• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Allen Robinson

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears should actively pursue him IMO.

They have tons of cap space, and given his knee-injury, his price may be down.

He is 24, and had a great season before last.

I don't know what he'll fetch, but you have to think the Bears will at least make an offer.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigly. You can strike the ridiculous Calvin Ridley hype (and who has a bunch of indicators that scream bust) out by doing this while not excluding getting a guy like Wilson to eat crumbs. Draft has plenty of guys who can be WR2's in a good offense and obviously there's Meredith still. I think you got to at least swing for the homerun here.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears should actively pursue him IMO.

They have tons of cap space, and given his knee-injury, his price may be down.

He is 24, and had a great season before last.

I don't know what he'll fetch, but you have to think the Bears will at least make an offer.

This is wo I wanted from the beginning.........And the only one.......but being after looking at the list of draftees,I think Robinson is a guy who we should really look at hard and heavy..........then we could look into a d-lineman or o-lineman with our first pick.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson
Wilson

WR like Kirk, Sutton or St. Brown in the 2nd.

Re-sign Meredith

Re-sign Inman or Wright (Probably Inman since we dealt for him... and he has the higher ceiling, IMO)

White gets a shot to stay healthy/earn roster spot in camp

Gentry misses roster again... Especially if we bring back Bellamy as a SPT's guy

FWIW - I actually like Bellamy as a back-end WR. He's good on SPT's, reportedly works his tail off and (IMO) improved this past year (I don't remember a drop). I think he can be serviceable in a pinch. He can run after the catch, block well... etc... There's something to be said for minimum contract guys who put the work in like that and can do the little things.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson
Wilson

WR like Kirk, Sutton or St. Brown in the 2nd.

Re-sign Meredith

Re-sign Inman or Wright (Probably Inman since we dealt for him... and he has the higher ceiling, IMO)

White gets a shot to stay healthy/earn roster spot in camp

Gentry misses roster again... Especially if we bring back Bellamy as a SPT's guy

FWIW - I actually like Bellamy as a back-end WR. He's good on SPT's, reportedly works his tail off and (IMO) improved this past year (I don't remember a drop). I think he can be serviceable in a pinch. He can run after the catch, block well... etc... There's something to be said for minimum contract guys who put the work in like that and can do the little things.

Throw Auden Tate in there as a potential WR target. BIG dude!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and just incase somebody is going to throw the Sammy Watkins hat into the ring.

Let me display the over-hype he still gets, due to his college days and perceived "ceiling" that he has only shown slight glimpses of.

Last two seasons:

Player A:

23 Games 67 REC 1,033 Yards 10 TD's

Player B:

24 Games 83 REC 1,144 Yards 5 TD's

Player C:

27 Games 88 REC 1,030 Yards 4 TD's

The reveal?

Those three players are (in order) Watkins, Inman and Wright.

Watkins is (likely) not anymore of an answer to our WR problems than Dontrelle Inman or Kendall Wright have been. Yet, those two guys will get deals in the 1-2 million dollar per season range. Watkins will get 3-4 times that.

Let us not forget that the majority of that production also came from within the #1 scoring offense in football last year... and this comparison isn't even taking into account what is likely a necessary "curved" grading scale for Wright/Inman.

If you're telling me that Watkins is the best guy out there... Just bring back either of those two for the same production, at a fraction of the cost, please.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and just incase somebody is going to throw the Sammy Watkins hat into the ring.

Let me display the over-hype he still gets, due to his college days and perceived "ceiling" that he has only shown slight glimpses of.

Last two seasons:

Player A:

Player B:

Player C:

The reveal?

Watkins is (likely) not anymore of an answer to our WR problems than Dontrelle Inman or Kendall Wright have been. Yet, those two guys will get deals in the 1-2 million dollar per season range. Watkins will get 3-4 times that.

Let us not forget that the majority of that production also came from within the #1 scoring offense in football last year... and this comparison isn't even taking into account what is likely a necessary "curved" grading scale for Wright/Inman.

If you're telling me that Watkins is the best guy out there... Just bring back either of those two for the same production, at a fraction of the cost, please.
Watkins is a nice example of how injuries can really trash a player's value. Can't make a team from the tub is more often can't bring value to the team from the tub.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a nice example of how injuries can really trash a player's value. Can't make a team from the tub is more often can't bring value to the team from the tub.

