• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A-Gon

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy.....Dodgers claim A-Gon. I guess we'll see to what lengths the new owners will go.

Man, everyone knows the Dodgers are just Kershaw and 2 hitters. Nothing to worry about.

:heh:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, everyone knows the Dodgers are just Kershaw and 2 hitters. Nothing to worry about.

:heh:

They were. I don't remember you stating way back when they were 9-1, how good they were going to be because they were going to get Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino and Adrian Gonzalez. That's not even close to fair. I will admit that their pitching has held up a lot better than I thought.....I was wrong on that. That said, the Dodgers adding 3 good hitters this late in the season is a little disingenuous/revisionist history to the original argument/point.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like the BoSox aren't willing to just let him go for nothing...

but if the Dodgers offer a couple of their top prospects (which they saved at the trade deadline) and take on most of his salary...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were. I don't remember you stating way back when they were 9-1, how good they were going to be because they were going to get Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino and Adrian Gonzalez. That's not even close to fair. I will admit that their pitching has held up a lot better than I thought.....I was wrong on that. That said, the Dodgers adding 3 good hitters this late in the season is a little disingenuous/revisionist history to the original argument/point.

All I did then was notice a huge start out of the box, and asked if we should be 'worried' about them. Then they kept winning, and I got more worried. And it wasn't that big a deal to expect the new hedge fund $$$$ owners to go bananas picking up talent to try to win right now.

No revisionism, it just felt like the Dodgers were for real, that's all.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I did then was notice a huge start out of the box, and asked if we should be 'worried' about them. Then they kept winning, and I got more worried. And it wasn't that big a deal to expect the new hedge fund $$$$ owners to go bananas picking up talent to try to win right now.

No revisionism, it just felt like the Dodgers were for real, that's all.

.....but back then they were just Kershaw and two hitters. Now they've changed. I got into the fray of the debate when the Dodgers were 16-6 I believe (I could be wrong though). Hanley Ramirez/Randy Choate came to their team 27 games ago and they've since gone 14-13 with him and all of the other additions. Overall, that's a 30-19 record. Their overall record is 67-58. If you subtract their overall record from their hot start and their additions, they are 37-39. That's a pretty mediocre team that was probably led by one amazing pitcher and two good (1 great) hitters.....

Now if you would have said with this hot start and the fact that they'll get Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino and Adrian Gonzalez later in the season, obviously, my tune would have changed.

Regardless of the prior situation, I'm damn nervous now, lol.

EDIT: And 37-39 was their record when their pitching staff held up much better than I thought it would.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....but back then they were just Kershaw and two hitters. Now they've changed. I got into the fray of the debate when the Dodgers were 16-6 I believe (I could be wrong though). Hanley Ramirez/Randy Choate came to their team 27 games ago and they've since gone 14-13 with him and all of the other additions. Overall, that's a 30-19 record. Their overall record is 67-58. If you subtract their overall record from their hot start and their additions, they are 37-39. That's a pretty mediocre team that was probably led by one amazing pitcher and two good (1 great) hitters.....

Now if you would have said with this hot start and the fact that they'll get Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino and Adrian Gonzalez later in the season, obviously, my tune would have changed.

Regardless of the prior situation, I'm damn nervous now, lol.

EDIT: And 37-39 was their record when their pitching staff held up much better than I thought it would.

So since they've been 14-13 since adding their new guys, why are you worried?

Is it because maybe their mediocre record in between was due somewhat to Kemp missing so many games? And does that help or hurt my prediction that the Dodgers were/are for real?

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally the nervousness on my end has more to do with the Dodgers willing to pay huge contracts (Lee, Ramirez, A-Gon) for production that doesn't match....basically, what I'm saying is that the new Dodgers feel more like Yankees-West then McCourt's joke of a franchise. The fact that they are willing to drop that kind of coin on players that normally just breeze through waivers is what is so disconcerting to me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally the nervousness on my end has more to do with the Dodgers willing to pay huge contracts (Lee, Ramirez, A-Gon) for production that doesn't match....basically, what I'm saying is that the new Dodgers feel more like Yankees-West then McCourt's joke of a franchise. The fact that they are willing to drop that kind of coin on players that normally just breeze through waivers is what is so disconcerting to me.

Agreed, there's no doubt that's their model, Yankees West. I don't think we want to become Red Sox West, nor could we, but I hope they at least acknowledge that the Giants may have to spend a little more. The Padres new owners aren't going to cheap out either.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it because maybe their mediocre record in between was due somewhat to Kemp missing so many games? And does that help or hurt my prediction that the Dodgers were/are for real?

Does the fact that the dodgers need to go to great lengths to stay competitive with the Giants show you that the team you thought were for real were in fact, not?

It actually supports many of our claims that a team of Kershaw, Kemp, and Ethier alone aren't enough..what are you crowing about?

