• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Atl. Braves @ NY Mets (7/7 -- 7/10)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAS VEGAS 12, ALBUQUERQUE 1: Noah Syndergaard allowed just one run in seven innings, with no walks and eight strikeouts. And Wilmer Flores homered again, his sixth long ball in the past four days. Left fielder Cesar Puello hit two home runs in his return from a concussion. Kevin Plawecki had three hits and drove in three runs. Box

The future is looking good....

NEW YORK -- Wilmer Flores has been named the Pacific Coast League Player of the Week.

Flores has produced six homers in his past five games with Triple-A Las Vegas and is on an 11-game hitting streak.

He is hitting .373 (19-for-51) with 20 RBIs since his demotion and has seen action at all four infield positions during that span.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- Here are the lineups as the Mets face the Atlanta Braves on Monday at 7:10 p.m. at Citi Field.

Mets
Curtis Granderson, rf
Daniel Murphy, 2b
David Wright, 3b
Eric Campbell, 1b
Juan Lagares, cf
Chris Young, lf
Travis d'Arnaud, c
Ruben Tejada, ss
Daisuke Matsuzaka, rhp

Braves
B.J. Upton, cf
Andrelton Simmons, ss
Freddie Freeman, 1b
Justin Upton, lf
Jason Heyward, rf
Chris Johnson, 3b
Tommy La Stella, 2b
Christian Bethancourt, c
Mike Minor, lhp

* Yikes.....CY again??.... over Capt. Kirk..or EYjr?? :lame:

Yo, TC......:wtf2:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- It may be a little generous to describe the Mets in the NL East race. After all, Monday’s 4-3, 11-inning win against Atlanta merely pulled the Mets to within nine games of the division-leading Braves.

Still, Terry Collins suggested afterward that the Mets desperately needed the victory.

The manager said it was important for more than the game in the standings, too. The Mets had committed three errors in the eighth inning and squandered a lead last Monday at Turner Field. To have eighth-inning meltdowns in consecutive series openers against the Braves would have been demoralizing.

Vic Black, Josh Edgin and Jenrry Mejia combined to allow three runs in the eighth inning Monday, but Curtis Granderson hit a game-tying homer in the bottom half and the Mets won it in the 11th on Ruben Tejada’s walk-off RBI single.

“We needed it bad, because it was very similar to the game in Atlanta that we had a chance to win down there,” Collins said. “So it’s a big game for us to start the series with.”

Captain David Wright was a little more pragmatic.

“A win’s a win,” Wright said. “When you’re nine, 10 games under .500, you’re not thinking about who you get wins from."

Still, the captain added: "Obviously it helps to beat teams in our division, especially at home.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/me...ain-ninth-inning-review?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- A day after being placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder strain, Jonathon Niese underwent an MRI on Monday that revealed inflammation in the AC joint in the top of the shoulder, according to the southpaw.

Niese has been prescribed anti-inflammatory medication. He still plans to miss only one start and return during the first series after the All-Star break, at San Diego.

A Mets official had said that Niese's MRI looked the same as one taken during spring training, but Niese said there actually were differences.

The spring-training MRI showed weakness in the scapula. He was prescribed strengthening exercises back then. This time inflammation existed in the AC joint.

NEW YORK -- Carlos Torres completed the 11th inning and earned the win, but the reliever did get a visit from the trainer after being struck in the bare hand with a two-out line drive off the bat of B.J. Upton during the final inning of the Mets' 4-3 win against the Atlanta Braves on Monday.

An X-ray after the game was negative. Torres officially has a bruise.

“It hit him right on the side,” Collins said. “It’s pretty swelled up right now.”

NEW YORK -- Terry Collins handled the eighth inning initially with Vic Black on Monday because the staff had advised Collins to stay away from Jeurys Familia.

Familia had been required to enter Sunday's rubber-game win against the Texas Rangers after Gonzalez Germen flopped. And although Familia helped the Mets to that victory, his velocity was down, raising a red flag with the staff.

There is no indication of any injury.

