• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Barely Cuddas Vs tropical depression

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm guessing Jones vs Ward

Allegedly Martin is back and Donoski might be

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing beats a slump buster coming into town

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking like Jones is getting his groove back

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta love the boys getting Ward the hat trick

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Welcome back Paul Martin... I only caught the 3rd period, but they looked sloppy and didnt have that "leave the foot on the gas pedal" energy that they did in the 1st 4 games

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They didnt look that bad, that Couture loss is massive but much easier to manage then Martin's loss. Atleast the guys replacing couture have some NHL time, all the candidates who replaced Martin did not

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They didnt look that bad, that Couture loss is massive but much easier to manage then Martin's loss. Atleast the guys replacing couture have some NHL time, all the candidates who replaced Martin did not

yep. Cooch hurts, particuarly on the PP. But, its all about defense and goaltending. Jones was respectable (though a couple stoppable goals), but martin back takes dillon back from a #1 pairing to a #3 pairing. He only cost the team one goal there, instead of more. When martin was out, dillon was playing 22+ mins/gm, and it was killing the team at both ends for over a 1/3 of the game, while also killing burnsie. Dillon's promotion was virtually singlehandedly killing the sharks in all areas by F-ing up 2 of the 3 Dpairings, killing the #1 dman's game, and killing the PK and second PP, all places where martin excels. last night, dillon was back to his 3rd pairing 16-18 mins/gm where he is matched up against the losers on the other team and hidden to minimize his damage.

I would feel much much better if the sharks had a solid 5th defenseman, who is capable of top 4 minutes. The injury bug among the top 4 will strike again, and when it does another tailspin is likely. Dougie needs to figure out how to add another solid defenseman just in case as having Dillon, Tennyson and Mueller in the lineup every night is guaranteed to kill the team. Only 1/3 of the game is an AHL lever Dman NOT on the ice then.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep. Cooch hurts, particuarly on the PP. But, its all about defense and goaltending. Jones was respectable (though a couple stoppable goals), but martin back takes dillon back from a #1 pairing to a #3 pairing. He only cost the team one goal there, instead of more. When martin was out, dillon was playing 22+ mins/gm, and it was killing the team at both ends for over a 1/3 of the game, while also killing burnsie. Dillon's promotion was virtually singlehandedly killing the sharks in all areas by F-ing up 2 of the 3 Dpairings, killing the #1 dman's game, and killing the PK and second PP, all places where martin excels. last night, dillon was back to his 3rd pairing 16-18 mins/gm where he is matched up against the losers on the other team and hidden to minimize his damage.

I would feel much much better if the sharks had a solid 5th defenseman, who is capable of top 4 minutes. The injury bug among the top 4 will strike again, and when it does another tailspin is likely. Dougie needs to figure out how to add another solid defenseman just in case as having Dillon, Tennyson and Mueller in the lineup every night is guaranteed to kill the team. Only 1/3 of the game is an AHL lever Dman NOT on the ice then.
They just need to leave Mueller in the AHL till mid season then bring him up, by then he should be ready for bottom 6 minutes, I'm in favor of benching Dillion over Mueller, Tennyson has been serviceable and I'm not a fan of the guy. Maybe Dwilly can swing a trade involving Dillion for a better #5

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How much cap space do they have? Theres gotta be some stay at home vets out there that can be had for cheap

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Same thing I said, they had 1mil in cap space and signed him

I guess stupid moves will always follow this franchise, even when it looks like they are headed in the right direction... They have plenty of forwards... Woulda rather had John Scott signed as a 10th dman than McClaren signed

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are majority of these guys still available - obviously the site havnt updated in like 2 months, but this is a list of the Dmen that were unsigned (scroll towards the bottom)

2015 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah that's way not update Dillion still shows up as an RFA lol,it's going to have to be a trade with a team like the oilers or the flyers, who'd take on Dillion's contract for say like Ferrance

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First, Mclaren is on a 2-way deal and thus counts nothing against the cap, unless he is called up.

second, what you see is what you get for at least the next 30-40 games on D, just pray for no injury. i would be totally and completely shocked to see Dillon moved. As terrible as he seems to be, and as head scratchingly stupid as his deal appears, dougie signed himm for 5 yrs, 15M and that's too much to move easily. They also wont be willing to just dump him for space at this point in the year.

If the D suffers a key injury or somehow falters and none of the kids steps up (mueller could be a different players after 30 games playing 22-24 mins/night in the cuda), then the trade deadline would be the time to be buying. A rental would be next to impossible and dougie is not gunna bark up that road again. They already don't have a 1st rounder next year, but if the forwards are virtually all healthy come january/February, then the top 3 lines will be overcrowded: jumbo, pavs, cooch, patty, ward, donskoi, hertl, nieto, karlsson, wingels, torres, Goldobin = 12 forwards with top 9 skill (smith, Goodrow, brown = 3 clear 4th liners). Add in a few other guys who might be ready within a year or two (namely: Jevpalovs, sadowy, meier, o'regan, etc) and the forwards would seem to be the best trading pieces dougie has.

However, it's too early to make such a move unless a great player fell in your If Ana continues to totally suck and was willing to part with one of their kids (lindholm or vatanen would look sweet in teal) for help up front, then of course the phone would be on earlier, but that's wholly unlikely. Only nearing the deadline will teams that are pretty much out or teams that are desperate for top 9 talent be willing to move a good Dman.