If they do land A-Gon..shit just got real, part 2?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the fact that the dodgers need to go to great lengths to stay competitive with the Giants show you that the team you thought were for real were in fact, not?

It actually supports many of our claims that a team of Kershaw, Kemp, and Ethier alone aren't enough..what are you crowing about?

If they do land A-Gon..shit just got real, part 2?

I don't know why this turned into a dick measuring contest. Can't a guy occaisionally be right about a vague hunch?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's which guys that are added that make a difference, not simply turning over roster.

We did point out that a lack of depth could hurt the dodgers at some point.

I could easily argue that the Giants have faced more adversity than the dodgers at this point of the season.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why this turned into a dick measuring contest. Can't a guy occaisionally be right about a vague hunch?

:burt:

It's not about who's right or wrong. It's the method of evaluation.

If you were really that sure on dodger success you should've placed your bet on the dodgers instead.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason why I would be worried is because the Dodgers would have filled their two biggest lineup holes (i.e. - 1B and 3B) with two good bats (HanRam and AGon). Loney/Rivera and Uribe just weren't cutting it and now they have two players who are clear upgrades. That's why I would be worried.

Surely the Dodgers would have had a better record with Kemp in the lineup, but that's kind of the point.....they had no depth to recover. Also, couldn't one argue that they wouldn't have gone 14-13 even with Kemp in the lineup had they not gotten HanRam, Choate and Vicorino? The Giants were able to overcome the losses of Weezy and Pablo much better due to their better depth. I've already admitted to the Dodgers pitching doing much better than I ever thought they would.

I've half admitted you were right. The Dodgers pitching staff (as I alluded to above) was/is much better than I ever anticipated. I must give you credit for that, I was wrong. However, when you say "Man, everyone knows the Dodgers are just Kershaw and 2 hitters. Nothing to worry about." followed by a laughing smiley, I just felt I needed to clarify my position. The parameters of where the Dodgers were (for most of the season) and what they are now with AGon (assumption) have changed dramatically and you didn't mention that part after you wrote what you did in post 21. Had you just wrote something like "the Dodgers are still here battling with us just like I feared", obviously, there would be no need for me to clarify my earlier position.....of that there is no argument. The Dodgers are right in the thick of it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why I would be worried is because the Dodgers would have filled their two biggest lineup holes (i.e. - 1B and 3B) with two good bats (HanRam and AGon). Loney/Rivera and Uribe just weren't cutting it and now they have two players who are clear upgrades. That's why I would be worried.

Surely the Dodgers would have had a better record with Kemp in the lineup, but that's kind of the point.....they had no depth to recover. Also, couldn't one argue that they wouldn't have gone 14-13 even with Kemp in the lineup had they not gotten HanRam, Choate and Vicorino? The Giants were able to overcome the losses of Weezy and Pablo much better due to their better depth. I've already admitted to the Dodgers pitching doing much better than I ever thought they would.

I've half admitted you were right. The Dodgers pitching staff (as I alluded to above) was/is much better than I ever anticipated. I must give you credit for that, I was wrong. However, when you say "Man, everyone knows the Dodgers are just Kershaw and 2 hitters. Nothing to worry about." followed by a laughing smiley, I just felt I needed to clarify my position. The parameters of where the Dodgers were (for most of the season) and what they are now with AGon (assumption) have changed dramatically and you didn't mention that part after you wrote what you did in post 21. Had you just wrote something like "the Dodgers are still here battling with us just like I feared", obviously, there would be no need for me to clarify my earlier position.....of that there is no argument. The Dodgers are right in the thick of it.

Fair enough, I didn't mean it as a dig on you specifically. Just taking the chance to obnoxiously gloat some more. I had a gut feeling and it was right for a change. I was wrong about so much more, including AZ not being very good this year (so far), etc.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:burt:

It's not about who's right or wrong. It's the method of evaluation.

If you were really that sure on dodger success you should've placed your bet on the dodgers instead.

Or maybe I just threw out a vague comment early in the year about worrying that the Dodgers were going to be a challenge for us this year. I wasn't really expecting the Spanish Inquisition on my 'method of evaluation'.

Monty Python - The Spanish Inquisition - YouTube

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers may have claimed Josh Beckett too.

Ah for fucks' sake.

If we find a decent actual MLer to play left I think we still have a pretty good shot at this. That's assuming the Dogs get AGon. If they don't get him or Beckett, we seem to be good enough, maybe.

I was pretty bummed after Melkygate but we're 6-2 since so what do I know?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I have to say is....

:tb:FUCK THE DODGERS!

Those Bums are scared! :finger:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Dodgers, confirmed. Beckett has 10-5 rights, so it's no guarantee he goes there but from Boston's perspective they are very likely to just give him away. His situation is worse than the Giants' situation with Zito a couple years ago.