• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Cancels Season

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the B10 had a schedule too. It was blown up. Things change, and money talks.

You're telling me if Nebraska or Ohio State or Michigan was allow to play this fall that conferences wouldn't change EVERYTHING to accommodate them on their schedules?

Also, why do you call it the B12 when it has only 10 teams, but call the B10 the B16? (I was a little confused at first, but I'm easily confused)
B16 is labeled that was from a realignment board since "it's just a matter of time til ND comes over with VA"

And look man, no one is leaving the B16. Nebraska can get mad all it wants but the President knows they pay the best shares in sports. They won't get that in the Big12. I'm sure the B16 has a loan program to cover costs for this semester.

BTW this is a good reason why Texas is really confident in playing;

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that is much different than now. I say leave it as it is, if you're not going to make the SOS much better. Just my two cents.

lol

It's very different from now.

What are the big complaints that everybody has?

Some conferences have 8 conference games while others play 9.

Some conferences have teams playing cupcakes late in the season while teams from other conferences teams are playing conference rivals.

Some teams load up on 3 or 4 cupcakes hoping they can win 2 or 3 conference games and be bowl eligible.

Scheduling guidelines would cut down on or eliminate much, if not all of that and still keep conferences intact and have some autonomy on who those OOC opponents are.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard this said anywhere so nothing to back this.......possible BIG closed down early hoping they get sued by parents/players and/or an injunction that would force them to play and take liability out of their hands? Pretty smart if that was the play.

That would be an interesting development!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be right regarding the virus but anyone telling me you can't play two seasons that close together because it's just too taxing physically can GTFO. Go talk to some guys who have humped 50-80 lbs in the desert or the jungle for a tour or two and ask them what they think. I've been there myself. Anyone 18-22 years old can snap back quickly. Injuries are something else but if you're not injured you can play.
You might have more insight than he does, but some guy named Urban thinks there is no chance they have a Spring season.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

It's very different from now.

What are the big complaints that everybody has?

Some conferences have 8 conference games while others play 9.

Some conferences have teams playing cupcakes late in the season teams from other conferences teams are playing conference rivals.

Some teams load up on 3 or 4 cupcakes hoping they can win 2 or 3 conference games and be bowl eligible.

Scheduling guidelines would cut down on or eliminate much, if not all of that and still keep conferences intact and have some autonomy on who those OOC opponents are.

It would be different, but not that different IMO. There is a HUGE difference the past few years from the ACC and the SEC (FSU falling has been devastating to them). Adding an extra game to the SEC conference schedule, just makes that gap worse IMO.

Maybe I'm buying into the whole "SEC is tougher" ideology, but I don't see that changing much in terms of what we already have. Just seems to shuffle the chairs a bit on the deck, and forcing the SEC to play an even tougher schedule. Again, just my two cents.

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make it look even WORSE PR wise lol

Really? I think it would be a genius move in terms of liability...if that is something they are worried about.

They may look bad for getting their decision over turned, but it add a big level of financial safety.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he has cover but if the SEC, Big 12 and ACC all play then the boosters are going to get involved and it is going to get ugly for the president. If Nebraska works a deal and plays in the Big 12 this year the fans of the other B1G teams are going to lose their shit.

We won't know unless the other conference kick-off but if they do the shit will start flying quickly.
No doubt BIG will look foolish if other 3 conferences play and complete their season.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How?? That it takes parents and students to dictate a WHOLE conference?? Y'all looking like the 2011 Big 12 in terms of instability

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might have more insight than he does, but some guy named Urban thinks there is no chance they have a Spring season.

Yeah, a lot of folks have been talking about the possibility of a spring season.

The most optimistic predictions I have heard so far were, one person who put it at about 40% that it would happen.

The other most optimistic would be a "glorified spring game or 2" where you would extend spring practice a bit and have 1 or 2 "one off" type games.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How?? That it takes parents and students to dictate a WHOLE conference?? Y'all looking like the 2011 Big 12 in terms of instability

Why would they care at this point? They look good to the people who fear COVID, because they tried to cancel it and got overruled by the government. The people who want to watch their team play, get what they want now.

It's an easy win/win for them in my opinion.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I think it would be a genius move in terms of liability...if that is something they are worried about.

They may look bad for getting their decision over turned, but it add a big level of financial safety.
Agree, and if I thought of it I cannot imagine no one inside the BIG (or PAC) kicked that around.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the president of Nebraska? If everyone else wanted to play and he vetoed that move then Nebraska would be finding another president in short order.

If you are saying the other B1G presidents have the power to tell Nebraska what to do then LOL to that.
I'm saying in a conference contract, rules, procedures, ect. are all likely done by vote. And that you're still bound by a contract even if you fall on the losing side of a vote.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First..Nebraska is screwed.. You think the Big12 is going to give them a life jacket this late in the game? They really gonna bolt and hope the Power 3 bails them out? They will be walking away from a huge payout, get lawyer fees, and an exit fee.. not to mention an entrance fee to whatever conference that does take them in if they want.. Can they go independent?

I'm sure the B16 already has something similar to what Scott brought to his schools a loan agreement.
If Nebraska wanted to come back the Big 12 would make it happen. There aren't enough good match ups in the Big 12 and they desperately need more national daws. Right now most of your ratings are centered around Texas, Oklahoma and when you play SEC teams. Nebraska would help that. I don't think Nebraska would move but I know it would be a great idea to get a Nebraska vs Oklshoma game this year if it were possible. The Big 12 wouldn't just dismiss that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
parents might be why they call(ed) it off for fear of lawsuits. say what ya will, but while many might want to play don't think for a second if a player gets very sick or worse his parents would not lawyer up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a lot of folks have been talking about the possibility of a spring season.

The most optimistic predictions I have heard so far were, one person who put it at about 40% that it would happen.

The other most optimistic would be a "glorified spring game or 2" where you would extend spring practice a bit and have 1 or 2 "one off" type games.
I don't think anything off the table, but his concerns are real (and of course he isn't the only one who has them).

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were most of y'all around Realignment? GOR rights are ironclad.. with the Big East, ACC and Big12 getting poached it opened a can or worms. Conferences are bound by that ESPECIALLY once the TV money came into play.

This kinda reminds me of kids throwing tantrums when they didn't agree with parents. But I suppose it's a society thing now.. que the what about our rights in 3..2...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they care at this point? They look good to the people who fear COVID, because they tried to cancel it and got overruled by the government. The people who want to watch their team play, get what they want now.

It's an easy win/win for them in my opinion.
Exactly!! Granted, just a "conspiracy theory" I had at this point...but unlike most this one isn't so unrealistic.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying in a conference contract, rules, procedures, ect. are all likely done by vote. And that you're still bound by a contract even if you fall on the losing side of a vote.
If the B1G chooses not to play I can promise you there is nothing in that contract that keeps Nebraska from doing so. They would probably have to use their network resources for home games but there won't be language saying the B1G has the right to ban them from playing. No one would agree to that.