Yeah, that's another variable in play. This team has been so ravaged with injuries. The last thing we need is another WR who never practices and is on the injury report from training camp through the conclusion of the season.

We just got rid of a guy who had that role...

Hate to bring it up again. However, hearing Bears fans call the team stupid for letting Alshon go is beyond irritating. There really is such a huge bias towards players who just won a Super Bowl. We see it every year in free agency. I suppose it works the same way when JUSTIFYING a deal that was just made. Despite said player greatly under performing his pay grade.

"Great idea guys! We're stripping everything down and rebuilding... so CLEARLY... we should invest 5 years and 68 million into a constantly injured WR who hasn't eclipsed more than 821 yards since 2014." :L

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not supporting the argument for signing Watkins.
But Watkins did play on 79.7% of the Rams' plays.
Gordon is the only skill player to play on more of the Ram's snaps (81.5%).
It's not Watkins' fault they didn't throw to him?

A guy like that would certainly draw double coverage.
Which may be a reason McVay kept him on the field (as a decoy).

He's only 24.
Inman and Wright are both 4 years older. (And I do like both.)

One more stat:
Watkins had zero drops with 39 receptions.
Wright had 3 drops vs 59 receptions.
Inman had 3 drops vs 25 receptions.

Last edited:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last two seasons:

Player A:

Player B:

Player C:

The reveal?

:hellno:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not supporting the argument for signing Watkins.
But Watkins did play on 79.7% of the Rams' plays.
Gordon is the only skill player to play on more of the Ram's snaps (81.5%).
It's not Watkins' fault they didn't throw to him?

A guy like that would certainly draw double coverage.
Which may be a reason McVay kept him on the field (as a decoy).

He's only 24.
Inman and Wright are both 4 years older. (And I do like both.)

One more stat:
Watkins had zero drops with 39 receptions.
Wright had 3 drops vs 59 receptions.
Inman had 3 drops vs 25 receptions.

I mean... Watkins wasn't getting thrown to for a reason. According to NextGen he averaged only a little over 2 yards of separation, which is not good.

Catches/Yards in the second half of 2017:

1 for 67
2 for 41
3 for 36
4 for 82
3 for 38
3 for 21
2 for 14
1 for 3

Playoff: 1 for 23

(only 3 plays over 30 yards)

^ That just ain't moving the needle... and it would seem that McVay/LA are in agreement.

Inman has also played a lot less snaps than Watkins this past year. If you want to play the "per snap" production game. It has to go both ways. Inman would have outproduced Watkins.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Robinson..............

The last I read he had 5 most likely landing spots and we were mot one of them(9ers,Ravens,redskins,Colts and panthers),if those are truly his spots he has picked out,I hope we can get the likes of a bonafide o-lineman (McGlinchey-nelson)or d-lineman or abonafiede d-lineman/d-back)in the draft.......

Just not much into Ridley as a first........But Sutton,St.Brown and Kirk I`d be happy at using a no.2 on........

And another way possible thru all this,cap casualties........theres allways someone getting cut that still has value.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean... Watkins wasn't getting thrown to for a reason. According to NextGen he averaged only a little over 2 yards of separation, which is not good.

Catches/Yards in the second half of 2017:

1 for 67
2 for 41
3 for 36
4 for 82
3 for 38
3 for 21
2 for 14
1 for 3

Playoff: 1 for 23

(only 3 plays over 30 yards)

^ That just ain't moving the needle... and it would seem that McVay/LA are in agreement.

Inman has also played a lot less snaps than Watkins this past year. If you want to play the "per snap" production game. It has to go both ways. Inman would have outproduced Watkins.

Separation is not everything keep in mind. Jeffrey is not one of the worst WR's in the league for instance and he is ranked towards the bottom in this metric. The other thing to point out is that is a stat that tells you the separation upon being targeted; actually it's even later than that: at the time of catch or incompletion

The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion.

It's definitely useful but 2.5 is about where Julio Jones is at 2.4 for instance.

For giggles, Albert Wilson (!) leads the league in separation by this definition at 4.1 but he also has the highest rate of screens in the league (IIRC, around a quarter of his targets fall into this category) as well so naturally that will increase rates of separation. It's useful, but can quickly devolve into the underpants gnome problem if the homework isn't done so to speak.

