• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.9 Gnats @ Charlottes

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this board so freaking dead?
Spending the MLB season in NY and some of it in eastern Canada means that quite a few of the night games are starting at 945pm-1045pm-1100pm ... not really a good time for us older fans. I usually read through the Game Day thread rather than immediately look up the score. Much more enjoyable that way. Sort of like looking at a temperature guage as the game progresses.

But I also think that the pandemic has changed the way that many fans are approaching professional sports and how they are actually using their free time. IMHO... most fans have traditionally used professional sports as a leisure type of an escape from everyday life. Without access to a stadium or arena or whatever ... I think many of the casual fan base have just stopped following the team in general.
The ones that you see on forums and boards are quite a bit more invested than a typical 'casual' fan .. I wouldn't call anyone on this board a casual fan .. most are very emotionally invested

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending the MLB season in NY and some of it in eastern Canada means that quite a few of the night games are starting at 945pm-1045pm-1100pm ... not really a good time for us older fans. I usually read through the Game Day thread rather than immediately look up the score. Much more enjoyable that way. Sort of like looking at a temperature guage as the game progresses.

But I also think that the pandemic has changed the way that many fans are approaching professional sports and how they are actually using their free time. IMHO... most fans have traditionally used professional sports as a leisure type of an escape from everyday life. Without access to a stadium or arena or whatever ... I think many of the casual fan base have just stopped following the team in general.
The ones that you see on forums and boards are quite a bit more invested than a typical 'casual' fan .. I wouldn't call anyone on this board a casual fan .. most are very emotionally invested
Agreed but even us very invested fans have mostly stopped posting. If the team was terrible it would make sense, just seems weird.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed but even us very invested fans have mostly stopped posting. If the team was terrible it would make sense, just seems weird.
I agree. I'm not sure why many of the regulars have seemed to have just stopped posting. For me this has been a miracle season so far. Never expected this. If we play .500 ball for the rest of the season we end with 92 or 93 wins. For me that's playoff range. Never did I expect this.
I really don't post that much but I do read the board every day. You though, post quite a few times .... daily. I also see you on the political boards quite a bit. Don't know how you keep your composure in that arena.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I'm not sure why many of the regulars have seemed to have just stopped posting. For me this has been a miracle season so far. Never expected this. If we play .500 ball for the rest of the season we end with 92 or 93 wins. For me that's playoff range. Never did I expect this.
I really don't post that much but I do read the board every day. You though, post quite a few times .... daily. I also see you on the political boards quite a bit. Don't know how you keep your composure in that arena.
This is fun for me, different kinds of fun. I love posting about the Giants with other fans especially when they are doing well. It was really fun back in the dynasty days. And we're good again!

The political stuff is fun too, I'm there mostly to troll the jerks and try to be funny. The jerks are mostly stupid so I have no problems clowning them and keeping my cool. It's just anonymous pixels after all.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This bullpen is a shitshow. I thought it was kind of fixed, but it clearly is not. Brebibia is a disaster, and Alvarez isn’t much better.

OTOH, Charlotte looked very effective in his three innings.

I dunno man, I don’t think relievers are going to be available at a decent cost. This will continue to be a problem I think.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fun for me, different kinds of fun. I love posting about the Giants with other fans especially when they are doing well. It was really fun back in the dynasty days. And we're good again!

The political stuff is fun too, I'm there mostly to troll the jerks and try to be funny. The jerks are mostly stupid so I have no problems clowning them and keeping my cool. It's just anonymous pixels after all.
DAMMIT MAN I SENT YOU MY NUDES!!!

:p

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This bullpen is a shitshow. I thought it was kind of fixed, but it clearly is not. Brebibia is a disaster, and Alvarez isn’t much better.

I dunno man, I don’t think relievers are going to be available at a decent cost. This will continue to be a problem I think.
You're a lunatic

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a whole lot of good relievers that seem available, yet. I agree that a good reliever or two could strengthen the bullpen but disagree that the bullpen is awful. Not lights out like most of the dynasty but its pretty decent.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a whole lot of good relievers that seem available, yet. I agree that a good reliever or two could strengthen the bullpen but disagree that the bullpen is awful. Not lights out like most of the dynasty but its pretty decent.

I don't know how to look it up but I would guess though June and July they've had among the best numbers in the league from the pen.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to look it up but I would guess though June and July they've had among the best numbers in the league from the pen.
I heard on the radio (Knbr so take with a grain of salt) the other day that the Giants have the 3rd best BP in some category. Don’t know if it was in a timeframe (like last month or week or something), but they were joking that all teams fans except for a few hate their bullpens.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio (Knbr so take with a grain of salt) the other day that the Giants have the 3rd best BP in some category. Don’t know if it was in a timeframe (like last month or week or something), but they were joking that all teams fans except for a few hate their bullpens.
We were spoiled in the dynasty era. But since Farhan made some changes we now have a very solid pen.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were spoiled in the dynasty era. But since Farhan made some changes we now have a very solid pen.
Yeah the Giants BP during the championship run, I’m sure the Royals of 2014-16 (or whatever), the Yankees during some of the Mo years, etc. for the most part tho, for some reason with BP’s we (collectively seemingly), only remember the blow ups.

I’ve called this bullpen absolute shite on multiple occasions.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've found my life more hectic this year, so I've been posting less. I think I've kind of gotten out of the habit of following games after the 2020 delay as well. That, and, as you've pointed out, the forum is dead, which means you could just be writing into an echo chamber.
cal is noticeably less engaged. Guys like 1phlapdown, sfgrtb and Stanford the Manford have disappeared. Having filo back has been nice but he's still not here often. Even Stokes seems to post less often. It seems we are all slowly fading away.

I hope we are not fading away. I just am super busy with some stuff.

I will say, after the last four really disappointing seasons, this season is surprisingly enjoyable. And yet, there is a Butch Cassidy "Who ARE those guys?" flavor to this team.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Giants BP during the championship run, I’m sure the Royals of 2014-16 (or whatever), the Yankees during some of the Mo years, etc. for the most part tho, for some reason with BP’s we (collectively seemingly), only remember the blow ups.

I’ve called this bullpen absolute shite on multiple occasions.
The first 2 months it was terrible. It's different people for the most part now.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will say, after the last four really disappointing seasons, this season is surprisingly enjoyable. And yet, there is a Butch Cassidy "Who ARE those guys?" flavor to this team.
I think it’s that “who ARE those guys” thing, and the way baseball is just so boring these days (imho). I know SO, BB, HR wins games, but it’s just so slow. I much prefer the 2010-2014 way of winning games vs this. Maybe I’ll change my mind if they win the WS, but it’s just not a fun brand of baseball to watch for me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, sure, but we know Posey and Crawford and Cueto. We just didn't expect them to be any good anymore.