilton can get on, steal 2b, BP can get a lot of Ribbies with a flair to short RF.

Bruce is no faster than the average runner- and has been a brainless baserunner. He needs a 3b coach giving him guide dog service, not the green light. Luckily, Mark Berry isn't going up be getting trailers tossed out this year. Frazier has a better chance of stealing a base at Dicks than in a MLB game. He runs like a guy that needs to hit more homers. Meso is fast for a catcher, meaning he won't steal any bases.

Hamilton could steal 80 if hes on 75 times without someone clogging the base in front of him...Cozart and BP might split 20. The rest might split 10. That will be plenty if this team could hit 120 HR and bat .260.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds also have Jason Bourgeois in camp. The guy is 32 but he has some speed and he's an outfielder.
Might be curious to see if he makes the team at some point.
Had 31 steals with the Astros in 2011.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily, Mark Berry isn't going up be getting trailers tossed out this year

As I was reading down through the posts, this came to my mind too. As bad as we looked at running the bases at times last season, Berry's brain farts didn't help any and contributed to some outs. You could see the look of disgust on the players face when being tagged out at third and I can't say that I blame them. As someone mentioned in another thread, even though we haven't seen any results yet to know if the coaching changes were good, I'm excited in the changes that were made to the staff and hope to see some positive results. Some players had become stagnant in their development and a fresh start with new faces and a different approach was needed. It appears that Price is a straight shooter, isn't afraid to make decisions and doesn't seem to beat around the bush like Dusty often did. You always heard that players like playing for Dusty because he liked to be their buddy but sometimes I think players will lose respect to a "yes man" approach. They needed someone to step in, take charge, and is not afraid to make a tough decision, even if it means rocking the boat or brusing an ego.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Speier was worse at 3B than Berry, however.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right. I used to make snide remarks about Berry, that someone that actually ran the bases for a living should be a base coach, not a bullpen catcher...but Speier was a SS and tablesetter with the Giants, but still didn't do too well as a 3b coach...also, I know it's easy to be critical in hindsight, but wasn't that Speier flashing defense signals in those dumbass pull the D in instead of walking a force with an open base at 1b ? There was all kinds of lack of sense going on in that dugout. It isn't only hitting that is contagious-sometimes stupidity is too.

In glad they fumigated the Reds dugout. I'm also pretty sure that isn't enough to win the division by itself. I'll be interested to see how things work out. I'd like to see Cozart steal 15 bases, but not if he gets thrown out 12 times doing it, especially if he only gets on once every fourth at bat, for example. I hate to say it, after all the criticism of Votto walking "too much", but I'd like to see about 200 strikeouts in this lineup reduced by about 100 more walks, and 100 more balls in play...even if 50 of them are DP's, there might be 100 more runs scored. You just don't score on a strikeout very often.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is the 1st example of why Price should be the Manager of the Cincinnati Reds. Dustmop wouldn't manufacture runs and the base coaches were pathetic. The coaches last year, with the exception of Price, looked like they could care less weather the Reds won or lost. It obviously became infectious as evidenced by the late season swoon.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Jonathan Winters with Rose in your av ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winters was a well-known Reds fan.
One of the funniest guys ever.
His baseball sketch was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winters was on Bench's old TV show. I've seen George Wendt...Norm from Cheers, at GABP. That crackhead Charlie Sheen is apparently a Redsfan too. There are others, just not as well known as anyone at a Dodgers game I suppose.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathan Winters was from Bellbrook, Ohio which is near Dayton. That tidbit is courteously provided by my wife who attends the Sugar Maple Festival there most Aprils.

Martin Sheen is from Dayton, so that's the connection for Charlie

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On topic, without a doubt the Reds need to enhance the running game/ base running. BH obviously will bolster the the SB total, but this was a team that was successful stealing bases only a little over 60% of the time if you take away BH's numbers. Less than 67% and you're really not helping the overall offense. It's true the Reds were 10th in steals, but they had the 4th most runners caught stealing.

First to third is the area I think this team can improve the most. Most first to third situations are determined by the runner at first having a good read on the batted ball and getting the best jump possible. If the runner hesitates, the odds of getting to third is greatly diminished, especially for a team with average team speed at best. It was routine watching from the stands to see this team not get a good jump on base hits and advance station to station.

The Reds ranked in the bottom third in infield hits. First base is 90 feet away from home plate in every ballpark, so it's a pretty good indicator of team speed or lack of speed independent of coaching.

The Reds need to run the bases a little harder and a lot smarter. Hopefully a revamped coaching staff will fire this team up to run the bases more like the 2010 team version.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know for sure that LaRussa made a point of telling his runners that if the ball hits the dirt, the catcher isn't likely to throw a guy out. Matheny was even following that advice. But to achieve that, getting a read on the pitcher so you aren't leaning back to 1st base or snoozing.

Derek Robinson was worth 20 steals last year -- even if he didn't get on base enough to steal 20.
He was generally clueless.

Choo was pretty good at base stealing, just wasn't all that fast.

I have no idea what Cozart's problem was.

There for awhile, the purists were down on the stolen base, saying it was an unnecessary risk.
Lately, they've come down on the sac bunt as a sin against Nature.

I won't mention the RBI for fear of annoying somebody.

But a guy who is on first base needs to come around and score. Frankly, I am not interested in the wRC+.

A plain old RBI single will work nicely.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cozart is the one true mystery on this team for me. I'd like to see someone ask him why he never attempts a stolen base.

Maybe with his low OBP he values just getting to first and hates the thought of giving one back. If he would walk more and steal a few bases he'd be a pretty well rounded SS. I like the kid, he's fun to watch in the field. Not flashy, but very smooth and makes it look easy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to keep pinning everything on the dugout staff, since it would seem that a big-league player ought to have enough sense to address his weaknesses.

But it seemed that when Cozart finally decided to give up on trying to crush the ball, his OBP improved. He hit off his front foot with more success. Honestly, he moved around in the order too much. In the 2 spot, I could understand him not wanting to run. In the 7 spot, different issues.

Still, he didn't even ATTEMPT a steal. That blows my mind.

He's a good shortstop. We could do much worse.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree John, compared to SS around the league he's not a sore spot by any means.

I'm not sure I like him in the 8 hole though. I think a patient hitter is best suited there with the pitcher on deck. Regardless of how many outs, it's nice to have a selective hitter there to take the walk when opposing pitchers aren't going to go after them. Always better to see the lead off man leading off, helps that churn as you like to say John.

The Reds lack hitters with plate discipline to take walks when the other team is pitching around them. Not a very complicated game plan if all you have to do is get ahead of the hitter and never throw another strike.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has talent and it'll be interesting to see if the new coaching staff can change the culture that presumably has held the Reds back.

The Red Sox went from last to Champions, so a culture change can do wonders.....of course a $150M+ payroll every year doesn't hurt.