• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/30/16 Nationals @ Giants: Pence's Return

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bases loaded again. Giants are 2-18 last 12 games in such situations.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SFGRTB, nice work on the Minor League updates. I will take next week. Some really intriguing players in the minors. I didn't realize that Bednar was 6' 4" tall, pretty tall for a 2B.

Were you on the Mouse board when BruteSentiment was there? He writes a good blog on the minors for McCovey Chronicles. And Wrenzie has a good blog, too, though his is once a week, and focuses on individual players.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, today at least, the Melancon trade benefited the Giants. With Rivero traded, Nats were a man short in the Pen, maybe Petit left in a little too long.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SFGRTB, nice work on the Minor League updates. I will take next week. Some really intriguing players in the minors. I didn't realize that Bednar was 6' 4" tall, pretty tall for a 2B.

Were you on the Mouse board when BruteSentiment was there? He writes a good blog on the minors for McCovey Chronicles. And Wrenzie has a good blog, too, though his is once a week, and focuses on individual players.

Thanks. Yeah there's a lot going on, especially with the 2016 draftees all playing in Salem. It helps today when there is so much video available, we really get good looks at the farm. I've also been following San Jose's squad really closely this year, more than others.

I was not at ESPN yet, but I read Brute's blog on occasion now. GiantsProspectsTalk on Twitter is a good source for quick coverage, Giant_Potential (though his site is pay-blocked now) has tons of content and video, especially of guys in the lower levels. Dr. B's blog. Cove Chatter. Then there's all the scouts and prospect beat writers I follow. J.J. Cooper of Baseball America, Joe Ritzo (San Jose), David Lee (Augusta), our very own Matt for the Rivercats, Adam Mclntruff (Baseball Prospectus). I haven't found a great source for AA yet, which is a shame with all our talent there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Yeah there's a lot going on, especially with the 2016 draftees all playing in Salem. It helps today when there is so much video available, we really get good looks at the farm. I've also been following San Jose's squad really closely this year, more than others.

I was not at ESPN yet, but I read Brute's blog on occasion now. GiantsProspectsTalk on Twitter is a good source for quick coverage, Giant_Potential (though his site is pay-blocked now) has tons of content and video, especially of guys in the lower levels. Dr. B's blog. Cove Chatter. Then there's all the scouts and prospect beat writers I follow. J.J. Cooper of Baseball America, Joe Ritzo (San Jose), David Lee (Augusta), our very own Matt for the Rivercats, Adam Mclntruff (Baseball Prospectus). I haven't found a great source for AA yet, which is a shame with all our talent there.

I love Ritzo's stuff.

Ever been to the Arizona Fall League?

You might enjoy it. Things are half as expensive as Spring Training. It is cooler in Arizona. Maybe 200 people at a game on a regular day (family, scouts, autograph seekers). You can really get to know some of the up and coming players. I have almost abandoned Spring Training due to the costs and the crowds, and now spend a week with the AFL. Also, a $100 pass will get you and a friend into all the games, but the regular games are only $6 a seat. My friend Paul and I go and sit with the scouts behind home plate. Interesting chatter, though they tend to write more than talk. Trade secrets, you know.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez walks Harper and Kruk says, "that's unusual."

What's so unusual about that, Kruk? Lopez has been doing that all season long.

I love K&K, but they tow the company line a bit hard at times.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Ritzo's stuff.

Ever been to the Arizona Fall League?

You might enjoy it. Things are half as expensive as Spring Training. It is cooler in Arizona. Maybe 200 people at a game on a regular day (family, scouts, autograph seekers). You can really get to know some of the up and coming players. I have almost abandoned Spring Training due to the costs and the crowds, and now spend a week with the AFL. Also, a $100 pass will get you and a friend into all the games, but the regular games are only $6 a seat. My friend Paul and I go and sit with the scouts behind home plate. Interesting chatter, though they tend to write more than talk. Trade secrets, you know.

One year, I'll get out there. I remember, must have been 3/4 years ago now, I went to ST with just my grandpa. He decided to skip one of the games, so I just went on my own and sat right behind homeplate with all the scouts. It was a really interesting experience, but as you said hearing their comments and opinions was really interesting. I think the AFL would be right up my alley.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez walks Harper and Kruk says, "that's unusual."

What's so unusual about that, Kruk? Lopez has been doing that all season long.

I love K&K, but they tow the company line a bit hard at times.

Thought the same thing. He's just been bad this year, no way around it. 10/11 K/BB ratio in 18 innings. Only 18 IP in 45 appearances. He's just not getting it done.

Interesting stat: Lopez has walked 8 of the 60 LHB (maybe 9 of 61 now???), most since he walked 9 of the 104 he faced in 2011.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One year, I'll get out there. I remember, must have been 3/4 years ago now, I went to ST with just my grandpa. He decided to skip one of the games, so I just went on my own and sat right behind homeplate with all the scouts. It was a really interesting experience, but as you said hearing their comments and opinions was really interesting. I think the AFL would be right up my alley.

Lots of former players working as scouts. Target rich environment for autograph seekers.

I started going to Spring Training in 2011 with my son, who was then at UCLA and I lived in Pasadena. It was a relatively easy drive from LA, if we left in the morning. :D

In 2011, the tickets were abundant, and the prices of hotels were high, but not extreme. Now, everybody knows that the 8 weeks of Spring Training is a season to make a buck or two. Last year, I stayed in Scottsdale, and the same room for Spring Training was triple what it was for the Fall League. And I tried to go on game day to the Giants' game, and they wanted $45 to sit out on the grass!

I really like the KC-TEX stadium at Surprise. The Cubs new stadium in Mesa is pretty cool. Camelback (CWS-LAD) is pretty nice, too. Scottsdale is looking and feeling its age, and I hope the Giants do something about that. Camelback has 17 full sized fields (8 for each team and the stadium), and the Giants have a mini-field behind Scottsdale stadium, and have to go elsewhere for practice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought the same thing. He's just been bad this year, no way around it. 10/11 K/BB ratio in 18 innings. Only 18 IP in 45 appearances. He's just not getting it done.

Interesting stat: Lopez has walked 8 of the 60 LHB (maybe 9 of 61 now???), most since he walked 9 of the 104 he faced in 2011.

By my tracking, Lopez has allowed the first batter he's faced to become a baserunner (hit, walk, HBP) 18 of 46 times this season. That's a .391 clip.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Gonner batting 3rd experiment is over. Span is probably out another day, so Nunez another day leading off. Belt back to 3rd? Pence? Craw should be back? Hopefully a pretty normal looking lineup tomorrow (though the weird one has netted 5 runs, probably should have had plenty more than that).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait...

Why are the Giants players celebrating? What happened?