• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Smith offered "enhanced" role. per Clayton

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what that really means. I hope it means full control, not some Snyder, Allen, Gruden, Smith joint effort. Not fully sold on Smith, but at least he's a legit football man.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avoid AJ Smith at all costs. He destroyed the Chargers. He choice of personnel and lack of quality free agent signings during his reign pissed of many Charger fans. The Redskins can do much better than Smith.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, we can do much better, but I know for a fact we can do much worse. Cerrato, Allen, Snyder.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah exactly what are they talking about? Is he in charge of personnel or just here 4 days a week instead of only 3?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avoid AJ Smith at all costs. He destroyed the Chargers. He choice of personnel and lack of quality free agent signings during his reign pissed of many Charger fans. The Redskins can do much better than Smith.

what personnel moves did he screw up on ? asking for informational purposes not to be a jackwagon

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I herd aj smith is'moving'to'dc'so its got to be big so iguess he will be the personal guy side note( aj smith is good friends with'wade phillips and wade was his dc at san dego

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, Word-for-word. He cost us Marty and a Super Bowl. Simple as that.

The man in cancer. I dare him to ever show his face in San Diego again.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, Word-for-word. He cost us Marty and a Super Bowl. Simple as that.

The man in cancer. I dare him to ever show his face in San Diego again.

Oh, great. I hope Snyder gives him a huge contract so that when we run him out of town, snyder takes another financial hit. I figure our best bet is for Snyder to go bankrupt paying all these guys to go away. It may take a while, but I've already waited 15 years, what's another decade or two?

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what personnel moves did he screw up on ? asking for informational purposes not to be a jackwagon

He got into a pissing contest with Marty S. Marty wanted to bring in some FAs, but AJ wanted to build via the draft and was unwilling to trade picks and/or spend the money (part of this was also due to the tight fisted Spanos family). Our secondary became the laughing stock of the league and opposing QBs knew they would have a field day. I don't remember the specific players' names, but Marty and AJ did not see eye-to-eye when it came to player personnel. When Marty got canned after the 14-2 season, and AJ Smith signed Norv Turner as his successor, I knew we were screwed.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did? Marty?

No AJ. Wasn't he in charge of personnel? Didn't he take over a team that had a bunch of losing records and turned them into contenders? Didn't he correctly project Philip Rivers as the better QB than Eli and parlayed that into Sean Meriman and the long term kicker?

I get it, he's a dick and he never quite got it all the way done in SD. And I'm a Marty guy too so there's pain in knowing he fired Marty for Norv. But that does not change the fact that he built great teams in SD

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got into a pissing contest with Marty S. Marty wanted to bring in some FAs, but AJ wanted to build via the draft and was unwilling to trade picks and/or spend the money (part of this was also due to the tight fisted Spanos family). Our secondary became the laughing stock of the league and opposing QBs knew they would have a field day. I don't remember the specific players' names, but Marty and AJ did not see eye-to-eye when it came to player personnel. When Marty got canned after the 14-2 season, and AJ Smith signed Norv Turner as his successor, I knew we were screwed.

And to be clear, Marty walked away as much as he got fired. It became very personal for A.J. and Marty took the high road and walked away. Made me sick every time they showed the luxury suite with A.J. sitting up there with Spanos. That team was going to win the Super Bowl.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No AJ. Wasn't he in charge of personnel? Didn't he take over a team that had a bunch of losing records and turned them into contenders? Didn't he correctly project Philip Rivers as the better QB than Eli and parlayed that into Sean Meriman and the long term kicker?

I get it, he's a dick and he never quite got it all the way done in SD. And I'm a Marty guy too so there's pain in knowing he fired Marty for Norv. But that does not change the fact that he built great teams in SD

I can't get past the fact that he was too proud to speak to Marty. Like Luckless said, when Spanos took A.J.'s side we all knew it was over. There was absolute outrage on 1360 sports radio when it was announced; I remember a guy screaming his head off and ending up literally in tears because he knew that A.J. Smith's stubborn pride had just cost us a Super Bowl. And Marty knew it too.

That said, a dictator like him might very well be the answer in D.C.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get past the fact that he was too proud to speak to Marty. Like Luckless said, when Spanos took A.J.'s side we all knew it was over. There was absolute outrage on 1360 sports radio when it was announced; I remember a guy screaming his head off and ending up literally in tears because he knew that A.J. Smith's stubborn pride had just cost us a Super Bowl. And Marty knew it too.

That said, a dictator like him might very well be the answer in D.C.

So you are kind of confirming my believe that you are understandably still bitter at AJ for how it ended. Again that does not mean he is a bad GM. Just the opposite, his record in evaluating talent is very strong and that's what we're talking about here. How he didn't get along with Marty is not relevant to how he could rebuild a team.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are kind of confirming my believe that you are understandably still bitter at AJ for how it ended. Again that does not mean he is a bad GM. Just the opposite, his record in evaluating talent is very strong and that's what we're talking about here. How he didn't get along with Marty is not relevant to how he could rebuild a team.

I think you're forgetting quite a bit. I will admit that not many in recent memory have handled the draft and free agency as well as AJ's regime. But along with that, you have to take this guy's constant need to be emperor. And it was much more than just not getting along with Marty. He sabotaged the Chargers on the way out. He is a hated man in San Diego. If Washington wants to go this direction, they better either hire an AJ Smith disciple as head coach or have a 10 yr plan in place because the franchise will eventually implode around him. But yeah, hand him total personnel control and in a few years talent will be everywhere. I think anyone would agree on that. Hell, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind the guy taking over the Titans. One things for sure, status quo would NOT be acceptable and heads would roll. Maybe it's exactly what Washington needs.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be clear, Marty walked away as much as he got fired. It became very personal for A.J. and Marty took the high road and walked away. Made me sick every time they showed the luxury suite with A.J. sitting up there with Spanos. That team was going to win the Super Bowl.

You are right. But what blew me away was that the Spanos family chose AJ over Marty, which really left Marty no choice but to walk away. The Spanos family has never been known to go out and pay out big salaries to FAs (Flowers was a nice surprise, though) and I don't think this off season will be much different. Our O line is in shambles and needs immediate help. Hopefully, Fluker can work on his foot work over the season and do a hell of a lot better job of protecting Rivers.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a little pussy cat. Why is everybody so afraid of him.
uti1625232_t840x568.jpg

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tandler tweeted that A.J. is not moving to D.C. to provide input and give advice. It is to call the shots.