• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baseball History

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had to happen sooner or later in the Major Leagues…a pitcher hitting a HR on the very first pitch he saw in his very first plate appearance…and it finally happened on this date in 1929 when Clise Dudley of the Brooklyn Dodgers hits the first ever pitch he sees for a HR at the Baker Bowl in Philadelphia. Dudley was a relief pitcher at that. There have been 22 players hit a HR on the first pitch they saw in the Majors including one in a Rockies’ uniform...1B Jay Gainer in 1993. Incidentally, the Baker Bowl was one of baseball’s most unique ballparks. When it opened in 1887 it was considered the finest ballpark in the country and by the time the last game was played there in 1938 it had been a joke for years. The RF wall was a mere 280’ from home plate but there was a 60’ high wall and screen to get over…imagine the Green Monster and then add 23’ to it but move it about 30’ closer to home plate.
Yes, this did really happen…though hard to imagine. Bud Clancy played 1B for the White Sox and on this date in 1930 he played an entire 9 inning game without once touching the ball when it was in play. Now that has to extremely rare… even rarer than the Monforts having a thought that a Baseball team is anything more than a business venture.
Another one of those…yes, this did really happen. Cardinal Manager, Gabby Street, was fined on this date in 1932 for…are you ready…talking to a spectator. Yes, the NL had a rule then that prohibited talking to spectators. Of course, someone with the name, Gabby, was going to break that rule.
It was on this date in 1961 that the Los Angeles Angels played their first ML home game at Wrigley Field (West). Guess who threw out the first pitch…Ty Cobb who was battling prostate cancer and just a few months away from death. Here, in Cobb’s own words, is how he summed up his life…”I had to fight all my life to survive. They all were against me, tried every dirty trick to cut me down. But I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch.”…He stayed in character right to the end.
On this date in 1981 we were at the height of Fernandomania when rookie sensation Fernando Valenzuela tosses his 4th shutout in 5 starts when he beats the Giants 5-0 at Chavez Ravine. The 20 year old lowers his ERA to 0.20.
On this date one year ago today the Rockies are flying pretty high. They are above.500 as they clobber the Mets 18-9 at Coors Field behind a 19 hit attack. Despite the number of runs the Rockies score in only 3 different innings but do see 11 runners cross the plate in the 5th inning alone. The wheels would soon come off the Rockies wagon though and they would never be above .500 again until this season.
67RS- that tidbit about the Rockies flying high one year ago today was a very sobering memory. It is hard to recall that that team ever was above .500 so it diminishes the satisfaction a little about where the Rockies are today. It was easy to remember that the Rockies were the best team in baseball for most of April two years ago but then that team fell on its butt. However, last year being above .500 longer than the first week of the season seems weird.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a really good job of taking the portion of the quote that I really needed. Nobody is worse technologically than I am.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized that I joined the ranks of being a member and lose the junior appellation.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All hail "Member smf52".

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a really good job of taking the portion of the quote that I really needed. Nobody is worse technologically than I am.

smf52...you wanna bet.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized that I joined the ranks of being a member and lose the junior appellation.

smf52...as a mere serf I'll try to remember my place when addressing you.. "My Lady"

