• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I've just written this team off for this season, but tonight is another opportunity to basically lock the Wings (almost) and Isles out of the playoffs (which essentially secures us a spot). The only reason neither of them is currently ahead of us is because they're actually struggling more than we are. Detroit draws Tampa and the Lightning are absolutely rolling. If we rise to the occasion and beat the Isles in regulation, they still have two games in hand, but we would be 7 points clear, which is a lot.

So, this is officially the biggest game of the season and it's against a competitive division rival. If you can't muster the energy to play hard to the end in this game, then get the fuck out of here.

I'm still definitely rooting for us to grab 3rd in the division and avoid the wild cards completely, but as lifeless as we've looked in back to back games, it feels like the tank is empty and it's over. Clearly though, the teams chasing us look similar, so we could actually back into a playoff spot.

Moneypuck has the Flyers at 82.7% for the playoffs with a regulation win tonight. And at 55.4% for the playoffs with a regulation loss.

Big one for sure.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, good post. The one thing I think we're all forgetting is we weren't even slated to be in a position for a playoff birth, we're still rebuilding and have made some very good strides this season. If we finish strong it doesn't matter to me how far we go in the playoffs, making it will be huge for this squad going forward. Also lest we forget, losing Hart has been a bigger blow than we'd like to admit. Hopefully the new goalies are solid and can help the push. I think we're getting frustrated because we haven't made the post season in a minute and we want to be there, however I ll be happy with the growth and what a better future looks like with adding better players and getting stronger.
Tank ?

In case you all haven’t heard, Boilers in the final four !!! First time since I was a junior there.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it all comes back to the rebuild. They need more talent so that every W isn't earned solely with blood, sweat, and tears. Sometimes you just need stars to go off and get you an easy win. The Flyers past 18 games they have one win by more than 1 goal (excluding 2 where they scored a late ENG to seal it). Other than that, it's 1 goal wins or losses. And a big chunk of that is with just York and Sanheim as NHL dmen you were counting on originally. So being worn down is not inexcusable IMO.

And we talk about games like Chicago and Montreal like they should be "easy wins" based on their records. But the Flyers have greatly outplayed expectations through effort, buy-in, etc. I don't think they're vastly more talented than people thought, Torts just gets a lot out of teams like this. So Chicago and Montreal aren't cake walks. The Flyers should win, but it takes the same 110% effort. When you have star-level guys, those games are cake walks. Your goalie pitches a shutout or your star forward scores a hat trick or your PP goes 3/4. Everyone can go a little lighter and keep some of that energy in the tank.

This is just to get in to the playoffs too. You mentioned sneaking in gassed and getting blown out in the 1st round. The cup contenders are just getting started. They have 2.5 more months of every other night playoff hockey to go before they lift the cup.
I think trading away Walker combined with losing Seeler due to injury probably hurt our playoff chances more than anyone could've imagined. I understand that Sanheim and York are probably tired. That said, the rest of the team should not be gassed and they have every reason to fight hard to the bitter end.

I wouldn't say any W is easy this time of year, but we should know by now that you have to bring it every single night in the Nhl or anyone can beat you. Those losses to Montreal and Chicago were absolutely pathetic and even tonight, idk what the hell happened in the 2nd period. We waited until the last moment to tie the game up and then our hearts were torn out through our assholes in the OT. Even after the horrific turnover, why in the fuck are Drysdale and Frost both going to the same man!?! It left Nelson wide open for the goal. Just fucking terrible!! That lost point could definitely be the difference in playoffs or 9th place.

Quite frankly, several of our players have admitted that the team collectively plays down to their level of competition. So, that's a huge problem right now and why the fuck hasn't it been rectified!?

For me, our guys have shown enough talent this season, but it's not consistent enough. Guys like Konecny, Frost, Tippett, Farabee, Foerster and Brink have the skill, but aside from probably just Konecny, you don't see it every single night. Maybe this entire season is just one giant lesson learned.

