• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: AZ @ Michigan

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wildcats had better show up big for this one. The significance of this game cannot be understated. Without overlooking SU and NAU :-)laugh3:) Ann Arbor is the only game that stands between AZ and a second consecutive undefeated non conference schedule.

And again, not to look too far down the road (but I will, because I'm a fan), but Michigan is the only real chance to lose the top spot until at least @UCLA on January 9th. So winning this game on Saturday puts them in the driver's seat to taking the #1 spot for at least a full month. This keeps (1)Arizona at the front of everyone's mind (press and recruits, included) and shows that AZ belongs at the top, instead of just having it for the minimum of one week. I am not trying to put too much onus on rankings (or the #1 spot) so early in the season. But it does add to the resume, and it does mean something in the eyes of recruits, and the press/selection committee (for a team to hold the #1 ranking for an extended period of time throughout the season).

From there, it's really until the end of January until we play a team that even has the caliber of talent to knock us off, and that is against (21) Colorado, in McKale.

So this game is big. No other games to focus on first. This is it. This is what lies in front of us. And this is the only thing that keeps the talk in anyone's mind from AZ being a pretender at #1, to AZ being (truly) the team to beat in college basketball.

On top of all that, I think that Michigan will upset some teams in the B1G this season in conference play; so not only does the win help in the future argument for AZ as a #1 seed, but it adds another bullet to the Pac RPI.

Lots on the line for this one, looking for a great showdown, and another gauge of understanding either what AZ is capable of, or the the effects of AZ's weaknesses in moving forward in the season. Either way, it should be a great game. BTFD

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am going to analyze the game, I think that the obvious strength of Michigan is in their back court. Stauskas and LeVert average like 33ppg. That's more than 40% of their scoring. I like the lockdown defense of AZ in this one, to really keep those guys cold (especially Sauskas from the 3, where he shoots 50%).

They are really only 6 guys deep with guys who contribute, so even though other guys get minutes, the production really drops after their starting 5. I think if we can shut their back court down, our front court will be able to handle GRIII and McGary. I think we shore up the boards again, and as long as we can keep them from spreading the defense, we should be able to win. We still need to remain vigilant on our turnovers. At this point, we should all just pray that AG can make 50% of his FTs.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fear the ax

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fear the ax

Riiiiiiiiiiight, I think that's ASU's job. Although thankfully for ASU, the two don't play this year.

NAU is doing pretty bad this year. They are 2-7, and one of those wins is against a DII school.

Do us all a favor, and win the rest of your OCC.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is a very different team at home and that's where the Cats play them. MI has been lights out so far at home (granted, their competition hasn't been epic). They have the talent to beat AZ if we have an off game.

We all know if the Cats are clicking though, they cannot be beaten.

The D has to stay locked down and they have to play smart. Michigan probably knows if they just do okay in conference play they should be a lock for the Big Dance with a win against #1 AZ on their resume.

BEAR DOWN!

Why has ASPoo been brought up here? Just get back to padding your record with your usual weak non-con. We are busy here beating SD State, Duke, and being recognized as the best in the Nation.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no doubt Michigan will win this game if AZ doesn't play well. They are certainly hungry, and would love to take this from us. The crowd will do a great deal to keep them in it as well.

But I am just really not as impressed as much with Michigan at home this year. None of the teams they beat at home this year are a .500 ball club. Their best win was against Coppin State. Now, they put all of those teams away, but they still lost at home to Charlotte. So I have to question their home dominance when the toped ranked team in the nation walks in.

Again, they will bring it, and the crowd will be there as much as in any high profile conference game last year when they were a great team. If AZ takes absolutely any of it for granted, then I have to believe that Michigan capitalizes.

All of that being said, if AZ plays Wildcat basketball, it doesn't matter what Michigan does, they won't win, period.

Basically if AZ plays the way they've played all year (with the exception of the last 5 minutes of the SDSU game, the first half of the Drexel game, or the first half of the UNLV game), they will add this game as a win. If they play as they did in those three instances, AZ will get beat.

It's up to AZ to decide how this game goes, not Michigan. I think Miller gets them up for it. It's not their first rodeo in a hostel environment far from home, and they have shown that they can handle the pressure. They just have to play Arizona basketball.

We'll see.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we got this. Won't be easy, but we're much more talented than them. I think our size will be too much for them to handle.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love early games. It is an excuse to :suds: before noon.
:10:Make 11 today. My prediction is the first one to 80 wins.
GO CATS! BEAR DOWN! :yahoo:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love early games. It is an excuse to :suds: before noon.
:10:Make 11 today. My prediction is the first one to 80 wins.
GO CATS! BEAR DOWN! :yahoo:

Well I can almost guarantee you that Michigan won't see 80 points.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha, (17) ISU rushed the court after beating (23) Iowa. Rookies.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, you definitely don't rush the court when you are the higher ranked team at home. You should win, and therefore, you should act like you are supposed to win.

We didnt do this in 08-09.................

Remember when CU rushed the floor after beating you and there coach acted like they were stupid storming the court and he expects to win those games. Then we won on the Saturday game on a Evan Gordon layup great moment lmao. The AZ schools ware people out!

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, you definitely don't rush the court when you are the higher ranked team at home. You should win, and therefore, you should act like you are supposed to win.

Espically over IOWA. But when asu fans ruch the court after beating AZ(once every five years) I can definaetly understand. Boom! First to strike.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espically over IOWA. But when asu fans ruch the court after beating AZ(once every five years) I can definaetly understand. Boom! First to strike.

Yea that was bad in 08-09 only like 5 kids did it. But in football you rush the field after every time you beat us.........:whistle:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that was bad in 08-09 only like 5 kids did it. But in football you rush the field after every time you beat us.........:whistle:

But 07-08 was the first time in a long time that was a great game everyone like "give it to Harden" went to OT and we won. So of course were gonna storm that shit!

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GAMETIME!!!!!!!!!

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that michigans shooting practice with sticks in their face might actually help a little bit at first. But in the end you can't practice against sticks for a couple of days and expect it to be enough. I have no doubt the Wolverines will give it their best shot. I just hope Arizona gives Michigan theirs.