• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look at where we stand with recruiting after the Spring Game...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey! Welcome to the board. From what I have heard, Williams may nor be deciding for another week or so. Last I heard he moved his day back. We may hear from lafonte thoroughgood this weekend though. He is picking between the good guys, uva and wvu.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea Williams is deciding July 10th and I just got word Thoroughgood isn't deciding today. I know it's sometime really soon though. I'm almost positive he commits to us.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that Hughes has named UNC his leader. This is getting ridiculous.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just read that Hughes has named UNC his leader. This is getting ridiculous.

I just read a new article about a visit he had to UNC. He described the visit as awesome and seemed really enthusiastic about it. He also brought his entire family up there and they all seemed to love it. I have lost almost all hope in him now. We must focus more and more on Grant and Anthony because I feel like it will be extremely hard to pull Hughes away from UNC.

God this is getting annoying.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if Thoroughgood picks the Hokies, which I think will happen, and Watford pick the Hokies as well, I could care less if Williams leaves. From watching film and reading write-ups, both Leal and Young from last year's crop are significantly better tahn any of these guys. The only thing that kept Young from being a 4 star and highly sought after player was his size and we all know what Mike Gentry can do to a player in the weight room. Young already looks about 10-12 pounds thicker, so I think he is a perfect fit to slide into our offense at some point.

Just for comparison, look at Tyrod before coming to Tech:

tyrodtaylor2.jpg

and after a couple years in Mike Gentry's system:

32.jpg

We can pack good pounds on guys when we want to.

Young is listed as 174 right now, and he was recruited at 165.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read a new article about a visit he had to UNC. He described the visit as awesome and seemed really enthusiastic about it. He also brought his entire family up there and they all seemed to love it. I have lost almost all hope in him now. We must focus more and more on Grant and Anthony because I feel like it will be extremely hard to pull Hughes away from UNC.

God this is getting annoying.

I would be shocked if we could get Anthony. That being said, I was shocked when we did not get Holts so who knows. I still think that Grant and Hughes end up in maroon and orange but with the crop of linebackers we have right now, getting only one would be alright.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think alot of us are overreacting to the Hughes' visit. Most recruits have great things to say of a program after visiting. Wait a few weeks and the charm wears off. Having them as a leader now, means nothing to me because I don't see him committing anytime soon and he has a good family and support system that will allow him to take his time in making a decision.

I think it'll come down to VT and UNC for him. I believe Hughes will visit us in July and is going to the Boise St game, which can only help us.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alot of us are overreacting to the Hughes' visit. Most recruits have great things to say of a program after visiting. Wait a few weeks and the charm wears off. Having them as a leader now, means nothing to me because I don't see him committing anytime soon and he has a good family and support system that will allow him to take his time in making a decision.

I think it'll come down to VT and UNC for him. I believe Hughes will visit us in July and is going to the Boise St game, which can only help us.

Agreed.

Also I think that if we can land Grant it could have a major impact on Hughes. They seemed to really hit it off with each other in the spring camps. The thoughts of Williams, Laiti, Clark, Dew, Edwards, Taylor, Grant and Hughes in our linebacking core in the near future is pretty exciting, especially with the depth on the line (Gayle, Collins, Hopkinsx2, Acree, McCray, Harley, Marshall etc etc etc...)

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really glad I stumbled across this board by accident. A wealth of info and knowledge on here, without all the trolls and flamers of the other boards. A hidden gem. Thanks guys.
Wondering what this board thinks of the Cole kid from Cave Spring. I saw where we apparently upgraded our offer from a greyshirt to a regular enrollment, and now Penn St is in the mix. Are we recruiting him as a wideout or a DB? Just based on looks, he appears similar to another Cole - Danny Coale?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty amazing comparison Six. Tyrod was definitely on the smaller side when he started playing.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really glad I stumbled across this board by accident. A wealth of info and knowledge on here, without all the trolls and flamers of the other boards. A hidden gem. Thanks guys.
Wondering what this board thinks of the Cole kid from Cave Spring. I saw where we apparently upgraded our offer from a greyshirt to a regular enrollment, and now Penn St is in the mix. Are we recruiting him as a wideout or a DB? Just based on looks, he appears similar to another Cole - Danny Coale?

