• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns a Legit Playoff Contender?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could they get a wildcard possibly
That's the jist of the entire thread, dude.

No, it doesn't matter if they get past the Steelers this year, and no, they did not compete last year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF is reasonable to a degree, but you have to admire his optimism...just glancing at their road schedule...maybe Tampa, maybe CIN if they don't have their shit together. I really think 5 or 6 wins is a good season. I will say this...I think the days of circling a couple of Ws vs the Browns in the summer needs to change....you better be ready to play.
This is the best compliment I've received in a long time.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're no worse than LY as a team...the big question is will they be any better. Recordwise...10-6 to 12-4 is the range I would give them. Ben wanted Haley out so he got his wishes with his mostly handpicked OC (the former QB coach).
As usual, Ben's health will determine everything. I know AB and Bell are amazing, but without Ben directing, that offense is going to sputter.

I remember the start of last season when the Browns' defense was sort of healthy, they were a blocked punt TD away from possibly beating Pittsburgh. While it's obviously far from a guarantee, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland pull off an upset of Pittsburgh this season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Browns sympathizer and always root for them. But I'm not sold. I just don't see Baker Mayfield as being the first QB in the history of that arena football conference to actually have an impact in the NFL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Browns sympathizer and always root for them. But I'm not sold. I just don't see Baker Mayfield as being the first QB in the history of that arena football conference to actually have an impact in the NFL.
I won't lie, this is a very legit concern. I've been a long-time critic of Big 12 QBs and their abilities in the NFL. So many of them have put up just absurd numbers but when it comes to trying to transfer to the NFL, the traits just don't work. It does seem like Mayfield is a bit different in regards to his own game and how some of what he did is important to see in a prospect, but that is very much in my mind.

Don't forget, we also get to see Mahomes for the first time this year, and people seem to be in love with him.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF is reasonable to a degree, but you have to admire his optimism...just glancing at their road schedule...maybe Tampa, maybe CIN if they don't have their shit together. I really think 5 or 6 wins is a good season. I will say this...I think the days of circling a couple of Ws vs the Browns in the summer needs to change....you better be ready to play.
And I agree and I have made it clear from my first post in this thread.

1. They won't win division, won't beat the Steelers for that spot.

2. Have sub par coaching.

3. Have sub par QBs

4. Maybe maybe a wild card but not likely.

I agree the talent is there and they should be better and they will get some Ws, but can they retain all that or enough of that talent? Time will tell.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too like the Browns just don't see it, I don't.

Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincy you can't say they are better then any team in that division. As for the AFC team on the rise or could take wildcard spots. Jvill, Tenn, Houston can you say they are any better than them? How about Denver or the Chargers? Is Oakland on the rise? The AFC may not be great but a lot of teams seem equal to or better than Cleveland

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual, Ben's health will determine everything. I know AB and Bell are amazing, but without Ben directing, that offense is going to sputter.

I remember the start of last season when the Browns' defense was sort of healthy, they were a blocked punt TD away from possibly beating Pittsburgh. While it's obviously far from a guarantee, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland pull off an upset of Pittsburgh this season.

Ben is probably the only guy they simply cannot afford to lose and still make the playoff so I'm agreeing 100% there. But that's every contender (except maybe PHI), you lose your QB...you're going to struggle. Ben is doing a better job of not taking flush hits...hopefully he can answer the call at least 14 games if not all 16. Jones I think is good for 1 to 2 wins max.

I'm long past being shocked about anything in the NFL so it wouldn't shock me either.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben is probably the only guy they simply cannot afford to lose and still make the playoff so I'm agreeing 100% there. But that's every contender (except maybe PHI), you lose your QB...you're going to struggle. Ben is doing a better job of not taking flush hits...hopefully he can answer the call at least 14 games if not all 16. Jones I think is good for 1 to 2 wins max.

I'm long past being shocked about anything in the NFL so it wouldn't shock me either.
What's the thought around Pittsburgh around Rudolph? Is he the future? I haven't seen how he's done so far in camp.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I agree and I have made it clear from my first post in this thread.

1. They won't win division, won't beat the Steelers for that spot.

2. Have sub par coaching.

3. Have sub par QBs

4. Maybe maybe a wild card but not likely.

I agree the talent is there and they should be better and they will get some Ws, but can they retain all that or enough of that talent? Time will tell.

The Browns will probably continue to have plenty of cash until they have to pay a QB long term and maybe the 1st rd DE pick renewal contract will make a dent.

More than one person seems to think coaching is a problem in CLE so I can see them winning 5 or 6 games this yr and the GM pulling the plug on Hue to get his own HC in there.

QB...I'm calling Taylor adequate at best, but I have to admit, I think they made another mistake drafting Mayfield...I just don't see him being a franchise caliber player or even a consistent starter...but that's a me issue.

As you said, time will tell.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the thought around Pittsburgh around Rudolph? Is he the future? I haven't seen how he's done so far in camp.

The early reports have been good, but the old saying you don't find out nothing until they put the pads on...which nowdays means preseason games since QBs don't get hit at all in practice. It wouldn't shock me if he ran out Jones, but with so many years in the system...Jones has a big advantage.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns will probably continue to have plenty of cash until they have to pay a QB long term and maybe the 1st rd DE pick renewal contract will make a dent.

More than one person seems to think coaching is a problem in CLE so I can see them winning 5 or 6 games this yr and the GM pulling the plug on Hue to get his own HC in there.

QB...I'm calling Taylor adequate at best, but I have to admit, I think they made another mistake drafting Mayfield...I just don't see him being a franchise caliber player or even a consistent starter...but that's a me issue.

As you said, time will tell.
I agree 100%. I feel the Browns should have traded out picked up future picks and take Rudolph who I think is going to be a lot better then people think.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. I feel the Browns should have traded out picked up future picks and take Rudolph who I think is going to be a lot better then people think.
They've been doing this for long enough. If they keep building for the future, they're just going to continue in this cycle - which is, truthfully, the most "Browns" thing they could've done.

They needed to push their chips to the center finally, and they did. It might work, it might not. Honestly, after reading countless analyses and projections, there's no reason to think Mayfield can't be Case Keenum at very worst, and Drew Brees or Russell Wilson at best. By almost every statistical metric outside of height, he was the best QB in this class.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been doing this for long enough. If they keep building for the future, they're just going to continue in this cycle - which is, truthfully, the most "Browns" thing they could've done.

They needed to push their chips to the center finally, and they did. It might work, it might not. Honestly, after reading countless analyses and projections, there's no reason to think Mayfield can't be Case Keenum at very worst, and Drew Brees or Russell Wilson at best. By almost every statistical metric outside of height, he was the best QB in this class.
I have no idea what makes you think Mayfield was the best QB, but good luck we will once again in two years watch the draft and watch the Browns take a QB

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright dude fuck it, you like the pick you live with the pick. To many times these "Experts" have gotten it completely wrong this is one of those cases. Good Luck I am done quibbling over this.
I mean, you have absolutely nothing to show for your belief. That's the problem. Maybe if you didn't want to "quibble" so much, you could've presented any semblance of an argument. If you want to go after a team's pick, at least have an idea of what you're talking about next time.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you have absolutely nothing to show for your belief. That's the problem. Maybe if you didn't want to "quibble" so much, you could've presented any semblance of an argument. If you want to go after a team's pick, at least have an idea of what you're talking about next time.
It was never an argument, that's what you wanted it to be, it's an opinion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was never an argument, that's what you wanted it to be, it's an opinion.
And your opinion is completely unfounded and you're refusing to give context. All you're doing is just criticizing it for no reason.