• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is interesting.
I want to say no, and here's why. This kid hasn't really had a full chance to showcase what he can do or is actually capable of. I'm not a huge fan of giving away untapped potential. JMO.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say no, and here's why. This kid hasn't really had a full chance to showcase what he can do or is actually capable of. I'm not a huge fan of giving away untapped potential. JMO.
This is his 5th year as a Flyers now, at what point are we going to see this potential?

What if he turns down our qualifying offer and goes into free agency? We lose him for nothing.

He's a third line center its not like wed be packaging a top 6 player.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is his 5th year as a Flyers now, at what point are we going to see this potential?

What if he turns down our qualifying offer and goes into free agency? We lose him for nothing.

Well you also have to consider the junk he has had to play with, and he hasn't played a full season either. I mean come on, no one was flourishing under AV.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not really opposed to moving Frost if it's the right deal. But that's a weird article. I'd love to know the source of that 6x6.3M offer from the Flyers. IMO, there's no way in hell that's true. Ristolainen would've accepted it in a heart beat. There's no way he gets a contract that lucrative. If that were true, the Flyers would have teams falling over themselves to pay a 1st + for him at the deadline. None of the 'big guys' have said anything about that.

But back to Frost. I think including him with Risto could make some sense for teams, but I don't think dealing him with Giroux makes a ton of sense for the receiving team. Frost and Giroux are too similar to be packaged together IMO. Who needs two playmakers that want to posses the puck like that and considers themselves a contender?

I would prefer to keep Frost and see what he pans out to be. Unless you can do something like Fletcher did in the Ellis deal which, injury problems aside, I think is still a massive win for the Flyers. If they can get a couple good seasons out of Ellis that's going to be a real steal. If he can do that with Frost, go for it. But I think the Flyers have to be careful how many "we'll give you 2 high potential young players for your established pro" deals they do. They only have so many bullets to use at this point. Have to get some of these prospects to pan out.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you also have to consider the junk he has had to play with, and he hasn't played a full season either. I mean come on, no one was flourishing under AV.
If i was him id turn down our offer and become a free agent. Why would you want to waste another 4 years of your career not having a shot at the cup.

Its wasn't AV whos been to a cup or the other 6 coaches in which some have moved on and gone to cup finals and winning the cup its the players.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really opposed to moving Frost if it's the right deal. But that's a weird article. I'd love to know the source of that 6x6.3M offer from the Flyers. IMO, there's no way in hell that's true. Ristolainen would've accepted it in a heart beat. There's no way he gets a contract that lucrative. If that were true, the Flyers would have teams falling over themselves to pay a 1st + for him at the deadline. None of the 'big guys' have said anything about that.

But back to Frost. I think including him with Risto could make some sense for teams, but I don't think dealing him with Giroux makes a ton of sense for the receiving team. Frost and Giroux are too similar to be packaged together IMO. Who needs two playmakers that want to posses the puck like that and considers themselves a contender?

I would prefer to keep Frost and see what he pans out to be. Unless you can do something like Fletcher did in the Ellis deal which, injury problems aside, I think is still a massive win for the Flyers. If they can get a couple good seasons out of Ellis that's going to be a real steal. If he can do that with Frost, go for it. But I think the Flyers have to be careful how many "we'll give you 2 high potential young players for your established pro" deals they do. They only have so many bullets to use at this point. Have to get some of these prospects to pan out.
Man this board uses that word potential with such ease. When your 18 you have potential, when you've been with an organization for 5 years your potential is pretty much realized. Defenseman take a little longer to realize their potential but forwards are pretty much what they are at 23 years old. (Couts is an exception to this rule)

I agree i would like him to get packaged with Risto and not Giroux. It would be nice if we could sucker a bottom 10 team into taking them for a number one in 2023. I also agree Frost and Gee are similar type players so im trading for one not both.

Risto is making 5.4 a year right now so its not that far fetched for him to command 6 million per season but 6 years is a lot of years

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this board uses that word potential with such ease. When your 18 you have potential, when you've been with an organization for 5 years your potential is pretty much realized. Defenseman take a little longer to realize their potential but forwards are pretty much what they are at 23 years old. (Couts is an exception to this rule)

I agree i would like him to get packaged with Risto and not Giroux. It would be nice if we could sucker a bottom 10 team into taking them for a number one in 2023. I also agree Frost and Gee are similar type players so im trading for one not both.

Risto is making 5.4 a year right now so its not that far fetched for him to command 6 million per season but 6 years is a lot of years
Your just sore because your better half sucked all the potential out of you!:dhd::kiss:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only reason to cling to 'potential' with Frost is what Bacon has said. He's never had a run in the NHL with good line mates. Until he does, he has potential.

And Risto makes 5.4 now and everyone who watches him says he's overpaid. Why would anyone pay him 6? He might ask for 6, but only a sucker gives it to him.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason to cling to 'potential' with Frost is what Bacon has said. He's never had a run in the NHL with good line mates. Until he does, he has potential.

And Risto makes 5.4 now and everyone who watches him says he's overpaid. Why would anyone pay him 6? He might ask for 6, but only a sucker gives it to him.
Agree, Risto has some physicality to his game but he's more bark than bite.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, Risto has some physicality to his game but he's more bark than bite.