“I talked to the pitching guys today and they said, ‘Listen, if you can give him a night, give him a night, because he can use it,'" Collins said. "If you think about it, he didn’t pitch very much in April. Yet he’s like third in the league in appearances right now. Therefore, I’m pitching him like crazy. So I’ve got to back off a little bit.

"He didn’t say anything, but he’s usually 96-97 mph and yesterday he was 94.”

≤≥

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• FIRST PITCH: Jacob deGrom will make his 11th start of the season for the Mets on Tuesday, and will be looking for his second major league win.

DeGrom (1-5, 3.77 ERA) has pitched better than his record indicates. That being said, the Mets are just 2-8 in the games he has started. The 26-year-old has received an average run support of 2.56, lowest on the team among pitchers with at least five starts.
Julio Teheran (8-5, 2.29), just named to the National League All-Star team on Sunday, will start for the Braves. The 23-year-old is 2-0 with a 1.44 ERA in four career starts against the Mets.

Let's see if the Amazin's (40-49) can build off Monday night's 4-3 extra-inning win in the series opener, which brought them to within nine games of the first-place Braves (49-40).

Dillon Gee is ready to return to the Mets, and take Niese's turn in the rotation, on Wednesday. Read more in the Post and Newsday.

• A candid David Wright said he didn't deserve to go to the All-Star Game this year -- read more in Newsday.

• The Mets' lone All-Star representative is Daniel Murphy, and Post columnist Ken Davidoff writes that there may be a market for Murphy if GM Sandy Alderson wants to trade him -- click here to read more. Newsday columnist David Lennon writes that Alderson has a tough decision to make on Murphy -- click here to read more.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teheran not looking like an all star tonight...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Mets win of the season? Just might be - Mets Blog - ESPN New York

NEW YORK -- Following their 8-3 win over the Braves on Tuesday night, the Mets optioned relief pitcher Gonzalez Germen to Triple-A Las Vegas.

That clears a roster spot for Dillon Gee, who the team plans to activate from the disabled list on Wednesday and send to the mound against Atlanta.

The 26-year-old Germen has made 21 appearances for the Mets this season, last pitching on Sunday against the Rangers. In 26 1/3 innings, he has a 4.78 ERA, with 26 strikeouts and 11 walks.

NEW YORK -- Dillon Gee can hardly wait to take the mound Wednesday night against the Braves.

Gee will be making his first start since May 10, after which he was placed on the disabled list with a right lat-muscle strain. But he's not nervous, despite the nearly two-month layoff.

Dillon Gee

#35 SP
New York Mets

2014 STATS

• GM 8
  • W 3
  • L 1
  • BB 15
  • K 33
  • ERA 2.73

"More just anxious to get that adrenaline going again," Gee said Tuesday. "I love to pitch, and it's been a while since I've been out there, so I'm just excited."

Gee was off to a good start this season -- 3-1 with a 2.73 ERA in eight games. He estimated he's been pain-free for almost a month.

"I feel great. Physically I'm ready to go," Gee said. "The little anxiety just comes from, it’s been a while [since I pitched]."

Gee threw 75 pitches in a rehab outing with the Brooklyn Cyclones on Friday, and will probably be limited to 90-95 pitches on Wednesday, as he continues to build up his arm strength.

He expects those pitches to be good ones.

"I gotta say, I feel like I kinda got everything back in order pretty quick," Gee said. "[After] my last outing in Brooklyn, I felt like I’m ready to go, midseason-type form."

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets-go-Mets-2010.gif

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie Rose said it was on this date the late great P Tug McGraw first said, "Ya Gotta Believe"
PUT IT IN THE BOOKS!

Mets 4 - Braves 1
(#Mets have their first four-game winning streak in a year)

LGM!!!
YGB!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Gee with a solid start to come back from the DL. Let's get this sweep tomorrow, that would make me feel good.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Gee with a solid start to come back from the DL. Let's get this sweep tomorrow, that would make me feel good.

:agree:

No doubt...that would be awesome, then heading into the final series before the all star break against the fish at home, we could make up a little more ground.