• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Appeals court backs NFL, lockout remains in place

badmin

I am badmin. Who are you?
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has won another round in the court fight with its players. The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday decided that the league's ...

aA11lYWCZAU

More...

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this sucks, can't believe the greedy owners won.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has won another round in the court fight with its players. The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday decided that the league's ...di.gif
di.gif

aA11lYWCZAU.gif

More...

History to repeat itself?

After the NFL screwed the players successfully and legally in the current CBA, the NFL uses the CBA to screw Brady and the Patriots. This should go over real well in the next CBA.
Laugh now, it's yours next.....

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History to repeat itself?

After the NFL screwed the players successfully and legally in the current CBA, the NFL uses the CBA to screw Brady and the Patriots. This should go over real well in the next CBA.
Laugh now, it's yours next.....
crybaby-meme-generator-today-s-a-nice-day-to-cry-like-a-baby-c89db7.jpg:heh::heh::heh::heh: games...

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well done southie, nice bump... yes, I wonder if this thread will also be applicable around 2020.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old thread is old & the necromancer that resurrected it deserves the banhammer.

The current CBA last till after the 2020 season, but nothing stops the two sides from negotiating an extention or changes right this second.

The NFLPA would have make major concessions to wrestle any power away from the commissioner's office. After having that power affirmed by one of the highest courts in the land, good luck wrestling that power away.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old thread is old & the necromancer that resurrected it deserves the banhammer.

The current CBA last till after the 2020 season, but nothing stops the two sides from negotiating an extention or changes right this second.

The NFLPA would have make major concessions to wrestle any power away from the commissioner's office. After having that power affirmed by one of the highest courts in the land, good luck wrestling that power away.
Yup, taking this power from Goodell will mean offering something like a 18 game season, not sure I'm for that. Maybe having the full slate of OTAs, that I could endorse, however that doesn't put money in the owners pockets, so won't happen.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see, I doubt any concessions are needed - there is a trail of NFL $$$$ wreckage in the courts over the Goodell years and some owners (4 teams come to mind) are siding with the NFLPA on the need for third party neutral arbitration for the appeal process.

Pittsburgh, Miami, NE and Saints ownership will probably be all on board for chopping away at the commish's power - in regard to confirming punishment.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see, I doubt any concessions are needed - there is a trail of NFL $$$$ wreckage in the courts over the Goodell years and some owners (4 teams come to mind) are siding with the NFLPA on the need for third party neutral arbitration for the appeal process.

Pittsburgh, Miami, NE and Saints ownership will probably be all on board for chopping away at the commish's power - in regard to confirming punishment.

If you think that the majority of owners are going to give away something for nothing, you are delusional. Nothing is given away, by either sides during negotiations. And now that the courts have affirmed this longstanding power of the commissioner's office, you think through a handful of owners that the NFL will just give up that power for nothing?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really. I don't see any of those teams wanting to hand the power of how their players and teams can be punished to someone outside of their control. I can see them making that a position in the league other than the Commish and that makes perfect sense. It's like 1% of his job, but 90% of the press about what he does. Make a dept for that and give him the final say only. But you keep that in the company's hands.

And yes there are court fights. Every big company has a lot of battles in court, the NFL isn't even close to being in litigation like manufacturing, life sciences, or software industries. Goodyear had 28,000 different federal lawsuits in a 2 year period. Contract disputes are by far the #1 litigation companies have, only thing is every one of the NFL's is major news to sports fans. And this one was huge, the court just validated the league, those owners through their CEO have a lot of power when it comes to how they enforce the CBA.

I could see the NFL giving up some sort of arbitration but they'd better be getting something big in return for it.
And I don't think the union fights for this that hard. Sure Brady is pissed. But how many players head to arbitration in a season? 5-10? What about the other 1300 players and 300 practice squad guys. Are they wanting to fight for that 0.1% that find themselves in trouble, giving up something for that? Or would they rather fight for a larger pension for all vested players?

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will see some sort of neutral third party arbitration for appeals...

There is incentive for both sides to come together on this - since both sides' ledgers are bleeding red in legal fees.

Troy Vincent has already complained about it, it's a problem for both sides.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is incentive for both sides to come together on this - since both sides' ledgers are bleeding red in legal fees.
Sure lots of legal fees on both sides, I'm guessing they decrease as who can do what gets ironed out. The NFL isn't going to waive this power to avoid legal fees, players are going to have to give something back. I think a 18 game schedule works for the owners in exchange, wonder if the players feel that is worth it? Hopefully not.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will see some sort of neutral third party arbitration for appeals...

Troy Vincent has already complained about it, it's a problem for both sides.

Not sure why the NFL once they've won the major battle to prove that the NFL's power in the CBA is legally backed by the justice system, they would then decide to give that up.

And I don't think the NFL is in the red due to it's legal fees. I think they are strongly in the black there. As for the union, I am not sure, but again there you have a potential issue. If the union is spending 90% of it's resources and union dues defending .1% of it's paying members, there I think you could get some push-back.

I think the NFL can change it up, but giving up the power to punish it's employees to someone outside the company sounds quite odd.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure lots of legal fees on both sides, I'm guessing they decrease as who can do what gets ironed out. The NFL isn't going to waive this power to avoid legal fees, players are going to have to give something back. I think a 18 game schedule works for the owners in exchange, wonder if the players feel that is worth it? Hopefully not.

I even wonder if the NFL is truly pushing for the 18 game schedule right now with the press about injuries and specifically head injuries. I wonder if the league would push for something else maybe.

Maybe more practice time... I think that's one they could sell as pro-safety (more time to teach players how to tackle correctly, more time to get players into a healthy playing shape, etc.).

Injury settlement rules...

I think for the players rather than the punishment for the tiny fraction that fight what they deem unfair punishments there are a lot bigger things to fight for on their side. Get rid of the RFA tags. Cheap ways to keep rookie players under contracts that underpay them and keep them from FA longer. Let guys on IR recover under their own doctors if they want. Better guarantees on contracts, etc..

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL can change it up, but giving up the power to punish it's employees to someone outside the company sounds quite odd.

Yeah, I can't see the NFL willingly giving up power it has fought to keep but they likely will "adjust" to calm things down a bit......

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can't see the NFL willingly giving up power it has fought to keep but they likely will "adjust" to calm things down a bit......

Yeah, I'd find a VP of legal issues, maybe Vincent or someone, and put them in charge of that. NFL still keeps charge of the employee conduct of course. But the spotlight isn't always on the CEO for something that's only a tiny part of his job.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see an 18 game season. All they'd have to do is stretch the season by having teams play every 10 days or so. That way, we could have NFL football every day of the week and we'd push aside the other boring sports.