That said, the returns of Drysdale and Seeler are huge and Fedotov already seems like a capable Nhl starter. For the life of me, I can't understand why Johnson is still being dressed. He's fucking disgraceful. The gif below is basically how I feel about this team right now. We're just trying to win a damn game!!

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moneypuck has the Flyers at 82.7% for the playoffs with a regulation win tonight. And at 55.4% for the playoffs with a regulation loss.

Big one for sure.
Yeah, we just blew a massive opportunity. The Islanders are still in a bad spot, but Washington and Detroit are right there ready to pass us, which leaves us as the last team out.

Lesson learned for this young squad. Perhaps we back into a playoff spot, but I just don't see it happening. Right now, we can't win one fucking game on the schedule. It's embarrassing, especially when it looks like we can't even string two passes together or just get the puck on net. We're missing chance after chance badly and it's extremely deflating, which is probably having a snowball effect.

Choking the whole season away, minute by minute, game by game. It really is difficult to watch.

I fully understand that this team wasn't expected to be even close to contending for the playoffs at any point this season, but when you spend around 4 months securely in a playoff spot, the new expectation is that you hold onto it. It's a rebuild, but our standards and expectations of this squad are not the same as they were 6 months ago.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Would like to see the big dude goalie in net during a game sooner rather than later.
At this point, he looks good and I would give him half of the remaining six starts. Ersson could probably use the rest. Also, this dude is not just some 20 year old kid prospect. He is 27 years old. There are probably some minor adjustments he has to make to the Nhl game, but if he's not ready now, he'll never be.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something bad is in the water in Philadelphia. All four sports teams are or have choking/choked away seasons when they appear to be headed somewhere promising. Just plain bewildering and discouraging.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know this team anymore. I thought we worked together all over the ice as a team and battled hard to no end for one another. There is very little of that right now. Our defensive coverage is often terrible and the offense, despite being snakebitten, is really not much better.

I do not fucking understand. This team suddenly plays like they don't care at all. I am absolutely fucking shocked and appalled. If we can't even compete with Montreal or Chicago, we can all pack it in and go home.

We're completely comatose right now and I don't see anything that can bring us back.

It literally feels like we used every ounce of our energy through about 70 games and now the tank is completely empty.

No fucking chance this team makes the playoffs, barring some kind of miracle. Even if we do back into the last wild card slot, at this rate, we will get boat raced by the fucking hated Rangers in four games. I'd rather just not even qualify.

I'm as optimistic as probably anyone here about this squad, but I'm officially done. It's over.

This is officially the lowest moment of this entire Nhl season for our beloved Flyers.

Furthermore, am I fucking seeing things or are other teams starting to take shots at our best players now that Deslauriers is no longer being dressed? If we're going to skate Gurianov for only 8 fucking minutes, then why not put Deslauriers back in there so we're not getting physically punished AND outscored!? That and we sure as fuck could use the energy that Deslauriers winning a big fight often provides us!! The fans, the team and every player to a man!

Laughton at least dropped the gloves and tried last night. He's a tough, do-it-all kind of player, but clearly not a fighter or enforcer.

Thoughts!?

Call me fucking crazy, but right now, I'm starting to wonder if Torts has actually lost this team and also whether benching Couturier for two games (without telling him) out of nowhere has created a rift between coach and players.

Perhaps this is a stretch, but I am completely stunned at the last two games we've "played." This team has fallen off big time and it hasn't taken long either. I find myself now just searching for answers. Some kind of logical reasoning behind this would be much appreciated. We have absolutely every reason to play hard and the kids just don't want it.