Dougie would also likely only target a good Dman who is sub-30 and can play for the team this year and well beyond. Calgary is chalk full of good young D and thin on O (like ANA), so that's a possibility, but not too many of the contending teams are likely to be willing to part with a young dman.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but the season is long and the possibilities are always there. This is doubly true if the sharks find that some of the young kids who they call up (like goldobin) play well enough to emerge as legit top 9 forwards (Kinda like karlsson and tierney did last year). If so, Nieto definitely could be on the block and might fetch a respectable return if paired with another of the young D like Mueller or Demelo and a mid round pick. Who knows, but dougie has gotta see the thinness on D from the 3 games without martin. Its obvious that Defensive depth is the #1 issue.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First, Mclaren is on a 2-way deal and thus counts nothing against the cap, unless he is called up.

second, what you see is what you get for at least the next 30-40 games on D, just pray for no injury. i would be totally and completely shocked to see Dillon moved. As terrible as he seems to be, and as head scratchingly stupid as his deal appears, dougie signed himm for 5 yrs, 15M and that's too much to move easily. They also wont be willing to just dump him for space at this point in the year.

If the D suffers a key injury or somehow falters and none of the kids steps up (mueller could be a different players after 30 games playing 22-24 mins/night in the cuda), then the trade deadline would be the time to be buying. A rental would be next to impossible and dougie is not gunna bark up that road again. They already don't have a 1st rounder next year, but if the forwards are virtually all healthy come january/February, then the top 3 lines will be overcrowded: jumbo, pavs, cooch, patty, ward, donskoi, hertl, nieto, karlsson, wingels, torres, Goldobin = 12 forwards with top 9 skill (smith, Goodrow, brown = 3 clear 4th liners). Add in a few other guys who might be ready within a year or two (namely: Jevpalovs, sadowy, meier, o'regan, etc) and the forwards would seem to be the best trading pieces dougie has.

However, it's too early to make such a move unless a great player fell in your If Ana continues to totally suck and was willing to part with one of their kids (lindholm or vatanen would look sweet in teal) for help up front, then of course the phone would be on earlier, but that's wholly unlikely. Only nearing the deadline will teams that are pretty much out or teams that are desperate for top 9 talent be willing to move a good Dman.

Dougie would also likely only target a good Dman who is sub-30 and can play for the team this year and well beyond. Calgary is chalk full of good young D and thin on O (like ANA), so that's a possibility, but not too many of the contending teams are likely to be willing to part with a young dman.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but the season is long and the possibilities are always there. This is doubly true if the sharks find that some of the young kids who they call up (like goldobin) play well enough to emerge as legit top 9 forwards (Kinda like karlsson and tierney did last year). If so, Nieto definitely could be on the block and might fetch a respectable return if paired with another of the young D like Mueller or Demelo and a mid round pick. Who knows, but dougie has gotta see the thinness on D from the 3 games without martin. Its obvious that Defensive depth is the #1 issue.
As bad is the Dillion deal seem to be right it's not even close to the Hamilton deal

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As bad is the Dillion deal seem to be right it's not even close to the Hamilton deal

I would swap straight up in a millionth of a second. I could not disagree more. I think Dillon has a ceiling of a #5/6 Dman. he is slow, offensively inept, and if he figures out the defensive side, then MAYBE be can be serviceable matching up against opposition 2nd and 3rd lines and maybe a shift or two on the PK.

Hamilton has an upside of a bona fide #1, 50-60 pts, PP captain and 25+ mins per night. Right now, with calgary, he blows. the whole team blows right now. They are playing horribly and along with ANA, they are the biggest downward surprise this whole season thus far. I still fully expect they will make the PO's when they figure it out. No reason monahan should suddenly suck with 1 goal in the first 9 games after 31 last year, frolik scoreless thus far after a 20-20 year last year, Kris russel is pointless and -9 thus far after a 34 pt +18 year last year, etc. Simply put, the talent is there, they just havent figured it out yet. hell, their goaltending has also been embrassingly bad with a team save % of just .873 (28th in the league) and GAA of nearly 4 (also 28th) and they even waived ramo though hiller has been just as bad and ortio sucked today giving up a pretty awful goal again. its bad skaters and bad goalies right now there.

Dougie hamilton has been a big part of the struggles, but he has shown incredible potential in Boston. he's only just barely 22, so he has lots to improve, but I see him as a likely top pairing Dman playing gigantic minutes a few years down the line. Maybe Calgary will get desperate and will move him. I would be SO happy to flip Dillon, Nieto and a 2nd rounder for hamilton in an instant. I can't see it happening, but if it did, I would jump for joy. In fact, id be willing to flip dillon and just about anyone with a few exception for him. Dillon+(any one of: wingels, nieto, karlsson,Tierney, or maybe even Hertl for him). Or any of the prospects including either meier or roy. Dillon would have to go the other way for $$$ sake (and maybe a guy like torres or brown too) but if doug got hamilton, Id feel amazing about the D right away.

the other thing to consider is that if dougie got hamilton, they wouldnt need to rush him. He could play on the 2nd PP unit, but wouldnt need 25+ mins/night. they could give him 19-20 for a year or two and not match him against opposition top guys and allow him to develop. he is on a 6-year deal, so the sharks could afford to be patient, and then when martin is older, they can drop his mins to 18-20 and have hamilton into the 21-23 minute range as a clear top 4. if he develops well, then within 2-3 years or so, at age 24 or 25, he'd still have 3 years left on the deal at a very reasonable 5.7M per and could be good for 24+ mins and top pairing matchups.

id be nothing short of shocked to see calgary give up on him in year one of his 6 year deal, but if they did, I have no doubt that dougie would be in the conversation.