In short, when healthy, Sammy Watkins is one of the best WR's in the league I still believe. I still think the issue was more Goff than Watkins.

Will he be worth it? No.

Will he be healthy? No!

Will he be a value? No!

Is he a major risk to "bust" in FA? Yes!

Is Allen Robinson the better play? Yep. I am kinda hearing he's probably heading to the Niners, but heres to hoping the Bears outbid them.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fartcarden%2Ffiles%2F2011%2F07%2F300px-Gnomes_plan.jpg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Separation is not everything keep in mind. Jeffrey is not one of the worst WR's in the league for instance and he is ranked towards the bottom in this metric. The other thing to point out is that is a stat that tells you the separation upon being targeted; actually it's even later than that: at the time of catch or incompletion

It's definitely useful but 2.5 is about where Julio Jones is at 2.4 for instance.

For giggles, Albert Wilson (!) leads the league in separation by this definition at 4.1 but he also has the highest rate of screens in the league (IIRC, around a quarter of his targets fall into this category) as well so naturally that will increase rates of separation. It's useful, but can quickly devolve into the underpants gnome problem if the homework isn't done so to speak.

In short, when healthy, Sammy Watkins is one of the best WR's in the league I still believe. I still think the issue was more Goff than Watkins.

Will he be worth it? No.

Will he be healthy? No!

Will he be a value? No!

Is he a major risk to "bust" in FA? Yes!

Is Allen Robinson the better play? Yep. I am kinda hearing he's probably heading to the Niners, but heres to hoping the Bears outbid them.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fartcarden%2Ffiles%2F2011%2F07%2F300px-Gnomes_plan.jpg

I am not saying that separation is everything. However, there's a reason he's not getting the ball thrown his way. This is an offense where Robert Woods played on a 16 game pace for 1,000+ yards and 8 or so TD's (injured for 4 games).

Julio's separation was not great this year, but... A) He was injured. B) He didn't perform as well as is typical, largely (speculatively) due to those injuries) C) Watkins is not as physical as Julio

The combination of injuries and inconsistent production... it just gets a big "no thanks" out of me. It would appear you agree.

I want Robinson as well. Him and Wilson would be quite solid additions. That said -- If SF is prepared to go all-in for him, I don't want to dole out 10 mil per year to a guy coming off of ACL surgery and a so-so season prior to that.

I get the feeling that it's going to be Wilson and then some cheap receiver that Pace will smoothly talk us into believing is a big part of the answer. I admit -- He's a charming fellow and has a way with words. The dude could have EASILY been a politician.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying that separation is everything. However, there's a reason he's not getting the ball thrown his way. This is an offense where Robert Woods played on a 16 game pace for 1,000+ yards and 8 or so TD's (injured for 4 games).

Julio's separation was not great this year, but... A) He was injured. B) He didn't perform as well as is typical, largely (speculatively) due to those injuries) C) Watkins is not as physical as Julio

The combination of injuries and inconsistent production... it just gets a big "no thanks" out of me. It would appear you agree.

I want Robinson as well. Him and Wilson would be quite solid additions. That said -- If SF is prepared to go all-in for him, I don't want to dole out 10 mil per year to a guy coming off of ACL surgery and a so-so season prior to that.

I get the feeling that it's going to be Wilson and then some cheap receiver that Pace will smoothly talk us into believing is a big part of the answer. I admit -- He's a charming fellow and has a way with words. The dude could have EASILY been a politician.
I never really believed that Allen Robinson would come at a discount. If Albert Wilson is the best WR we get out of FA, I’d be okay with that. I don’t want to over pay for someone in this draft class. If the Niners are willing to overpay for a guy like Robinson, I say let them. I’d try to get Watkins too, but if that doesn’t go through, bring on some discounted WRs and draft a guy they like.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors have them interested in Watkins.

I'd be ok with that at the right price. I don't want them paying thru the nose for him tho.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors have them interested in Watkins.

I'd be ok with that at the right price. I don't want them paying thru the nose for him tho.

Ugh...

It isn't that I wouldn't be intrigued by this signing. I would certainly be hopeful that he could stay healthy and put together a 1,000+ yard season. I just really, really don't want to see us get into a bidding war and dole out #1 WR type of cash.