• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4 stinkin' hits

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In their home ballpark, day game, mediocre lefty, the Reds manage to get 4 hits in 7 innings.

Yeah, that's how you sustain a winning streak.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That grand slam didnt help your cause either

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did need to mention that sending Leake back out there in the 8th was about as Dusty as it could get.

Grand slams are not the problem. Getting no runs in the 2nd inning is what the problem is.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grand slams are not the problem. Getting no runs in the 2nd inning is what the problem is.

not getting runs when you can is always a problem but giving up 4 in 1 swing usually creates a problem too.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not getting runs when you can is always a problem but giving up 4 in 1 swing usually creates a problem too.

It wasn't the grand slam, it was all the walks before the Slam. That and Phillips getting thrown out at the plate in the first inning.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with oversimplifying a grand slam is that the inning should never have started with the first 2 guys reaching first base. The bullpen should be used. After the men are on base, you can't pitch around anything and you end up giving Francisco a pitch he can hit. The guy is an out otherwise. So the GS is all you see but it's not the problem.

The problem is (a.) the team didn't get Leake any runs and (b.) Leake was out of gas.

Managing and coaching blunders cost this team another game, not the grand slam.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with oversimplifying a grand slam is that the inning should never have started with the first 2 guys reaching first base. The bullpen should be used. After the men are on base, you can't pitch around anything and you end up giving Francisco a pitch he can hit. The guy is an out otherwise. So the GS is all you see but it's not the problem.

The problem is (a.) the team didn't get Leake any runs and (b.) Leake was out of gas.

Managing and coaching blunders cost this team another game, not the grand slam.

I'm aware of what the problems were. I never said the GS was the only problem, I believe i started by saying it isnt going to help your cause. Obviously when a pitcher who has been in that long is struggling to leave him in is a mistake. Not scoring runs is always a problem so that goes without saying. Minor is also a pretty good pitcher, not mediocre as you had mentioned. He has had 1 bad outing this year. The other loss was 7IP, 3ER and the Braves scored 5 that game so thats not that bad of an outing.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree that 5-run innings are a problem, but the issue is more about the causes of the team's inability to score runs that needs to be addressed. I will concede that reducing the number of GS home runs would be beneficial but Minor's not an ace and he should not be pitching 4-hitters against anybody.

The Reds will continue this up and down for another season, just like in 2011, because the hitting philosophy is dead in the fuckin' water. You load the bases with 0 outs and the best you can do is hit a 290-foot fly ball to left field. Then the coach, realizing that's as good as it gets, decides to gamble on a throw that's basically straight in from the left fielder who beats the runner by a block.

When you have to play the infield IN ... and this happened on Tuesday ... trailing by 2 runs in the third inning ... that ought to tell you something about this offense. They are afraid 3 runs is going to beat them.

Guess what ... it does.

So the grand slam home run makes it a useless attempt but my point is that it was the least of the Reds' problems.

The other problem is a fuckin idiot for a manager who thinks Mike Leake is going to go through the lineup four times ... yeah ... right. I got a bridge to sell you too.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team in general just struggles to get anything on offense. It's always boom or bust with the Reds, they live and die with the long ball. The fact that there are probably only two hitters that are actually disciplined and can work the count in Votto and Choo doesn't help the cause. That in part is why they struggle so much is because most of them go up there and try to hack at everything they see.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obx yankee fan ... could be a troll.
Could be a troll.

Seems like one.
I thought that was left over at the CBS (Childrens Baseball Society) boards.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Reds in the ninth

Must be something in the water

bigfinger.gif

Dr. Cranfill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, and I mean SERIOUSLY, how is Brooke Jacoby still the hitting coach? Not that a new hitting coach would necessarily solve our problems but our offenses problems have been the same for years...how is no one accountable for this?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, isn't it? We spend a half-billion dollars on talent and have some lame-ass coaching staff that hasn't shown a nickel's worth of improvement since 2009.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing new. This particular mix of player skill sets and dugout philosophy has to rely more on late inning miracles than early fundamentally sound run production. Live by the sword, die by the sword... or homer. GABP is a small park... homers can't be ignored. Two solo homers don't equal 11 strikeouts if you need 4 runs to win... At least not more than half the games...and .500 might keep a manager a job, but it won't win any hardware. Our Reds pitch well, generally, as do ALL GOOD teams. You gotta score to win, too. When relying on a late inning rally, margin for error is smaller. Score early and make the other team have to adjust under pressure is always a better game plan. For whatever reason, our Reds don't seem to play to that script that often, and unless they change THAT, we can expect more of the same.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I feel better about winning 1 game against the Braves than none against the Pirates.

I'm not ok with what I see either, but I like the act better than in 2008. They'll play better, or they'll try to make excuses why they didn't, and try harder next year. If I was the GM, some of them wouldn't get the opportunity to try harder every other year anymore. Is try for a couple replacements that try harder to win THIS year, every year.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obx yankee fan ... could be a troll.
Could be a troll.

Seems like one.
I thought that was left over at the CBS (Childrens Baseball Society) boards.

No I was laughing at the fact that the Reds seem to find some offense at home in the ninth. I posted that right after Bruce homered and someone else got on base. I would have been really laughing if the Reds would have been able to pull off a 6 run ninth inning comeback.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Braves allowed the Reds to come back on them again, they'd have had mutiny in the clubhouse. You gotta believe some water coolers were kicked on Tuesday. I hasten to say that I doubt the Reds players get upset enough to care if they lose 2 out of 3. That's probably not true but I think it's time somebody shoved a water cooler up Brook Jacoby's ass.
Anyhow, if you ain't a troll, welcome to our world.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can have comebacks in the ninth every time we play the Braves, and never get even with them for that 9 run comeback win they had over us a few years back