From all that I have heard, we are still among Cole's leaders. he seems like a textbook Hokie player. He would likely project as a Whip or Rover but may have an outside shot of gettin on the field as an H back type. he is a life long Hokie fan but was overwhelmed on his trip to State College. If we can get him back on campus, I thinbk we can land him but if not I see him heading north. He has said that he will make his decision in the next month which concerns me a bit. I wish we could have some of tghese guys on campus for games before they make the picks.

Thanks amszete,
I am just always amazed what we can do with guys when we get them here. This is why I am not concerned with Marquise Williams. I am more concerned with Hughes and Nicholson going to Chapel Hill because you can never have too many defensive backs or linebackers.

As I said earlier, i will take Leal and/or Young over all three (Williams, Thoroughgood, Watford) from this season so QB is just not a pressing need to me.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just got some more bad news regarding UNC vs us. Nicholson is visiting UNC AGAIN this weekend and is bringing his mother. I just can't see him ending up at VT with so many visits to UNC. Really would suck if we couldn't pull him in because he is a special DB and VT could mold him easily into an All-American if he would put the work in.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what I understand, Dominque Terrell will go to WVU if he decides to play WR and he'll go to VT if he decides to play VT. Does this jive with what others are hearing here, and any inside guesses as to which way he's leaning? Also, I was told today that Tahrick Peak didn't qualify and is now going to try to go to Texas Tech. Any truth to this, and if so, does this free up a scholarship for this year's class?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, meant to said Terrell to VT if he decides to play CB.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hughes will be visiting the 'Burg this weekend. Hope Bud and the boys knock his socks off while he's in town.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watford is also set to announce this Saturday, and I believe Marquise Williams is going to announce his intentions that day as well. My best guess is Watford to VT, Williams to UNC, but who really knows? One thing is for sure, the VT scholarship boat is starting to fill up.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Watford is also set to announce this Saturday, and I believe Marquise Williams is going to announce his intentions that day as well. My best guess is Watford to VT, Williams to UNC, but who really knows? One thing is for sure, the VT scholarship boat is starting to fill up.

Latest news is Watford isn't as big as a VT lean as before. I still feel like we pull him in, but if we don't we need to pursue Throughgood. I've just given up on Williams right now because all inside info says UNC.

Also, HUGE recruiting news just came in and says Landon Turner will decide Sunday at 1 p.m. at Harrisonburg High. I've always liked our chances with him, but the timing isn't great. He just visited UNC last weekend and UNC is filling up their OT positions fast. They might have pressed on Landon to decide quickly or they might not have a spot for him. This will set the tone for the rest of class IMO. Losing him would be devastating, especially considering UNC already took our other star o-lineman earlier. I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we expecting any good news this weekend, or do we think it's going to be a total wash? By the way Forty-Sixand2, tell us how you REALLY feel about Nic Acree. Glad to hear he is looking good. You think he's going to be able to contribute this year?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we expecting any good news this weekend, or do we think it's going to be a total wash? By the way Forty-Sixand2, tell us how you REALLY feel about Nic Acree. Glad to hear he is looking good. You think he's going to be able to contribute this year?

I think that the only good news that we may get this weekend is a bit of interest from Cyrus Kouandjio. He may put us in his top 12 but it would be a real stretch for us to get him. I am hoping that Landon Turner shocks us all and commits to the Hokies to right the ship a little bit but I am not holding my breath. I expect some new offers to go out, especially with the Peaks out of the mix now, but I think we may need to wait a while for our nex commit. if I had to guess it would be LT.

Acree would contribute right away on most teams but we are pretty deep on the D line, so a redshirt year may be in the mix. he was asked about this and said he was cool with it, either way. As of right now, my guess at the 2 deep along the D line would be:

SSDE: Drager - Collins
WSDE: Friday - Gayle
NT: Graves - Hamlette
DT: Battle - A. Hopkins