• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots selected Texas A&M OG Layden Robinson with the No. 103 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.
Robinson (6'4/302) had one of the most remarkable 2021 campaigns of any offensive lineman in the country. However, being ineligible for the draft, he returned to school and was quite disappointing in 2022, posting a troubling 41st percentile pass block grade. Thus, he took a fourth year in College Station and, while productive, didn’t quite return to his 2021 form. A squat interior offensive lineman with a mean streak, Robinson has a vicious down-block that seems to knock over the defensive trench like bowling pins. When engaged with a defender, Robinson is vicious with vice-like grip strength and does well when driving his man out of the play. The problems arise when he is asked to move from his spot. As a puller, Robinson does well enough to get to the hole but often struggles to find work due to the effort it took to get there. On an island in pass protection, Robinson is more of a catch-blocker as he completely opens up rush lanes when he goes out to the defender. At the next level, Robinson should be able to adjust to playing on either side of the Center, even though he only played right guard for Texas A&M. Teams that run more gap scheme run concepts and have a rush-heavy neutral script will want Robinson as a potential plug-and-play piece, if not a backup that is more than capable of spelling injured players. It would behoove whichever team that drafts him to pair him next to a smart and capable pass-blocker, as his immobility will hinder his ceiling in the pros.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots are staying with the offense rebuild.

OG Layden Robinson Texas AM
WR Javon Baker, UCF

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Javon Baker stats

HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 202
HAND: 9⅝"
ARM: 32¼"
WINGSPAN: 78¼"

40-YARD DASH: 4.54
3-CONE: N/A
SHUTTLE: N/A
VERTICAL: 37"
BROAD: 10'1"

POSITIVES
— Functional long speed. Becomes more threatening the longer he gets to stride out.
— Above-average route-runner. Shows good pacing and understands how to set DBs up in order to cross their face efficiently.
— Good quickness and lateral explosion. Facilitates his route-running ability.
— Above-average ability to track the ball. Can make some catches in traffic as well as find the ball over his shoulder.
— Useful YAC ability. Can win with explosion and balance.

NEGATIVES
— Below-average acceleration. Kind of lumbers out of stance, takes time to hit top speed.

— Needs to improve his hand-fighting and ability to work through contact. Bullied into the sideline too often.
— Struggles to stop and come back for the ball in the air. Often misjudges where the ball is and mistimes jump.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone feeling after this new regime's draft?

Read many articles and pundints are all over the place. Some good, some bad. Some thinking NE may have gotten a couple steals...

Just saw the list of UDFAs they're bringing in.

No kicker selected or UDFA is a little concerning. I'm sure they'll bring a few in at some point.

Overall pretty happy with this draft. I give it a solid B. As always time will tell.

Good luck to all the kids selected in the draft.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone feeling after this new regime's draft?

Read many articles and pundints are all over the place. Some good, some bad. Some thinking NE may have gotten a couple steals...

Just saw the list of UDFAs they're bringing in.

No kicker selected or UDFA is a little concerning. I'm sure they'll bring a few in at some point.

Overall pretty happy with this draft. I give it a solid B. As always time will tell.

Good luck to all the kids selected in the draft.
Bell was a steal that late. The last three years of drafting O Linmen and still no LT is concerning

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people's thoughts for NE in round 4 tomorrow? They have the 3rd and 10th picks but no 5th round pick.

I like CB, TJ Tampa from Iowa if NE doesn't have a plan to go after someone like Gilmore. He was projected to be a mid 2nd rounder. Could be a steal? Not sure why he dropped so far?

WR, Brenden Rice, USC. He's 6' 2", 210# catches the ball well and had never fumbled in college.

I also like the RB from Tennesse. Jaylen Wright. Powerful, fast can make guys miss. A threat to go all the way and he's a 3 down back. Just not sure if I'd use one of our 4th round picks when we have no 5th and other holes to fill.

