• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any concerns over Stamkos?

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we are at the beginning of August and Yzerman has yet to fulfil is number 1 offseason priority of signing Steven Stamkos to an extension. I remember reading an article back in the 2nd week of July and the two sides hadn't even started talks about an extension. This was surprising to me, I personally thought a deal would of been done by mid-to-late July. I presuming the two sides are talking now but it's just a little over a month to the beginning of training camp and there is no deal in place. I'm still confident a deal will get done but i'm not going to lie, I am a little concerned at this point. What are other people's thoughts??

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we are at the beginning of August and Yzerman has yet to fulfil is number 1 offseason priority of signing Steven Stamkos to an extension. I remember reading an article back in the 2nd week of July and the two sides hadn't even started talks about an extension. This was surprising to me, I personally thought a deal would of been done by mid-to-late July. I presuming the two sides are talking now but it's just a little over a month to the beginning of training camp and there is no deal in place. I'm still confident a deal will get done but i'm not going to lie, I am a little concerned at this point. What are other people's thoughts??
I wouldn't worry. He's got a year to play on his contract and he wants to stay in Tampa. Yzerman's attentions are likely on a couple of other signings he must make on a shorter timeline.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry. He's got a year to play on his contract and he wants to stay in Tampa. Yzerman's attentions are likely on a couple of other signings he must make on a shorter timeline.

We shall see, a deal needs to get done sooner rather than later.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Stamkos to stay here but the longer talks are not going on the more worried I get.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even though he says that,you know that he,along with Kopitar(if not yet signed also),would garner very lucrative offers from other teams.

With all of these off season 6+ years contracts that have been thrown out,I think these 2 would be close to 10 mil per season each,regardless of how many years they are offered.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get concerned! if a deal is not signed before opening night I think he plays this last year out and heads to FA for a massive payday. what are the lightning's worries ? if they pay stamkos could he become vinny 2.0 ? Stamkos did not have a great year to his standards does he play the year out and hope to get a bigger deal ?

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost halfway through Sept. and still no extension. Unless there,s a trade I'm afraid this will be Stammers last year in Tampa then ufa and goodbye Stamkos. I'm not sure we could be a contender without him.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I been trying hard to stay quiet so I don't stir the you know what in the barrel but think about this for a moment please. MSL is Canadian and Stamkos is Canadian. Danny, you live in the UK and have also been in Murica. You know that most countries, the people have more pride and loyalty to one another than Muricans. So let me out with it, maybe after the way they treated MSL and not giving him nod to the Olympics caused more of a stir inside fellow countryman Stamkos than he showed. Afterall, Stamkos was on the team even with a broken leg as a hopeful. And than the salt in the wound was MSL wanting the trade so badly that Stamkos lost the very player that fed him the ammo so he could snipe. Just food for thought. I hope everyone is doing well! :)

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see you back ISR, don't know what Todd and Bolt are up to? Not heard of them for a while and hockey season is around the corner.

In regards to the Stammer situation, I think Stevie Y is hard-balling him. There are 2 reasons why I believe Yzerman is hard-balling Stamkos. It's safe to say Stamkos is looking to earn Toews/Kane money with this new contract. Is Stamkos on the same level as Kane and Toews? Sure Stamkos is up there as one of the most talented players in the league but when it's comes down to crunch time (playoff time) Stamkos hasn't yet lived up to expectations. He didn't score in the Stanley Cup Finals, he only had 7 goals in the playoffs which ranked 5th on the team. That's not good enough for a guy who wants top dollar, especially when the likes of Kane and Toews have consistently produced in playoff time and have 3 Stanley Cups to show for it. Again i'm not saying Stamkos isn't an elite player but he's got to produce to a higher level come playoff time in order to get Toews/Kane money.

The other reason is if you give a player a contract of that magnitude it can put you in cap difficulties, just look at the Blackhawks themselves who had to move the likes of Saad and Sharp and couldn't retain the services of players like Oduya, Richards and Vermette. The Lightning could be in a similar situation as the likes of Killorn, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Hedman and Drouin are all due raises in the upcoming future.

For those 2 reasons I do think Yzerman is hard-balling Stamkos in contract negations. Personally I think they are going to wait it out and see what the outcome is of the season both from the player and the team's perspective.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very worried on the stamkos contract front it's looks like he is going to play this contract out and hit the market to me