• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL Draft: Running Back Class

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are your top prospects, per CBS Sports and ESPN:

1. Bijan Robinson, Texas - 6'0, 220 pounds, 2022 Doak Walker Award winner
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama / Georgia Tech - 5'11, 200 pounds
3. Devon Archane, Texas A&M - 5'9, 185 pounds
4. Wayne McBride, UAB - 5'11, 215 pounds, 2022 C-USA Offensive Player of the Year winner
5. Roschon Johnson, Texas - 6'2, 222 pounds
6. Zach Charbonnet, UCLA / Michigan - 6'1, 222 pounds

Robinson and Gibbs are the only ones projected as potential first rounders. Archane, McBride, Johnson, and Charbonnet are seen as Day 2 or Day 3 guys. Are any of these prospects worth a 1st or 2nd round draft pick? There's a common saying about drafting running backs: Short life span, injury prone, and don't draft them in the first round, unless they are seen as special special.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bijan has value because of his ability to break tackles and his receiving skills.

Lots of speed guys in this draft. I suspect you'll see a run in rd3.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bijan has value because of his ability to break tackles and his receiving skills.

Lots of speed guys in this draft. I suspect you'll see a run in rd3.
Based on my youtube watching, I think Robinson feels like a legit 1st rounder, even when you consider the short lifespan of the position. Henry, Barkley, and McCaffrey have been game changers, when healthy. DeWayne looks amazing. He and Robinson have impressed me the most. DeWayne has great value in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jahmyr Gibbs sounds exactly like Tony Pollard.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are some interesting mid-round guys like Tyjae Spears who could have good careers depending on where they land.

I like Gibbs and Robinson, and the Eagles could use an upgrade at RB (Miles Sanders is going to be a FA and I don't think he is worth re-signing). But I would not want my team to draft a RB high.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson is a SPECIAL prospect. One of the top 5 RB prospects to enter the draft in the last 25 years.

I still personally wouldnt touch him in the top 7 or 8 of this draft even if I had a RB need. But once you get into the teens in the draft, he is going to be a steal for someone.

If it was 2005, he would be drafted in the top 3 guaranteed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson is a SPECIAL prospect. One of the top 5 RB prospects to enter the draft in the last 25 years.

I still personally wouldnt touch him in the top 7 or 8 of this draft even if I had a RB need. But once you get into the teens in the draft, he is going to be a steal for someone.

If it was 2005, he would be drafted in the top 3 guaranteed.

Agreed, there's just not a lot of teams even in the teens that really need a RB at the moment. I could see him free fall like Rodgers almost... About the only team I see early on that could really use an upgrade at RB is the Cardinals. The RB class in 2022 was actually VERY strong. A # got derailed by injuries but all the RBs drafted somewhat early (like 2nd round+) were off to amazing starts and some finished great. Houston, Seattle, NY, Atlanta, hell even the Chiefs all got great RBs last year... all had a need so Bijan is really entering the draft at the worst possible time lol.

That said, Cardinals could draft Bijan but they have major issues on the defensive side of the ball, so I see them going Jalen Carter or Anderson... the Cards have to blitz WAAAAAY too often and they get shredded by QBs that do well against it. And JJ Watt just retired. Course their offense isn't much better at the moment with Connor running the ball so who knows. Still, both are needs and a stud DT or EDGE has far more positional value over a RB.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB class in 2022 was actually VERY strong. A # got derailed by injuries but all the RBs drafted somewhat early (like 2nd round+) were off to amazing starts and some finished great. Houston, Seattle, NY, Atlanta, hell even the Chiefs all got great RBs last year... all had a need so Bijan is really entering the draft at the worst possible time lol.
The gist Im getting is that this RB class is notably better than last year's class. I actually do think Bijan might drop a bit because teams will think they can get a guy in rd2 or rd3.

