• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alvarez Not Playing Winter Ball

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media is reporting that Pedro has opted not to play winter ball. Based on signals which have been emerging over the past few days, I'm not surprised. They're all saying that he MAY elect to play later in the winter..... but that doesn't sound too likely.

So, what do you think of his decision?

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed. Seems to me that he needs reps more than rest. Playing should help him stay in baseball shape, as well. On the other hand, all the reports are saying that the Pirates support his decision.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got not problem with it. The reps he would get wouldn't amount to much, probably 60 abs.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I prefer that he stop thinking about crushing the ball and focus on reducing weight instead.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think the best investment for pedro is a therapist to work on his head. the game is 90% mental and that is where he is on the losing end. i think it is good to not play in the winter. he needs to relax and then come to camp in great shape and with lots of video study in the winter to be selective and drive the ball up the middle. just hitting line drives.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't it about time this kid made a commitment. Maybe Winter Ball won't help, but there is no way it hurt. Everything about Pedro's game is below average.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In his defense, he just got married last offseason, I would not want to go play winter baseball either in his situation.

In my defense, I have been wanting to trade him since the entire fiasco with his signing, it may have had no bearing on the player he may one day become, but it gave a huge implication of the PERSON he is. The problem with trading him now is that he has a very low trade value. He should have been traded this past offseason when he had a lot of value coming off of a great September.

I am still in favor of trading him for the simple fact that I don't think anyone in the organization can get through to him, even being sent to AAA did not seem to make an impression. However, I no longer think we can expect a top prospect in return, possibly not even a good prospect, for that reason I think we will be stuck with him for at least a couple more years.

His issues are bigger than playing winter baseball or not playing winter baseball, his issues rest in his head. It appears from the outside looking in that he doesn't want to be caoched, he just wants to keep doing what he feels will help him. It doesn't take a genius to see that his approach at the plate is horrible, and that his swing is way to long with a big hole in it. He has so much trouble hitting a breaking pitch that it seems like he goes into every at-bat lookign for a breaking pitch to try to hit, and gets 2 fastballs blown past him, not a recipe for success.

Anyway, I didn't like him when he signed and there is absolutely nothing he can ever do to change my mind, so I will get off my soapbox.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dejan's take (negative)

In the middle of the article linked below, DK says, "...and Pedro Alvarez batted .194, struck out almost as often as a pitcher, then petulantly refused to play winter ball."

The word "petulantly" tells us how Dejan feels about the issue.

Read more: Kovacevic: Pirates' free fall historic failure - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Kovacevic: Pirates' free fall historic failure - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dejan's opinions pieces about the Pirates are terrible. I don't know what it is, but everything either has a mean spirited tone, even when he is writing about a positive development, or agrees with a Pirate decision. Or comes off as joking about the obvious Pirates futility, especially on twitter, maybe he is just riling up the masses who knows.

I liked him much more as a beat guy.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dejan's opinions pieces about the Pirates are terrible. I don't know what it is, but everything either has a mean spirited tone, even when he is writing about a positive development, or agrees with a Pirate decision. Or comes off as joking about the obvious Pirates futility, especially on twitter, maybe he is just riling up the masses who knows.

I liked him much more as a beat guy.

I am no keen on this article either. Anyway in the paragraph about Alvarez he states that Tabata couldn't stay on the field. Injuries like that happen he can't control them and can't be used against the team for not progressing.

Back to Alvarez if the Pirates are okay with him not getting 60 AB's in winter ball that is fine. I hope there is a plan in place for his off season conditioning which I think would do him more good than the games in winter ball.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am no keen on this article either. Anyway in the paragraph about Alvarez he states that Tabata couldn't stay on the field. Injuries like that happen he can't control them and can't be used against the team for not progressing.

Back to Alvarez if the Pirates are okay with him not getting 60 AB's in winter ball that is fine. I hope there is a plan in place for his off season conditioning which I think would do him more good than the games in winter ball.

Its time for the Pirates to take the gloves with Alvarez. For the last month they have express their desire to Pedro, and in the media for him to play winter ball. How can winter ball not help Pedro.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its time for the Pirates to take the gloves with Alvarez. For the last month they have express their desire to Pedro, and in the media for him to play winter ball. How can winter ball not help Pedro.

It would help him. That wasn't my point. If the Pirates excepted the fact (per reports) that he didn't want to play winter ball my point was they better have an off season workout program in place for him that he agrees upon. If he stays away all winter again we will see another .191/.272 season.

Honestly the offensive improvement of this team will revolve around him next year. There is no great FA coming in and Walker/Tabata/Presley are not stars but just pieces that need great players around them, that McCutchen can't do all himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, it wouldn't hurt him, but if he wants to focus on other things, and the top priorities are his new wife and becoming a better baseball player, who are we to judge him?

