• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another absurd effort

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dbacks bring in a guy who has never pitched in the majors and we can't even generate an offense.
So did I mention Pedro Villarreal?

This has become too painful. This is a third-place team that can't really get worse than that because of the Cubs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure you need to win 16 games a month. The Reds are 6 short for June.

Worse, Baker gave up on the game in the 6th.

Did Hoover actually warm up before he started flinging it at home plate?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck does Ryan Hanigan intend to do this year? He can't catch, can't run, can't throw, can't block a pitch and can't call a game. And he sure as hell has zero idea about hitting. Fuck ... bring Corky up. He's at least got a good 'stache.

Baker throws in the towel in the 5th inning and lets his "bullpen" send it out of reach. No fear throwing at Andrew McCutchen ... evidently Goldschmidt isn't on the hit list.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would throw in the towel today if it meant getting that worthless piece of shit DUSTMOP fired.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw a team that had less energy and determination than this one.
Hell, watching the Parrots, they have less talent and more intensity by FAR.
Those guys basically carved out two wins in games they should have lost.
Even the Cubs play with more heart than Dust-rag's team.
Third place is as good as it gets and I am not sure, as fans, we don't get what we deserve.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. I bitch about Dusty too much already. I just don't believe teams are ever static; pursuing status quo is like throwing out the anchor. Dusty seems to be the poster boy for status quo, before he reached the BIGGER goal. I think he believes that because the curve hes been graded on as a manager says slightly over .500 is historic, he thinks that goal for his team is "good enough", especially in a non contract year, too.

Hey, this team has pitched well enough to win (not last night), even against teams that won't lose 100 games a year. It's the swingaholic stand and wait offense, poor fundamental execution of plate philosophy, near non-existent sound run manufacturing principles, that loses most games for them. IMO, the Reds record is a bit of a lie. They seem to ONLY win against inferior competition. Luckily, the Rdds do have substantial talent...I'd just like to see them have a FEW brains to use it better with.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty giving up on that game last night in the 5th inning really galled me.
After it was clear Cueto wasn't sharp, he decided to let him try to get ... what ... enough innings for a win? Hoover came on and launched a half-dozen pitches toward home plate.
I turned it off after that so I didn't see the Partch meltdown.
If you are going to admit there are games you can't win, then maybe try to win the ones you CAN win. There is no excuse to have split that series with Pittsburgh. Zero.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw a ray of hope last month in allentown. greg reynolds. to my tired old eyes he looked very good. from what i saw, he seems to have finally made his curve an effective third pitch. not overpowering, but has very good command of both sides of the plate, with sink action. reminded me of a 19 game winner named wang. his change is already major league. it looked like 4 different pitches to me. anyway, he's 9-0 @ louisville, with a era close to 2. could be he has figured out how to keep the ball off the sweet under-barrely part.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw a ray of hope last month in allentown. greg reynolds. to my tired old eyes he looked very good. from what i saw, he seems to have finally made his curve an effective third pitch. not overpowering, but has very good command of both sides of the plate, with sink action. reminded me of a 19 game winner named wang. his change is already major league. it looked like 4 different pitches to me. anyway, he's 9-0 @ louisville, with a era close to 2. could be he has figured out how to keep the ball off the sweet under-barrely part.

He's 28, which works against him, sadly.
But he has some nice numbers at AAA.

Greg Reynolds Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | Louisville Bats Stats

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoover had a sharp curve last year. He didn't this year. It's obvious he only has a fastball as a weapon right now, so why isn't he at AAA working on it ? I've never considered Parra more than a mop up pitcher. Parch had done brief heroics against a suspect offense in the wee hours of the morning, but is compromised by having little clue where his good fastball is heading. Marshall and Broxton are absent, so that leaves Chapman, LeCure, Simon, and Cingrani. Not enough, for a team frequently using 4 relievers in 3 innings. There must be better alternatives but likely not without earing s 40 man roster spot and MLB contracts. What we are seeing is a stall tactic hoping Marshall and Broxton are the reinforcements that will grind the own back up to snuff.