Bijan should go pick 6-12. Panthers are the one team I think could actually take Bijan high. He'll probably go 18-26 like how Josh Jacobs fell. I get the feeling that he'll end up on the Cowboys, Lions or Bucs are spots.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gist Im getting is that this RB class is notably better than last year's class. I actually do think Bijan might drop a bit because teams will think they can get a guy in rd2 or rd3.

Bijan should go pick 6-12. Panthers are the one team I think could actually take Bijan high. He'll probably go 18-26 like how Josh Jacobs fell. I get the feeling that he'll end up on the Cowboys, Lions or Bucs are spots.

On your first point: Prospect wise that may be. But the 2022 class turned out pretty damn strong. The rookies that were taken killed it.. so it reduces the need for a lot of teams that may be looking for a RB to draft one.

To your second point: He SHOULD, yes. The Panthers are a decent candidate if they don't trade up for a QB or one they like isn't there, so I could see a potential selection there. The Cards could trade down and snag him (they do need a RB) but with Will Anderson or Jalen Carter nearly positive to be there, I think they pull the trigger given how their defense declined heavily with Jones leaving, and will get even worse with Watt retiring.

I still think Robinson will feel free to the first point. Of course there's always teams that just say, "BPA - F the position", so there's that... but dunno.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On your first point: Prospect wise that may be. But the 2022 class turned out pretty damn strong. The rookies that were taken killed it.. so it reduces the need for a lot of teams that may be looking for a RB to draft one.

To your second point: He SHOULD, yes. The Panthers are a decent candidate if they don't trade up for a QB or one they like isn't there, so I could see a potential selection there. The Cards could trade down and snag him (they do need a RB) but with Will Anderson or Jalen Carter nearly positive to be there, I think they pull the trigger given how their defense declined heavily with Jones leaving, and will get even worse with Watt retiring.

I still think Robinson will feel free to the first point. Of course there's always teams that just say, "BPA - F the position", so there's that... but dunno.
I agree on your first point. Teams like the Chiefs and Falcons wont be looking at RB in the first two rounds because of last years draft.

The thing that will get Robinson drafted relatively high is that this WR class is well below average imo and Bijan can catch. I dont think the Cardinals make any sense, though, because they might be the worst team in football next year. No defense, Kyler Murray banged up, shopping Nuk. Then again, it wouldn't be any sillier than the STL Rams drafting Gurley.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on your first point. Teams like the Chiefs and Falcons wont be looking at RB in the first two rounds because of last years draft.

The thing that will get Robinson drafted relatively high is that this WR class is well below average imo and Bijan can catch. I dont think the Cardinals make any sense, though, because they might be the worst team in football next year. No defense, Kyler Murray banged up, shopping Nuk. Then again, it wouldn't be any sillier than the STL Rams drafting Gurley.

Oh I agree it'd be odd for the Cards to select Robinson. I don't think they're anywhere near competing and as I said earlier Anderson/Carter make WAY more sense. I'm just saying out of the teams that have a need at RB - Cardinals are on the list. Is that worth a top 3 pick given their situation (new GM/coach to come in, the midget, no defense, etc.)? I'd argue no... but to your point, stranger things have happened. I mean they're already heavily invested in Murray and are stuck with him for the next 3 years (cap reasons) - so maybe you help him out a ton? Get an offensive minded coach and maybe be competitive with Hopkins/Murray/Robinson? I mean their defense is gonna suck regardless, I don't think Carter or Anderson will alone solve that.

I certainly wont be surprised if someone takes him early. I also wont be surprised if he drops. If last years rookie class didn't turn out like it did, he'd easily find a spot to go in the top 10 - but after what happened, not sure he will.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Archanes feet are always moving. Shifty. Weak. Not seeing receiver highlights. That Alabama film is rough but Bama makes a lot of guys look bad.

Charbonnet looks underrated

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas Running Back: Roschon Johnson

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Charbonnet - Very impressed. Maybe my third favorite running back.