Take away his PP production, which the Flyers considering he's rarely played PP, and he's not much more than Radko Gudas to me. And Gudas makes 2.5.

If Fletcher offered Risto 6, he should've been fired immediately.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the seemingly worse it is.
The Flyers are about to say goodbye to G, trade Risto who they over paid for, trade Braun who is the most consistent Dman and potentially others.
In order to get a team to take JvR you will have to either eat money, or really sweeten the deal.
Other than pushing Yandle out into traffic and filming it for YouTube, I don't see any return for him.

Oh, and we have to rely on Fletcher to make these deals.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away his PP production, which the Flyers considering he's rarely played PP, and he's not much more than Radko Gudas to me. And Gudas makes 2.5.

If Fletcher offered Risto 6, he should've been fired immediately.
Gudas >>>>>> Risto

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the seemingly worse it is.
The Flyers are about to say goodbye to G, trade Risto who they over paid for, trade Braun who is the most consistent Dman and potentially others.
In order to get a team to take JvR you will have to either eat money, or really sweeten the deal.
Other than pushing Yandle out into traffic and filming it for YouTube, I don't see any return for him.

Oh, and we have to rely on Fletcher to make these deals.
Maybe we can add Frost to a JVR deal and someone will take him.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic and this is very oddly interesting to me:

Given how much better Justin Braun is than Montreal defenseman Ben Chiarot, why do you think he is expected to get so much worse a return at the trade deadline? Are the Flyers somehow less good at “marketing” their trade bait? Does it all come back to GMs loving size, hits and PIMs instead of actual defense? Does it just come down to Chiarot playing with Shea Weber last year? I don’t get it. — Sharon G.

For starters, let’s take a quick look at the numbers to see if Sharon is correct in asserting that Braun has been significantly more valuable to the Flyers this season compared to Chiarot on the Canadiens.

braun-chiarot-1024x160.png

OK, yeah. Sharon is certainly onto something here. Braun — at least by advanced metrics — has been a much better defensive defenseman in 2021-22 than Chiarot. But it’s Chiarot and not Braun who is consistently brought up as potentially bringing back to Montreal as much as a first-round pick as a plausible return. Why exactly is he being viewed so highly — or at least, so much higher than Braun?

I have a few theories.

First, Chiarot really impressed hockey people during the playoffs last year, and it was in large part because of one element that Chiarot brings that Braun really doesn’t — nastiness in the form of physicality. That’s not to say Braun is a soft defenseman; he’s certainly willing to do the dirty work in front of the net and retrieve pucks in corners under the weight of a heavy forecheck. But he’s just not the kind of assertive hitter that Chiarot often is, and that’s a characteristic GMs tend to really value heading into the playoffs — especially if one feels his team is lacking in that dimension. Chiarot also is averaging over three more minutes of ice time per night this season than Braun and is four years younger. Those factors won’t be lost on GMs.

But I do think the bulk of it boils down to hype, largely driven by Chiarot’s memorable postseason in 2021. If Chiarot does indeed seem poised to bring back a first-rounder, a shrewd GM would be wise to pull out of that bidding and nab Braun for a less valuable pick. That said, the problem here isn’t that Braun is being undervalued by the market — it’s more that Chiarot is being overvalued.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic and this is very oddly interesting to me:

Given how much better Justin Braun is than Montreal defenseman Ben Chiarot, why do you think he is expected to get so much worse a return at the trade deadline? Are the Flyers somehow less good at “marketing” their trade bait? Does it all come back to GMs loving size, hits and PIMs instead of actual defense? Does it just come down to Chiarot playing with Shea Weber last year? I don’t get it. — Sharon G.

For starters, let’s take a quick look at the numbers to see if Sharon is correct in asserting that Braun has been significantly more valuable to the Flyers this season compared to Chiarot on the Canadiens.

braun-chiarot-1024x160.png

OK, yeah. Sharon is certainly onto something here. Braun — at least by advanced metrics — has been a much better defensive defenseman in 2021-22 than Chiarot. But it’s Chiarot and not Braun who is consistently brought up as potentially bringing back to Montreal as much as a first-round pick as a plausible return. Why exactly is he being viewed so highly — or at least, so much higher than Braun?

I have a few theories.

First, Chiarot really impressed hockey people during the playoffs last year, and it was in large part because of one element that Chiarot brings that Braun really doesn’t — nastiness in the form of physicality. That’s not to say Braun is a soft defenseman; he’s certainly willing to do the dirty work in front of the net and retrieve pucks in corners under the weight of a heavy forecheck. But he’s just not the kind of assertive hitter that Chiarot often is, and that’s a characteristic GMs tend to really value heading into the playoffs — especially if one feels his team is lacking in that dimension. Chiarot also is averaging over three more minutes of ice time per night this season than Braun and is four years younger. Those factors won’t be lost on GMs.

But I do think the bulk of it boils down to hype, largely driven by Chiarot’s memorable postseason in 2021. If Chiarot does indeed seem poised to bring back a first-rounder, a shrewd GM would be wise to pull out of that bidding and nab Braun for a less valuable pick. That said, the problem here isn’t that Braun is being undervalued by the market — it’s more that Chiarot is being overvalued.
I think we could get better for Braun the Chariot. Some team needs a solid Dman for a run and Braun has been pretty solid all season. Fingers crossed we get something good for him.