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's very cute 67RS= I am expecting you to be knighted any day now.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there have been a lot of stupid things done on Bud Selig’s watch that have hurt the grand old game and you might think Inter-League play was one of them but the first Inter-League game was played on this date in 1913, exactly 100 years ago today…or so you might think if you saw any photographs from the game. It was played at West Side Park which was the home of the Chicago Cubs until Wrigley Field opened in 1916. The Cubs were defeated that day 7-2 by the Cincinnati Reds, however, because the Reds forgot to pack their uniforms for the road trip they had to borrow and play in those of the Cubs’ cross-town rivals…the White Sox. I wonder, do ML teams still have Travelling Secretaries?
On this date in 1933 something happened on the base paths of a game that might remind you of how the Rockies are playing of late…the catcher for the Washington Senators tags out two Yankees…both pretty good ball players, HOFer Lou Gehrig and Batting Crown winner Dixie Walker, at home plate who were trying to score on the same play. Now you really have to think about what could possibly be in the head of the second of those two runners. He starts off 90 feet behind the first. The first is thrown out…why in heavens name would he even think he had a chance to score.
The first professional baseball game in Japan was played on this date in 1936. I’ve mentioned it before but I will again…Lefty O’Doul was instrumental in spreading the popularity of the game in Japan and spent considerable time there in doing so both before and after WWII. O’Doul has the 4th highest ML Batting Average of All-Time (.349) and I guess when someone like that speaks you have to listen. Japan has acknowledged O’Doul’s contribution to their game by naming him to their HOF in 2002. The Japanese equivalent of the NY Yankees, the Tokyo Giants were named by O’Doul in honour of the team he played for (NY Giants) and their logo and uniform resemble those of their American counterpart.
Have you ever heard of Big Jim Fridley. If you haven’t join the other 99.9% of the baseball world who hasn’t. He was a back-up OFer in the Majors for 3 seasons and it’s unlikely his 105 lifetime Basehits will be sufficient to ever get him enshrined in Cooperstown. However, he will be remembered for 6 of those Basehits because they all came in one game on this date in 1952 when he went 6 for 6 for the Indians…something no other rookie had ever accomplished. He is also remembered as being one of the players involved in the largest transaction in ML history when the Yankees and Orioles pulled off a 17 player trade in 1955.
For the last 64 years Don Zimmer has received a pay cheque in some capacity in professional baseball. At the ML level he played for 5 different teams, coached for 8 different teams, including the Rockies in 1993, 1994, 1995 and managed each of Padres, Red Sox, Rangers and Cubs. It was on this date in 1972 that he gets his first of 885 Wins as a Manager when the Padres blank the Phillies in San Diego, 4-0. What I find interesting about this game is that Steve Carlton is pitching for the Phillies and on his way to winning a Cy Young and leading the Majors in Wins with 27 while Steve Arlin who led the NL in Losses in 1971 and 1972 when he would lose 21 Games, was pitching for the Padres. Now, if you were handicapping that game who would you have picked to win. Incidentally, Arlin was a practicing dentist while he was pitching in the Majors and his grandfather, Harold Arlin, was the very first to broadcast a baseball game on the radio when he called the Phillies-Pirates game from Forbes Field on August 5, 1921. He would also call the first football game over the radio as well when he did a college game between Pitt and West Virginia.
Speaking of managerial debuts it was on this date in 1978 that Ken Boyer managed his first ML game (Cardinals, of course) and the Cards defeat the Dodgers at Busch Stadium 1-0. What’s noteworthy of this game is that the game was played in 1:33…the shortest played game in Cardinal history. Too bad there weren’t more Kenny Boyers around.
Where were you on this date in 2007 when Troy Tulowitzki turns the 13th unassisted Triple Play in Big League history. 31,445 were sitting in Coors Field watching.
Rafael Betancourt was born on this date in 1975…38 today. He shares a birthday with a Rockie many will remember, John Vander Wal, a pinch-hitter extraordinaire… and with one of the best infielders I ever saw play, HOFer, Luis Aparicio.
I could go on but realize I’ve gone on far too long already and I better go decide on a line-up that will put fear into the mind of my Fantasy Baseball opponent this week, 4thefences.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this date in 2007, I was in front of the television set watching my favorite rookie turn his unassisted triple play. I was amazed and dazzled. Because of that play, his overall proficiency on the field, his quality hitting, and the leadership he exhibited at the age of 22, I felt and was sure that he would be the ROY, which unfortunately was bestowed upon Ryan Braun. This was the same Ryan Braun who undeservedly won MVP honors over a very valuable Matt Kemp several years later.

I know you berate yourself on the weeks you don't win 67RS, but I think your wins will come. So much of it is luck it seems. Is it really your fault when your top pitcher has a bad outing in combination with some of your hitters being in a slump? There are factors that are beyond your control. If you have a pitching staff that you really believe in, should you sit one of your pitchers for a lesser one with 2 starts? It can turn into a great week if your good pitchers wind up having two starts. There are fixes you can do and then some things are out of your control. It was very gentlemanly for you to praise Weaves for besting you last week and you have been the consummate good sport so far this year but you will have your share of winning weeks. I know I am in for a week where I am not going to do so well. I only have 5 starts for my pitchers and I am not willing to sit one of them down for the pitchers who are available with 2 starts. C'est la vie but you handle it with great humor and sportsmanship.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I see you have finally joined the ranks of members.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Hail, 67RS.......I think the next level is "Senior" Member which most of us had already achieved long before we graced these Boards!!!

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...I feel my life is complete. For the Junior members out there I expect a little respect, eh... and by the way, I take my tea at 8:00.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On September 17, 1999 the Rockies scored 18 runs against the Dodgers. Only scored 12 tonight, but that was ugly enough for Dodger fans.