Bell was a steal that late. The last three years of drafting O Linmen and still no LT is concerning
5. Wallace intel: Offensive tackle Caedan Wallace, who the Patriots selected in the third round (No. 68), played all but six of his 1,282 collegiate snaps at right tackle, but Wolf believes he has the ability to play on the left side. One AFC offensive line coach from another team said he liked Wallace more than his team's personnel staff did, noting that the run at the position had his squad considering Wallace around the same time the Patriots picked him. Meanwhile, Wallace's inconsistency in approach and performance was noted by a different AFC team.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UDFA:

Zuri Henry, tackle, UTEP​

According to Aaron Wilson of KPRC2, the Patriots are signing UTEP tackle Zuri Henry. A Dallas native, Henry is 6-foot-6 and weighs 310 pounds. He spent the last six years at UTEP where he played at both left tackle and right tackle.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. Wallace intel: Offensive tackle Caedan Wallace, who the Patriots selected in the third round (No. 68), played all but six of his 1,282 collegiate snaps at right tackle, but Wolf believes he has the ability to play on the left side. One AFC offensive line coach from another team said he liked Wallace more than his team's personnel staff did, noting that the run at the position had his squad considering Wallace around the same time the Patriots picked him. Meanwhile, Wallace's inconsistency in approach and performance was noted by a different AFC team.
May have to move Owenu to the left side if they can't coach Wallace up. That's one reason I wanted NE to trade back and take Pennix, at least his backside would be covered by Owenu.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May have to move Owenu to the left side if they can't coach Wallace up. That's one reason I wanted NE to trade back and take Pennix, at least his backside would be covered by Owenu.
I'm not a Penix fan. We did the right thing at QB.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UDFA:

Zuri Henry, tackle, UTEP​

According to Aaron Wilson of KPRC2, the Patriots are signing UTEP tackle Zuri Henry. A Dallas native, Henry is 6-foot-6 and weighs 310 pounds. He spent the last six years at UTEP where he played at both left tackle and right tackle.

My concern here is he could not break in at LT in college now all of a sudden we think he can play LT??? I also don't think switching from RT to LT as easy as people think, and I don't t think Owenu can make that transition

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Penix fan. We did the right thing at QB.
My comment was based on NE getting a bounty of picks. Taking a LT or WR with the first pick. Then picking up Pennix around the 23rd pick. That didn't play out so all for not. I like the Maye pick. Just hoped to fill more holes.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern here is he could not break in at LT in college now all of a sudden we think he can play LT??? I also don't think switching from RT to LT as easy as people think, and I don't t think Owenu can make that transition
You may be right. We need Scar back. We'll have to see if any of the FAs or UDFAs can cut it?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right. We need Scar back. We'll have to see if any of the FAs or UDFAs can cut it?
I do think that is part of the plan, see what vets get cut that might have some game left.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern here is he could not break in at LT in college now all of a sudden we think he can play LT???
Look who he would have had to beat out at LT. Fashanu, no one is taking his job. So he never really had a chance to see if he could handle the LT position. I guess we wait and see.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look who he would have had to beat out at LT. Fashanu, no one is taking his job. So he never really had a chance to see if he could handle the LT position. I guess we wait and see.
Ohh for sure we have to wait and see

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an article from Mayo saying he thinks he can make the switch to LT for what that's worth.
I know Patrick Paul from Houston was still on the board and there was a run of OTs taken, I just think this would be the better pick. One of the commentators at the draft stated the pick was a steal, we will see,

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Patrick Paul from Houston was still on the board and there was a run of OTs taken, I just think this would be the better pick. One of the commentators at the draft stated the pick was a steal, we will see,
Paul went #55
Wallace #68

two other OTs went before Goncalves who went at #79 both were past injury concerns. I liked Goncalves pre draft. He played both LT and RT and some say he could switch to G.

Wallace was the best OT taken at that time. Unfortunately, he had little to no LT expirence.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think that is part of the plan, see what vets get cut that might have some game left.
I couldn't agree more. Reif and Anderson are still here and both didn't play in 2023. They've had a yer too heal and get familiar with the team. Anderson might be ready to take the LT spot and he re-did his contract. Might be a little under the table agreement that will never be known.

Looking forward to the Mandatory Mini Camp coming up. Fans can't attend, but the media will be watching and like it or not, will be our only source of info.

I give the Patriots an A- for this draft. They drafted for need. QB, OT, WR. Then backfilled the OT, WR AND QB.

QBs by mid August could be Brissett, Maye and Milton unless they PS Milton and keep Zappe.