I tried to warn you. This started before the trade deadline with the FO trying to cover their asses for the Gauthier fuck up by telling all the fans that this team actually sucks and isn't close anyway so it's no problem that we lost a top forward prospect.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things,
First off, if the players on this team quit on Torts for benching the Captain, then we need to start weaning out the weak from this roster! The only reason he was Captain to begin with is because we needed one for that stupid ceremonial bullshit in that outdoor game. Sure he was selected as he was the longest tenured player on the team. He is or never was Captain material. He has played like shit for the last 25 games, other players have been benched with or without being coddled as to why. So if he's quit on the team I hate to be the one to tell him, his play quit 20+ games ago!.

Fact two, Errson played well behind Hart but was never in any way pushing him for the 1 spot. He's played well but he's won a lot of games on luck or strong defensive outings. He's played beyond what we expected. Now we have better options supposedly so I'll wait for the rest of that judgement.

Like I said, beyond Torts, we have very little to no veteran presence or leadership! If these kids can't go out and push themselves for a full season then their never going to be able to compete in the playoffs! Sad we're in this situation but the season hangs on these players, no one else, no boo hoo excuses if they fail it's on them not in their coach.
The environment the players are in matters. It was high energy and optimistic. Now it's low energy and not fun.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jumping off the Torts bandwagon after losing a couple of games in a row is so premature i dont even want to respond to the lunacy of that even being brought up on this board.

FYI Torts got thrown out in TB and did all his theatrics to take the focus off the players getting destroyed. After the game no players were the focus only the coach. just sayin.
How'd that work out???

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trading away Walker combined with losing Seeler due to injury probably hurt our playoff chances more than anyone could've imagined. I understand that Sanheim and York are probably tired. That said, the rest of the team should not be gassed and they have every reason to fight hard to the bitter end.

I wouldn't say any W is easy this time of year, but we should know by now that you have to bring it every single night in the Nhl or anyone can beat you. Those losses to Montreal and Chicago were absolutely pathetic and even tonight, idk what the hell happened in the 2nd period. We waited until the last moment to tie the game up and then our hearts were torn out through our assholes in the OT. Even after the horrific turnover, why in the fuck are Drysdale and Frost both going to the same man!?! It left Nelson wide open for the goal. Just fucking terrible!! That lost point could definitely be the difference in playoffs or 9th place.

Quite frankly, several of our players have admitted that the team collectively plays down to their level of competition. So, that's a huge problem right now and why the fuck hasn't it been rectified!?

For me, our guys have shown enough talent this season, but it's not consistent enough. Guys like Konecny, Frost, Tippett, Farabee, Foerster and Brink have the skill, but aside from probably just Konecny, you don't see it every single night. Maybe this entire season is just one giant lesson learned.

That said, the returns of Drysdale and Seeler are huge and Fedotov already seems like a capable Nhl starter. For the life of me, I can't understand why Johnson is still being dressed. He's fucking disgraceful. The gif below is basically how I feel about this team right now. We're just trying to win a damn game!!

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

To the 1st bold, I guess my stance is they're not really playing down to their competition. IMO their roster doesn't justify expecting to win against anyone. The Hawks and Sharks excluded, those are tanking rosters. But I just don't think they're leaps and bounds better than a lot of those other teams. They're just playing above the 'sum of their parts' level and they've gotten better goaltending than a lot of the teams right under the playoff line.

And the 2nd bold, that consistency is the difference between middle 6 guys and legitimately top line players. You need guys like Frost, Tippett, Farabee, etc on those 2nd and 3rd lines so when they're hot you get balanced scoring. Your 1st line needs to be putting up numbers week in and week out all season. TK can be a solid contributor to a 1st line, but he's not going to drive a cup contending 1st line either. He's 48th in the league in points right now. There are guys with almost double his total.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something bad is in the water in Philadelphia. All four sports teams are or have choking/choked away seasons when they appear to be headed somewhere promising. Just plain bewildering and discouraging.
Then you must be appreciating the Phillies trying to do the opposite.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the 1st bold, I guess my stance is they're not really playing down to their competition. IMO their roster doesn't justify expecting to win against anyone. The Hawks and Sharks excluded, those are tanking rosters. But I just don't think they're leaps and bounds better than a lot of those other teams. They're just playing above the 'sum of their parts' level and they've gotten better goaltending than a lot of the teams right under the playoff line.

