• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we got to see Julio get a full season before they changed the bags.

Going to be quite a few more attempts and successful steals around the league this year.

Kind of on the fence with that one. I love that part of the game, but between the pitch clock, limited throws to first, and the larger bases, they are just breaking too many traditions. The records won't mean anything.
I actually love the changes and I actually think it brings us closer to the game that we've all grown up with.

- Shift limitations: I don't know when the massive shifts started, but I don't ever recall 10 years ago a team moving almost the entire infield to one side of the field. This will lead to more hits which should bring MLB batting averages closer to what they've looked like 10 years ago.

- Larger bases: Over the years due to analytics, the amount of steal attempts has plummeted. Steals are exciting and the increase in size in the bases should bring us back to historical norms here as well, unless the analytics show it's not efficient enough to increase steal attempts.

- Pitch clock/limited throws to first: I like this as well. There's nothing more irritating than a pitcher throwing to first over and over again in an attempt to stall so someone in the bullpen can warm up. Pitchers that take forever to throw are incredibly boring to watch IMO. One of my favorite pitchers I've ever watched was Cliff Lee because he didn't waste any time between pitches.

I don't think many records will be diminished/impacted by this change, especially with regards to stolen bases. The analytics crowd absolutely hates stolen bases and as a result we've seen a decrease in steal attempts across the league. I really do think these changes will make the sport a lot more fun to watch.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right that it somehow helps. Really if you want to look at what the problem is, here are his number in 2 strike counts in 2022:

Count 0-2: 22 ABs, 0 walks, 0 hits, 15 strikeouts. .000/.000/.000
Count 1-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 2 hits, 20 strikeouts. .069/.069/.103
Count 2-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 5 hits, 17 strikeouts. .172/.172/.345
Count 3-2: 14 ABs, 5 walks, 0 hits, 9 strikeouts. .000/.263/.000

Someone might need to double check my math on this, but that's a 65% strikeout rate when he has two strikes against him. That's very, very, very bad.
@NWinAZ @MarinersBestFan @wazzu31 @WizardHawk

Is anyone able to fact check me on this? I used ESPN's data and honestly this looks so fucking awful I am not sure if it's correct.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually love the changes and I actually think it brings us closer to the game that we've all grown up with.

- Shift limitations: I don't know when the massive shifts started, but I don't ever recall 10 years ago a team moving almost the entire infield to one side of the field. This will lead to more hits which should bring MLB batting averages closer to what they've looked like 10 years ago.

- Larger bases: Over the years due to analytics, the amount of steal attempts has plummeted. Steals are exciting and the increase in size in the bases should bring us back to historical norms here as well, unless the analytics show it's not efficient enough to increase steal attempts.

- Pitch clock/limited throws to first: I like this as well. There's nothing more irritating than a pitcher throwing to first over and over again in an attempt to stall so someone in the bullpen can warm up. Pitchers that take forever to throw are incredibly boring to watch IMO. One of my favorite pitchers I've ever watched was Cliff Lee because he didn't waste any time between pitches.

I don't think many records will be diminished/impacted by this change, especially with regards to stolen bases. The analytics crowd absolutely hates stolen bases and as a result we've seen a decrease in steal attempts across the league. I really do think these changes will make the sport a lot more fun to watch.
I don't hate it. Like I said, I'm on the fence.

The clock can help a runner quite a bit. Batter has to be in the box with 8 seconds to go. It's not going to be hard to get a feel for how a pitcher is working those 8 seconds. The closer to zero, the more likely you can time the jump. We could see some ABs actually be slower. If you have a runner and the batter decides to help that runner by delaying going into the box on every pitch, we could see some long delays. Yes, some are bad now with longer delays. This just won't fix it all. Particularly with runners on.

Same with limiting throws. If you throw twice you are giving the runner a green light to go knowing they aren't likely to throw again. Combine that with not getting in the box until 8 sec left and we will see a lot more attempts.

I don't think that is all bad, just different. Enough so to make setting any new records meaning less.

As for the shift, I was calling for an end to it years ago. I want more base hits. I hope that wrinkle where you can use 5 infielders doesn't become common. Doubt it will though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your first 2 I only like because it trolls the fuck out of the analytic guys that I despise. I do think the shift ban is dumb as hell because instead of making the hitters become professional hitters they just take it away. Banning the shift is statistically the exact same as if they ban left handed pitchers from pitching to lefties. The larger bases is to just to make the game more exciting and outside of bunting, new age front office guys approve of players injecting themselves with HGH in front of the commissioner as opposed to allowing players to randomly attempt a steal.

The whole pitch clock thing I actually think it great. There was already a rule than no one enforced. It is great for fan interaction, and it works for all fans. The hipsters in the pen will love it, the kids love it, the dad loves it because it gets their sons into the game. As well, throwing over to first isn’t just to stall, they do it to piss the fans off and it psychologically put pressure on the batter.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports..illustrated....
Jared.kilinic..is primed..for.turn around..
In 2023..

I don't..have..the link..you'll have to find.it .

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right that it somehow helps. Really if you want to look at what the problem is, here are his number in 2 strike counts in 2022:

Count 0-2: 22 ABs, 0 walks, 0 hits, 15 strikeouts. .000/.000/.000
Count 1-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 2 hits, 20 strikeouts. .069/.069/.103
Count 2-2: 29 ABs, 0 walks, 5 hits, 17 strikeouts. .172/.172/.345
Count 3-2: 14 ABs, 5 walks, 0 hits, 9 strikeouts. .000/.263/.000

Someone might need to double check my math on this, but that's a 65% strikeout rate when he has two strikes against him. That's very, very, very bad.
64.8% strike out rate on those combined stats you provided

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mentioned that because I was just posting this-

Yea I figured we would get an update like this.

I just dont care at all about what I see from him this spring. He is gonna have some good looking swings that get people excited but none of that matters once real games start and he has deal with major league pitching and the mental hurdles of baseball.

I havent written him off but I dont need to hear about swing changes and hitting coach changes

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@NWinAZ @MarinersBestFan @wazzu31 @WizardHawk

Is anyone able to fact check me on this? I used ESPN's data and honestly this looks so fucking awful I am not sure if it's correct.

My bad ... I did not do a forensic fact check.

I thought you wanted verification on the math of strike out %

Rainman ( ulmax ) this is right up his alley ( Maybe it will keep him off the Seahawk postings in the MLB forum :nono: )

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just dont care at all about what I see from him this spring. He is gonna have some good looking swings that get people excited but none of that matters once real games start and he has deal with major league pitching and the mental hurdles of baseball.

I havent written him off but I dont need to hear about swing changes and hitting coach changes

Same

Just show us you can play ball in the show ( specifically hit big league pitching at a > .250 clip over the majority of a season ) .

That's what it basically comes down to.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only hope is if he does hit well in spring there may be a chance we trade him for value. There has to be one sucker out there who can sell their owner on the guy if he is lighting up the spring.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jfc, leave the kid alone already.

Wait until he's done something before making these stories. It can only stand to fuck with his head reading them now.

The media needs to screw off. Find someone else to write a story about.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad ... I did not do a forensic fact check.

I thought you wanted verification on the math of strike out %

Rainman ( ulmax ) this is right up his alley ( Maybe it will keep him off the Seahawk postings in the MLB forum :nono: )

Yeah..I'm..mostly .done with..it..
To my..satisfaction..for the most .part..