Nice win tonight for the Rockies. Dodgers sure got their butts kicked tonight.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are guys who have played this grand old game and then there are real good guys who have played the game. It was on this date in 1923 that one of those real good guys, Lou Gehrig, was signed by the Yankees and it was also on this date in 1939, exactly 16 years to the date that his consecutive games streak of 2,130 and career came to an end. Within two years, at age 37, he would die from ALS.
Speaking of consecutive game streaks it was on this date in 1970 that Billy Williams becomes the first NLer to play in 1,000 consecutive games…he had played in every Cub game dating back to 1964.
On the day Gehrig's consecutive games streak and career came to an end Pitcher, Bob Hendley was born. Bob who? is probably what you’re saying. Well, since you asked, I’ll tell you that in my opinion he is Part B of the greatest game ever pitched in the history of MLB. I'm thinking Silas might be ahead of me here. Part A was Sandy Koufax. On September 9, 1965 Koufax and Hendley, of the Cubs, got locked into a pitching duel at Dodger Stadium that, unfortunately, someone had to lose and 1 hour and 43 minutes after the game started there was a Winner and Loser as far as their records were concerned but both pitchers and every single one of the 29,000 fans in attendance were winners in every other sense. Hendley pitched brilliantly for the Cubs and gave up only 1 hit to Sweet Lou Johnson but Hendley would lose the game 1-0 on an unearned run. Koufax, by the way, pitched a Perfect Game. Hendley would get his revenge five days later at Wrigley Field when the two matched up again and he defeated Koufax and the Dodgers 2-1.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that game well. Didn't get to see it but I listened to it on the radio. I do remember Bob Hendley. He was certainly a tough luck pitcher that night. I sure do miss watching Sandy Koufax pitch. He was simply remarkable.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second baseman with the highest fielding percentage in a 162 game season at .995 was.........Bobby Grich in 1973.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at that game in 1970 when Billy Williams played in his 1000th consecutive game as well as Billy Williams day which was held to commemorate his achievement.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a terrific ballplayer Billy Williams was. I sure miss watching players of his caliber.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1920 the pitcher the Yankees picked up from the Red Sox, Babe Ruth, hit his first HR in a Yankee uniform. I understand he went on to hit a few more for them.
On the same day Ruth hit his first HR in a Yankee uniform the longest game ever played in the Major League history was played 93 years ago today. It was a mere 26 innings affair (3 games for the price of 1) that was played in one of my favourite ‘old’ ballparks, Braves Field in Boston. It was used by the Braves until they left town in the early 1950’s for Milwaukee. (Part of it still exists as a section of Nickerson Field on the campus of Boston U). The game was called because of darkness with the score knotted at 1-1 and remains in the books as a tie. Incidentally, despite going 26 innings, both starters went the distance and even more amazing than that the entire 26 innings was played in less time (3 hrs, 50 minutes) then a game the Rockies played a couple weeks ago against the Mets at Coors. In that game the Rockies beat the Mets 10-9 in 10 innings yet it took 4 hrs and 19 minutes to play.
Happy Birthday to an original Colorado Rockie who was born on this date in 1966 in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. He was selected with the 58th pick in the 1992 expansion draft from the Atlanta Braves. This RHP ended up turning in a pretty good rookie season for the Rockies by going 12-11 and leading the team in Wins…the only one close was Steve Reed, out of the ‘pen with 9. He was a soft-tosser who didn't strike many people out and did not have a good strikeout rate, yet he was still able to get people out via the groundball. In 1993 he posted a 4.00 ERA - a club record (for qualifiers) that stood for 11 years before it was finally broken by Joe Kennedy and his 3.66 ERA in 2004. It wasn’t long into the ’94 season he tore some ligaments in his elbow and his early success would fade. He stayed in the Majors until 2002 spending his last 4 years with the team smf52 says everyone winds up with sooner or later, the Arizona Diamondbacks. Armando Reynoso is 47 today.
What do you think…has the game changed in our time watching it. Unfortunately it has for the worse. Today, the Umpires are master prima donnas and feel they are the star of the show…a la the David Price incident on Sunday. If umpires aren’t put in check there will be big trouble, however I digress, so back to what happened on this date in 1974. Dock Ellis, Pirate starter, who once pitched a No-Hitter high on LSD was the starter in a game against the Big Red Machine. I remember the Reds back in those days and they were a team with a lot of swagger…maybe too much. Doc Ellis thought so because he plunks the first three batters of the game on 5 pitches…Rose, Morgan and Driessen. The first two pitchers to the clean-up hitter, Tony Perez are deliberately behind his head. Danny Murtaugh, the Pirate Manager, wisely removes him from the game after he walks Perez. I guess maybe Ellis ingested a little something before that game too. Not saying what Ellis did was acceptable merely using it to show how the game has changed. In today’s game Ellis would have been run after Batter # 2.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silas- I wish that baseball could extract many of the positive attributes of the great old players like Williams and the face of the avatar of 67RS and instill them into today's ballplayer as a welcomed PED.

67RS- Armando Reynoso was a good pitcher for the fledgling Rockies to have and I had forgotten about his low ERA. However, when he pitched, the games took forever as he was the slowest pitcher I can ever remember watching.