And the 2nd bold, that consistency is the difference between middle 6 guys and legitimately top line players. You need guys like Frost, Tippett, Farabee, etc on those 2nd and 3rd lines so when they're hot you get balanced scoring. Your 1st line needs to be putting up numbers week in and week out all season. TK can be a solid contributor to a 1st line, but he's not going to drive a cup contending 1st line either. He's 48th in the league in points right now. There are guys with almost double his total.
Exactly, we have no stars on this team, we've been needing a couple of pure goal scorers for awhile now. Hopefully with all the picks we've acquired we can find one or two in the off season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, we have no stars on this team, we've been needing a couple of pure goal scorers for awhile now. Hopefully with all the picks we've acquired we can find one or two in the off season.
BOSTON – Gridiron Club of Greater Boston president Tim Whelan Jr. announced today that Boston College sophomore forward Cutter Gauthier (Scottsdale, Ariz.) is recipient of the 72nd Walter Brown Award, presented annually to the best American-born Division One college hockey player in New England.

Going into the NCAA tournament quarterfinal round, 6-3, 190-pound Gauthier leads the nation both in goals scored with 35 and game-winning goals with ten.. He has also amassed 24 assists; his 59 points place him second in the country in overall scoring. Gauthier was a First-Team Hockey East All-Star and is one of ten candidates for the 2024 Hobey Baker Award. He was also a key contributor in the United States team's gold medal triumph at the 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship. He was drafted with the fifth overall pick by the

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank ?

In case you all haven’t heard, Boilers in the final four !!! First time since I was a junior there.
Congrats on your team,

There's no tank going on, if there was that'd be stupid. Even if we lost the rest of our games we'd still be in the middle of the pack and wouldn't benefit the team in any way.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON – Gridiron Club of Greater Boston president Tim Whelan Jr. announced today that Boston College sophomore forward Cutter Gauthier (Scottsdale, Ariz.) is recipient of the 72nd Walter Brown Award, presented annually to the best American-born Division One college hockey player in New England.

Going into the NCAA tournament quarterfinal round, 6-3, 190-pound Gauthier leads the nation both in goals scored with 35 and game-winning goals with ten.. He has also amassed 24 assists; his 59 points place him second in the country in overall scoring. Gauthier was a First-Team Hockey East All-Star and is one of ten candidates for the 2024 Hobey Baker Award. He was also a key contributor in the United States team's gold medal triumph at the 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship. He was drafted with the fifth overall pick by the
Is there a point here? Dude has never played the NHL level so until he does and puts up numbers, he's just a very good college player?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a point here? Dude has never played the NHL level so until he does and puts up numbers, he's just a very good college player?
Front office gets a pass while the team is playing well. Now they ain't playing well so let's focus on that front office blunder.

Need scoring. Had a scorer. Fucked it up.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Front office gets a pass while the team is playing well. Now they ain't playing well so let's focus on that front office blunder.

Need scoring. Had a scorer. Fucked it up.
Well until I see something definitive that shows Briere and Jones were the reason he choose not to play here, then I myself would have a hard time assigning blame. We were doing very well and playing above our heads before dude acted like a bitch. So if it seemed at the time we were trending in the right direction, what exactly did the front office guys do to scare this kid off?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well until I see something definitive that shows Briere and Jones were the reason he choose not to play here, then I myself would have a hard time assigning blame. We were doing very well and playing above our heads before dude acted like a bitch. So if it seemed at the time we were trending in the right direction, what exactly did the front office guys do to scare this kid off?
Sounds like they kept him off the big roster so they wouldn't have to pay him as early.

They don't have talent and they fucked it up with the young talent they owned. If the first part is true then they can't let the second part happen.