• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9/4 GDT Snakes @ Giants

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Incredibly, the Giants are second in the NL in team OPS+

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredibly, the Giants are second in the NL in team OPS+

For them to be where they are, the hitting had to be a bit of a surprise this season. The great part is other than Scutaro (who has to come down to Earth at some point, I'd imagine) and Arias (SSS), the Giants' position players are producing to career expectations/norms. Posey might be playing slightly above expectations due to an incredible month and a half, but Pence is also slightly below what I anticipated, so it evens out. This is going to be a great month.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For them to be where they are, the hitting had to be a bit of a surprise this season. The great part is other than Scutaro (who has to come down to Earth at some point, I'd imagine) and Arias (SSS), the Giants' position players are producing to career expectations/norms. Posey might be playing slightly above expectations due to an incredible month and a half, but Pence is also slightly below what I anticipated, so it evens out. This is going to be a great month.

Your lips to the deity's ears!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all my years of watching teams that haven't won a world series in my lifetime, they have not recovered from a game like this, and subsequently go on to win a world series.

Especially with their hats askew over their fearful eyes...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From BCB:

During Vogelsong’s slump, he’s actually striking out batters at higher rate and walking them at a lower rate compared to his previous work this year. His homerun rate is up slightly but it’s still in the area of very good. The main difference is his BABIP, which has ballooned to .411 during his hard times. His strikeout and walk rates are the main reason why I’m not in panic mode about Vogelsong’s past six starts. He’s still doing the things we want to see from a pitcher — limit contact, not walk hitters — but batters that have put the ball in play against him have usually found holes.

Slump
K% BB% HR% BABIP
26.5 7.7 4.3 0.411
Pre-slump
K% BB% HR% BABIP
17.9 8.1 1.9 0.254

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough one last night, but it's nice to see this offense continue to post big numbers. I can't wait until we unleash them on the Dodgers. I've been going on the ESPN boards (not the Giants board, though), and there's a Dodger fan who is convinced that the Giants are hitting better because we are stealing signs.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, our magic number went down last night, so it we still moved in the right direction despite the loss.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough one last night, but it's nice to see this offense continue to post big numbers. I can't wait until we unleash them on the Dodgers. I've been going on the ESPN boards (not the Giants board, though), and there's a Dodger fan who is convinced that the Giants are hitting better because we are stealing signs.

Hmm.

Dodger fan + Mouse boards

Can we possibly find a lower life form?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From BCB:

During Vogelsong’s slump, he’s actually striking out batters at higher rate and walking them at a lower rate compared to his previous work this year. His homerun rate is up slightly but it’s still in the area of very good. The main difference is his BABIP, which has ballooned to .411 during his hard times. His strikeout and walk rates are the main reason why I’m not in panic mode about Vogelsong’s past six starts. He’s still doing the things we want to see from a pitcher — limit contact, not walk hitters — but batters that have put the ball in play against him have usually found holes.

Slump
K% BB% HR% BABIP
26.5 7.7 4.3 0.411
Pre-slump
K% BB% HR% BABIP
17.9 8.1 1.9 0.254

I'm skeptical of using K rates and BABIP to state a formally good pitcher is simply getting unlucky. Obviously if you are giving up more hits, you're probably also facing the bottom of the order more times as well - hence your K rates can actually rise during a "slump". Further, if you're giving up more LD contact, your BABIP is going to soar.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, our magic number went down last night, so it we still moved in the right direction despite the loss.

The Magic Number is currently Will Clark...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tommy/True's southland doppelganger?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy/True's southland doppelganger?

Perhaps. If he starts saying, "Now do you see it?" or "Bam, educated!", then we'll know for sure.