• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3on3 overtime eh?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so they are going to go with 3on3 for a full 5 mins in overtime then a shootout?

its funny people complain that the shootout is a gimmick and nothing more then a skills competition.

ummmmmmm 3on3 isn't?

skilled teams won't have an advantage? let alone it is being a straight up gimmick. these are the same "purists" that don't want the net to be increased in size or the goalie pads shrunk. you want more goals in the nhl? want less games going to a shootout? follow those two simple ideas and you will have that.

prediction....i know logic says a lot of these games will end before a shootout and that might be the case for a year or two. once teams adapt to it though i think it will revert back to close the same % of shootout/non shootout games that we have now. if teams don't want to try to score they won't its that simple.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to avoid OT and shootouts is to change the point system. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet. If you win in regulation it's 3 points. If you win in OT it's 2 and if you lose in OT it's 1. This gives teams incentive to win in regulation.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 3 on 3 used and n any leagues now? I'd rather have ties than that personally....

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i dont think we will ever see the point system change. the gm's who are in control of that want as many points out there as possible. it makes their bad/average teams even better based on the "loser" point. but yeah i agree they gotta change up the point system.

3on3 is just going to be pond hockey so i'm not sure why people think this is a better solution.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think we will ever see the point system change. the gm's who are in control of that want as many points out there as possible. it makes their bad/average teams even better based on the "loser" point. but yeah i agree they gotta change up the point system.

3on3 is just going to be pond hockey so i'm not sure why people think this is a better solution.

That's exactly it. The bad/mediocre teams stay in it longer and therefore there is parity in the league, or at least they can pretend there is.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always have been supporter of idea to change point's system as it is done everywhere else except NHL.
It would definitely push teams to stay in the game till the regulation time buzzer knowing that it will deduct at least one possible point in case of tie score.
3 on 3 in OT looks like a bad idea to me. It makes players more tired after 60 minutes played already.
But it might be more entertaining than competing.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It sounds like a bunch of monkeys are running things in the NHL offices....

Shootouts are a problem. Point system is a problem with the shootouts. The one thing about bonus hockey that actually worked out well was the 4 on 4 OT. Only at NHL offices does it make sense to remove the one thing that works and replace it with a question mark.