• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A's call up ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte coming to majors with A's
By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer

June 5, 2015 12:09 pm ET
pat-venditte-6515.jpg

Pat Venditte is a switch pitcher. (USATSI)

The Oakland Athletics are set to make a roster move Friday that would appear to be a relatively minor one (via Jane Lee), as a reliever who has spent parts of eight years in the minors will be called up for the first time.

That man, though, is ambidextrous Pat Venditte, so this is a big story.

Major League Baseball hasn't seen a "switch pitcher" before. Greg Harris, a 15-year right-handed pitcher from the '80s and '90s could throw as a lefty, but he only did so to two batters in his final season. Otherwise he stayed righty for the other 6,291 batters he faced.

Venditte is a true matchup switcher and, thus, unique to MLB history. He must declare before the batter which hand he'll be using to pitch -- a rule specifically put in place due to Venditte's unique skill -- so he won't end up having the advantage against switch-hitters, but otherwise he will be throwing lefty to left-handers and righty to right-handers.

Here's a look at his custom-made glove, which he can switch between hands as needed (via San Francisco Chronicle):

VenditteGlove030415-001.jpg

Now here's a look at Venditte warming both arms during a spring training outing:

Venditte appeared in 17 games this season with Triple-A Nashville, sporting a 1.36 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 33 strikeouts in 33 innings. Reports indicate he has a mid-80s fastball, though he thorws noticeably harder as a righty. With both hands, he goes fastball, change, slider, though reports indicate the slider is a bit slow.

Some may view this as a bit of a sideshow, but note the numbers. Venditte has been effective this season and has earned his shot. Not only that, but this is the culmination of more than seven years working his way through the minors to debut in the majors at age 29. It took him five years just to get to Triple-A after being a 20th round pick in 2008.

Good for Venditte. And, really, given how entertaining he'll be on the mound, good for all of us, too.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i had been following this kid (guy) since i read up on him last year and wondered why he hasnt been called up yet. he was a lifer in the yankees system.

the ambidextrous thing alone...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back in 2008 while on staten island, he faced a switch hitter...and it got...interesting...

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's awesome. He also pitched for Italy in the World Baseball Classic, although only as a lefty because he wasn't 100% recovered from a right shoulder injury.