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. All this talk about Pedro being a headcase reminds me of what many were saying about Aramis Ramirez before that infamous trade with the Cubs. AR had a very good season the year before, but a slow start and some issues with his attitude led to his being traded for next to nothing. I must confess that I was among those who became impatient with AR, but I wasn't too hot on giving up on him, either. I'm feeling the same way about Pedro. Give him a couple years to redeem himself. If we trade him now, we may be comparing that trade to the AR deal, which IMO was one of the worst trades in MLB history (getting essentially NOTHING for a guy who would be one of the most consistent third baseman in baseball for years -- .290 -.300 BA, 25-30 HRS, 100 RBI per year).

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

Just asking... At this point considering how things have gone with Pedro as a Pirate.. What do you realistically think the Bucs could even get for him in a trade?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

Just asking... At this point considering how things have gone with Pedro as a Pirate.. What do you realistically think the Bucs could even get for him in a trade?

First off you must be under the impression that I want anything more than him to not be on the Pirates. That is all I want is for him to be somewhere else. So if we were to receive anything for him it would be a bonus in my opinion.

That being said, we could probably get AJ Burnett for him and not have to take on salary.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

Okay...At least we know exactly how you feel about Pedro... For me I was always concerned with him Sticking at third base... If he switches to first base then he is a terrible pick... I would rather they taken Smoak or Hosmer.. .Who both are standouts defensively at first base... Both had the bats in College to match Pedro also...

But hear me out now

I keep thinking about a guy named Alex Gordon... He just turned in a fantastic season for the Royals... He hit for power, average and drew walks a plenty... He showed off a plus arm in the outfield and was one of the best right fielders in baseball last season..

But Gordon was no 23 year old Phenom... Making close to league minimum...No instead he finally lived up to his expectations...And started to play like the Royals thought he would... Only 3 years later than they had hoped.

I mention Gordon because there were trade rumors... and rumblings that Gordon was a washout and a bad pick in the same draft that had Ryan Braun..And he has been a star for a couple of years before Gordon started to play like an all star.

SO I ask,

Is Pedro worth putting on the bench or in a platoon for another year so we can see if he makes the progress and develops as a major leaguer? I hate to throw him away..He is only going to be 25 this season...

I understand the frustration.... But imagine the frustration if we deal him away and then by 2013 he is hitting .280 with 30+ homeruns and 85 walks.....This will absolutely kill me... and I am sure it will devastate the majority of pirate fans on this board.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Etrius I don't think you understand at all. I do not want Pedro Alvarez on the Pirates. I could care less what he does on the field, I don't want him. He could win the next 5 NL MVP awards and I will not change my mind. I don't like him. I want him gone. You can't change my mind any more than he can. I am not sure I can be any more clear. If he does go on to hit. 300 with 40 HR's, I hope it is for someone else so I can dislike him even more.

He has wanted to be a Yankee his entire life so ship his butt there and take whatever we can get in return. Heck I would throw in another prospect to get rid of him take on Burnett and his contract, that is how I really feel.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etrius I don't think you understand at all. I do not want Pedro Alvarez on the Pirates. I could care less what he does on the field, I don't want him. He could win the next 5 NL MVP awards and I will not change my mind. I don't like him. I want him gone. You can't change my mind any more than he can. I am not sure I can be any more clear. If he does go on to hit. 300 with 40 HR's, I hope it is for someone else so I can dislike him even more.

He has wanted to be a Yankee his entire life so ship his butt there and take whatever we can get in return. Heck I would throw in another prospect to get rid of him take on Burnett and his contract, that is how I really feel.

Isn't that a little irrational? I mean, unless you know him personally, and he's done something horribly wrong to you, or you know that he's a terrible citizen in the city (which I have heard no such reports of), shouldn't you be happy he's on our team if he starts to produce?

Perhaps my somewhat disconcerting lack of emotion is what's preventing me from understanding your position here, but from a strictly logical standpoint, dealing Pedro at lowest value while there's still a chance he could be an effective Major League contributor seems like a bad idea.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Isn't that a little irrational? I mean, unless you know him personally, and he's done something horribly wrong to you, or you know that he's a terrible citizen in the city (which I have heard no such reports of), shouldn't you be happy he's on our team if he starts to produce?

Perhaps my somewhat disconcerting lack of emotion is what's preventing me from understanding your position here, but from a strictly logical standpoint, dealing Pedro at lowest value while there's still a chance he could be an effective Major League contributor seems like a bad idea.

It is just the way I feel. But since you bring it up, what have you seen from him since the moment he signed with us, the first time, that makes you think he can be a contributing member to a major league team? From what I have seen, he has done nothing. He had a good half season in AA, and a good month in the majors, but even in both cases is strikeout rate was too high to make you think anything you were seeing was sustainable.

As for my personal feelings about him, it is just how I feel, I don't ask anyone to share my feelings, so please don't tell me I am being irrational.

N

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

You are right...He had one decent season in the minors and a month where he looked like he belonged in the majors.... but

I think he was brought up a year too early! Look at his contemporaries Davis, Smoak, Hosmer... none were rushed and they all blossomed into fine players that are ready to contribute...