Meanwhile, the more consistent problem, the mundane plodding, often hitless offense (who's large LOB for as much as they struggle to get on base in the first place, anazes me)is healthy, less Ludwick, and unlikely to change much if and when he returns. I'm afraid Choo, Votto, Phillips and Bruce are going to have to find a way to hit enough to get this team where it needs to go, primarily by themselves. It is what it is.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Smartphone" is a relative term. It spell corrects me all the time by replacing with the wrong word... made for a generation where speedy, semi- literate drivel is the goal, probably.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo and Bruce are already victims of what seems to be an endless supply of lefthanders around the league all of a sudden.

Votto can hit anybody but he's going to have a .430 OBP and be on base with 2 outs.

Phillips is currently in a slump that might end eventually.

That leaves a lot of people who might get a hit here and there before we get to Hanigan, which is either an out -- or it's a double play for two of them.

By the time Broxton and Marshall are back, this pitching staff will implode. I can't say I am anxious about either of them, based on what I've seen so far this year.

Cueto isn't right yet and he might not be right until he gets some real help.

I don't bet any pennants yet on Cingrani, Latos, Leake and Latos. Bailey ... maybe.

I'd say by the ASG, this team will be 3-or-4 games over .500.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Smartphone" is a relative term. It spell corrects me all the time by replacing with the wrong word... made for a generation where speedy, semi- literate drivel is the goal, probably.

America wanted to type and let some machine fix it.
So America got what it wanted.
I disconnect all my auto-spellings. I have no trouble finding a dictionary.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart phone is what I use a lot to keep up with this board. I feel your pain 1507.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with John. This is going to be a tough stretch leading into the All Star break. The Cards have an easier schedule the next few weeks and the Reds may find themselves 8 or more games back by the break. Mean while other teams are closing the gap in the wild card race.

The concept of waiting and hoping on things getting better when players get healthy often never materializes. The Reds have never won the wild card race and I'm not all that sure they'll hang on this year.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall the sit-in-the-weeds approach the team took in 2011 and by All-Star game, still in the race, Dusty all but threw in the towel. That will happen again unless the team magically starts playing better. Whatever is going wrong isn't about having the "second-best record in baseball."

Second-best sucks.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate to break up this inspirational stitch and sew brought to you by the irascible johnu, but make sure you take all your meds in the morning. you'll feel better. the reds will have at least 55 wins by the all-star break. ironically, paul o'neill was talking about a eastern time zone team's first west coast swing of the year last night. he said the players would look at the schedule in march and dread it. he specifically mentioned the first few games of said road trip. 'feels like you're always tired,' he said. i know exactly what he means. a game ends at what feels like 2am. if it goes longer? god help you. you get back to the hotel and your body is telling you it's time to get up. if you do go to sleep, you wake up mid-day and it takes an extra 2 hours to actually wake-up. i know, i know. but, chico, you say, these guys are mlb players with all the benefits that go with it. all i'm saying is: give this team a break. look at the bigger picture. cueto had his first bad game. hanigan still catches a good game, and will have better at-bats as the season progresses. the bullpen will be much closer to full strength by the break. the reds essentially have the 3rd best record in baseball, maybe second best by the end of the night. it's a baseball season for crying out loud. you're giving up on this team way too early. i know they're not giving up on themselves. the effort is there.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give this team a break and if they come back from this road trip with 2 wins, feel lucky, dude.

Hanigan does NOT call a good game.
And spare me the "third best record in baseball" bull ... I suppose the next thing is how we're "third in runs" ... or our "ERA from the 6th inning on."

Honestly, I can see what I see and this team is misfiring on all 8 cylinders.

I am quite aware of the length of the season. So is everyone else.

St. Louis lost 2 in a row to the Rangers and ZERO games in the standings to the Reds.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this morning, the Reds have the FIFTH best record in baseball.