• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Burnett Injury

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Burnett today, was diagnosed with an Inguinal Hernia. It is believed that he will eventually need surgery on the injury & that he will miss 6 - 8 weeks, in needed recovery time.

For now though, Burnett is going to try to pitch through the pain & my personal opinion is, that at 37yrs old, he will do so unsuccessfully.

Man, am I glad that Neal Huntington & the Bucco brass did not sign AJ for the money he wanted now!

I am even glad that we are not on the hook for the 14.1M QO! The draft pk be damned!

Smart move Neal, very smart!

You don't give that kind of money to 37yr old players in any sport!

Ruben Amaro Jr. is a moron!

Now, if we could just remove Wandy from the rotation we would be in even better shape.

Burgh

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
AJ Burnett today, was diagnosed with an Inguinal Hernia. It is believed that he will eventually need surgery on the injury & that he will miss 6 - 8 weeks, in needed recovery time.

For now though, Burnett is going to try to pitch through the pain & my personal opinion is, that at 37yrs old, he will do so unsuccessfully.

Man, am I glad that Neal Huntington & the Bucco brass did not sign AJ for the money he wanted now!

I am even glad that we are not on the hook for the 14.1M QO! The draft pk be damned!

Smart move Neal, very smart!

You don't give that kind of money to 37yr old players in any sport!

Ruben Amaro Jr. is a moron!

Now, if we could just remove Wandy from the rotation we would be in even better shape.

Burgh

amen and i agree,
you can take a chance if he is 10 games above .500 but he is a .500 pitcher with 2 good years. throws way to many pitches, nibbles, and is 37.

glad we didn't keep him for 5M and he wasn't pitching well anyways. come playoffs last year he was our #4 and would have been # 5 if we had the guts to keep cumpton up or give pimentel a chance at starting earlier in the stretch run.
It is easy to say we should have given the younger guys a chance when we see how it turned out, but in the moment i was in agreement with letting AJ throw a QS every other game, until the last 2 good games when he pitched well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine health of a pitcher Burnett's age was the major concern which drove down the price the Pirates offered him. I still think, knowing what we knew at the time, it was a mistake not to bring him back, but it seems to have worked out for us in a way.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree. If they would have tendered a QO I doubt he would have accepted at that time (I believe he only has a week to decide). I believe him when he said he wasn't sure if he was going to retire and it's my belief he was pissed at getting passed over in the playoff game in favor of Cole.

Personally I didn't care if he stayed or left. The mistake was not giving him the QO that he never would have accepted. The Pirates would have received a 1st round pick if he signed elsewhere or he could have been in limbo with Drew and Morales.

I do believe it was time for him to move on but is disappointing we received nothing in return.