• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/30/16 Nationals @ Giants: Pence's Return

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds(0.2)-Hunter(1.1)-Law(1.0)-Lopez(0.0)-Romo(1.0)-Casilla(1.0). Solid effort from FYWW
I know they looked good today, but does that moniker still apply? We gave that to them in '10, when they really were a lights-out bully. Only Romo, Casilla and Lopez remain from that group, and they are certainly less than "lights-out"...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling this bully "FYWW" would be akin to calling today's Reds bully "the Nasty Boys".

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they looked good today, but does that moniker still apply? We gave that to them in '10, when they really were a lights-out bully. Only Romo, Casilla and Lopez remain from that group, and they are certainly less than "lights-out"...

Yeah, they have lost that mantle. But what do we call them now

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's give em some love, it's not a bad thing to keep some continuity with the WS years....

Lopez is on his last legs for sure, and Casilla has been wobbly, but there's still lots of quality arms there: Romo, Strickland, Law, Gearrin, Kontos, these are good relievers. What we don't have is a superstar Chapman/Davis/Miller closer type. But the pen is going to be ok. I'd like them to add a lefty.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now but Colorado is 1 game under .500. They are so close to being good.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annnnnnnd, 0-6 with RISP in two innings, and PV implodes in the 3rd, right on schedule.

It is a terrible burden on the pitchers to have to pitch shutouts just to be able to have a chance with this pathetic offense. But dayum, PV.

:smh:

I'm not buying into that. They need to keep the team in the game. We lose, we lose, but they can't be the phuking #weaklink they've been.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's alright guys, we once had an infield of Jose Castillo, Ray Durham, Omar Vizquel and John Bowker, with Keiichi Yabu pitching, and we made it this far.

Threw a one pitch inning. The only triple play I've ever seen the Giants turn.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
post game pic

Copqj3NUEAEX8Jw.jpg

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I leave you all for a week and all you can scrap up is 3 wins?

Great job fellas! That's much better than what the team was doing before I left. Not liking that Dodgers' team only 1.5 back.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, no matter how bad things may seem at times now, it's nothing compared to those days back then.

I'm not saying I miss those days, but it is something I look back somewhat fondly on. Those were the days were there was no pressure, losing was whatever and winning was a damn thrill. Now, losing fucking blows and winning is a relief, somewhat (until post-deadline, then winning is a thrill and relief). I remember trying to talk myself into believing Velez, or Bowker, or Ortmiere or Fred Lewis (okay, I still think this guy should have been a stud) were part the next generation of a winning team. Looking back, it is also interesting seeing how we built the generation we're in now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wasn't as stressed out back then as this generation has made me lol, and sometimes I miss the ease of it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I miss those days, but it is something I look back somewhat fondly on. Those were the days were there was no pressure, losing was whatever and winning was a damn thrill. Now, losing fucking blows and winning is a relief, somewhat (until post-deadline, then winning is a thrill and relief). I remember trying to talk myself into believing Velez, or Bowker, or Ortmiere or Fred Lewis (okay, I still think this guy should have been a stud) were part the next generation of a winning team. Looking back, it is also interesting seeing how we built the generation we're in now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wasn't as stressed out back then as this generation has made me lol, and sometimes I miss the ease of it.
Following a "losing" team certainly has perks. Every kid has to potential to bring on the Golden Age. Every new player has multiple jobs to compete for.

A "winning" team, on the other hand, has expectations. Kids have to be of a specific skill set, because the open jobs are few and far between. The kids also have to produce as they break in. They can't learn and develope on the job. A loss is the window closing slightly. A win is just maintaining expectations. Another Championship is like the second hit of heroin, not quite as great as the first.

When I play sim baseball vid games, I like to give myself the crappiest of crappy expansion teams. Then I am winning the World Series by season 3 or 4, and I lose interest. Building is human nature, just as entropy is.