• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Anthopoulos Leaves Blue Jays

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What the fuck?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A surprise for sure if you ask me, got to think Gibbons could be let go too as well and a new guy would bring his own manager in.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother********* (Keeping PC because in a Philosophy Class now but you can fill in the blank)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this a big deal?

The guy should have been shit canned before the ink was dry on the Reyes deal.

Alex Anthropopodolpous: "After watching the Marlins shit the bed with a bunch of old, shitty, broken and overpaid players in 2013, I wanted to get some of their old, shit, broken and overpaid players for myself"

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was Toronto's Ned Colletti.

Sure, I'll take your old shit.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Blue Jays made it to the World Series would he still be with the team?

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shapiro is running things now. Expect great things, Blue Jays fans!

Look at all of the great things he did for the Indians!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he resigned not fired:suds:

Mark Shapiro: I'm in charge now. Would you like to resign, Alex?

Alex Popodopolopolus: Naw, I'm good.

Mark Shapiro: Well, then I suppose I'm going to have to fire you.

Alex Popodpopolopolus: I resign.

Mark Shapiro: The Blue Jays thank you for your past service. Have a great day.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shapiro is running things now. Expect great things, Blue Jays fans!

Look at all of the great things he did for the Indians!

While Shapiro was running things in Cleveland, in 14 years since the end of the great 90's teams, the Tribe are 1106-1155, have only had 5 winning seasons, and only two playoff berths (one being a wildcard one-and-done).

He made a big splash with the Bartolo Colon trade that netted Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips and Grady Sizemore from the Expos. He also had nice trades to nab Carlos Santana for Casey Blake, and Shin Soo Choo for Ben Broussard. On the flip side, he had some major clunkers too, trading off back-to-back left-handed Cy Young winners Sabathia and Lee for what amounted to a half dozen fungo bats and a case of Big League Chew. The Indians' drafts have been particularly weak under Shapiro as well. This goes back a few years, but I read a story (I think from FanGraphs) that was making a case that the only team that had gotten less Major League returns from their drafts than the Indians were the White Sox.

While we're on the subject of the White Sox, fuck those Jerry Springer guests of baseball, their fans and Hawk Harrelson.

Back to Shapiro. I don't dislike Shapiro -- mostly because he did architect the 2007 team that brought me a lot of enjoyment -- but frankly, I'm less disappointed that he's leaving than I am that the Indians are promoting from within to fill the void.

He will have more money to work with in Toronto, which can only help, and I would expect him to do a better job than Popodopolopouls has.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Shapiro was running things in Cleveland, in 14 years since the end of the great 90's teams, the Tribe are 1106-1155, have only had 5 winning seasons, and only two playoff berths (one being a wildcard one-and-done).

He made a big splash with the Bartolo Colon trade that netted Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips and Grady Sizemore from the Expos. He also had nice trades to nab Carlos Santana for Casey Blake, and Shin Soo Choo for Ben Broussard. On the flip side, he had some major clunkers too, trading off back-to-back left-handed Cy Young winners Sabathia and Lee for what amounted to a half dozen fungo bats and a case of Big League Chew. The Indians' drafts have been particularly weak under Shapiro as well. This goes back a few years, but I read a story (I think from FanGraphs) that was making a case that the only team that had gotten less Major League returns from their drafts than the Indians were the White Sox.

While we're on the subject of the White Sox, fuck those Jerry Springer guests of baseball, their fans and Hawk Harrelson.

Back to Shapiro. I don't dislike Shapiro -- mostly because he did architect the 2007 team that brought me a lot of enjoyment -- but frankly, I'm less disappointed that he's leaving than I am that the Indians are promoting from within to fill the void.

He will have more money to work with in Toronto, which can only help, and I would expect him to do a better job than Popodopolopouls has.

He had a couple go good trades. Most of his trades turned into a shitshow. Personally, I don't think he's good GM, even if the cheap ass Dolans handcuffed him with payroll. When he did spend money, he spent it stupidly on washed up dog shit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AA made bad trades, but who hasn't in the majors?

He also re-stocked the farm twice, once when he got here and once after he emptied it. And there are still good pieces in the Toronto system today despite having largely emptied it again for Donaldson/Tulo/Price.

I wasn't AA's biggest fan, but now wasn't the time to make a move. In order for the Jays to stay competitive they need to completely ace the free agent market and what does this kind of organizational dysfunction say to potential signings?

Further, who the fuck do the Jays get to run things now?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it is indeed Tony LaCava to take over as GM. AA's assistant GM for the past 5 years, worked under Ricciardi and before that spent a season working for Shapiro in Cleveland.

No GM experience, but I'm okay with this.