• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briere says during the press conference that Sandstrom has been sent back down and Fedotov is the backup. Cool.
My guess is that he gets to start the 2nd game of back to backs against Columbus next Saturday. Ersson can handle today, Monday and Friday. I am definitely going to watch whenever it is to see if we have something.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Kolosov and Sandstrom head to the AHL, Fedotov is inserted into the Flyers goalie rotation, all 6' 7" of this giant. I suppose Briere cannot have enough goalies.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this will be the way the season ends, we get teased all season of a good season only for it to end with our first 10 game losing streak. :mad2::L This is where we are seriously lacking a powerful veteran presence in our organization. The only thing to hope for is our new Backup is a stud and can become a number one because let's be honest, Errson is not a true number one.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know this team anymore. I thought we worked together all over the ice as a team and battled hard to no end for one another. There is very little of that right now. Our defensive coverage is often terrible and the offense, despite being snakebitten, is really not much better.

I do not fucking understand. This team suddenly plays like they don't care at all. I am absolutely fucking shocked and appalled. If we can't even compete with Montreal or Chicago, we can all pack it in and go home.

We're completely comatose right now and I don't see anything that can bring us back.

It literally feels like we used every ounce of our energy through about 70 games and now the tank is completely empty.

No fucking chance this team makes the playoffs, barring some kind of miracle. Even if we do back into the last wild card slot, at this rate, we will get boat raced by the fucking hated Rangers in four games. I'd rather just not even qualify.

I'm as optimistic as probably anyone here about this squad, but I'm officially done. It's over.

This is officially the lowest moment of this entire Nhl season for our beloved Flyers.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore, am I fucking seeing things or are other teams starting to take shots at our best players now that Deslauriers is no longer being dressed? If we're going to skate Gurianov for only 8 fucking minutes, then why not put Deslauriers back in there so we're not getting physically punished AND outscored!? That and we sure as fuck could use the energy that Deslauriers winning a big fight often provides us!! The fans, the team and every player to a man!

Laughton at least dropped the gloves and tried last night. He's a tough, do-it-all kind of player, but clearly not a fighter or enforcer.

Thoughts!?

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me fucking crazy, but right now, I'm starting to wonder if Torts has actually lost this team and also whether benching Couturier for two games (without telling him) out of nowhere has created a rift between coach and players.

Perhaps this is a stretch, but I am completely stunned at the last two games we've "played." This team has fallen off big time and it hasn't taken long either. I find myself now just searching for answers. Some kind of logical reasoning behind this would be much appreciated. We have absolutely every reason to play hard and the kids just don't want it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the above Maverick. I think Torts has lost this team for this year through a combination of how he mishandled the benching of Couturier, the "removal" of Deslauriers, the addition of the big Ruskie in net, and probably just exhaustion of the 82-game schedule that this "new" team has to experience as a group to gain more player trust. This was evident in both the Montreal and Chicago games as this team just looked like they were tired and showing-up for a paycheck and little else.

Moreover, one major character flaw Torts has not yet remedied is he has this tendency to over-meddle in the fragile progress of success. whether this is subconscious or deliberate, Torts just can't let good things alone and it often leads to a disaster and no one seems to know why.

If he is not yelling or creating chaos on his own (like being tossed for two games), he simply gets lost and then reverts back to old habits. Torts has done this several times throughout his career, it usually appears at the worst time of a given season, and many times it leads to his eventual departure.

In addition, the Flyers really need to have a stand-out leader on ice through consistent and high level play that garners the respect of fellow players and coaches alike. We have some players that are emerging but when the HC goes after a captain, that incident alone can be interpreted in usually not-very-good ways as a response individually as well as a team.

I am pretty sure this team has already gone home for the summer. Unless something dramatically changes, we ain't going anywhere in the playoffs this year.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things,
First off, if the players on this team quit on Torts for benching the Captain, then we need to start weaning out the weak from this roster! The only reason he was Captain to begin with is because we needed one for that stupid ceremonial bullshit in that outdoor game. Sure he was selected as he was the longest tenured player on the team. He is or never was Captain material. He has played like shit for the last 25 games, other players have been benched with or without being coddled as to why. So if he's quit on the team I hate to be the one to tell him, his play quit 20+ games ago!.

Fact two, Errson played well behind Hart but was never in any way pushing him for the 1 spot. He's played well but he's won a lot of games on luck or strong defensive outings. He's played beyond what we expected. Now we have better options supposedly so I'll wait for the rest of that judgement.

Like I said, beyond Torts, we have very little to no veteran presence or leadership! If these kids can't go out and push themselves for a full season then their never going to be able to compete in the playoffs! Sad we're in this situation but the season hangs on these players, no one else, no boo hoo excuses if they fail it's on them not in their coach.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I've just written this team off for this season, but tonight is another opportunity to basically lock the Wings (almost) and Isles out of the playoffs (which essentially secures us a spot). The only reason neither of them is currently ahead of us is because they're actually struggling more than we are. Detroit draws Tampa and the Lightning are absolutely rolling. If we rise to the occasion and beat the Isles in regulation, they still have two games in hand, but we would be 7 points clear, which is a lot.

So, this is officially the biggest game of the season and it's against a competitive division rival. If you can't muster the energy to play hard to the end in this game, then get the fuck out of here.

I'm still definitely rooting for us to grab 3rd in the division and avoid the wild cards completely, but as lifeless as we've looked in back to back games, it feels like the tank is empty and it's over. Clearly though, the teams chasing us look similar, so we could actually back into a playoff spot.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exc
Couple of things,
First off, if the players on this team quit on Torts for benching the Captain, then we need to start weaning out the weak from this roster! The only reason he was Captain to begin with is because we needed one for that stupid ceremonial bullshit in that outdoor game. Sure he was selected as he was the longest tenured player on the team. He is or never was Captain material. He has played like shit for the last 25 games, other players have been benched with or without being coddled as to why. So if he's quit on the team I hate to be the one to tell him, his play quit 20+ games ago!.

Fact two, Errson played well behind Hart but was never in any way pushing him for the 1 spot. He's played well but he's won a lot of games on luck or strong defensive outings. He's played beyond what we expected. Now we have better options supposedly so I'll wait for the rest of that judgement.

Like I said, beyond Torts, we have very little to no veteran presence or leadership! If these kids can't go out and push themselves for a full season then their never going to be able to compete in the playoffs! Sad we're in this situation but the season hangs on these players, no one else, no boo hoo excuses if they fail it's on them not in their coach.
Excellent post!!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jumping off the Torts bandwagon after losing a couple of games in a row is so premature i dont even want to respond to the lunacy of that even being brought up on this board.

FYI Torts got thrown out in TB and did all his theatrics to take the focus off the players getting destroyed. After the game no players were the focus only the coach. just sayin.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got out Flyered in our last two games.

The Hawks and Habs played our exact style and beat us at our own game with a better speed and a better transition game.

Only 7 and 5 blocks by our defenseman in these two games because they were quicker to the shots than we were in defending.

Hopefully we can remedy that in tonights game vs the Isles.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me fucking crazy, but right now, I'm starting to wonder if Torts has actually lost this team and also whether benching Couturier for two games (without telling him) out of nowhere has created a rift between coach and players.

Perhaps this is a stretch, but I am completely stunned at the last two games we've "played." This team has fallen off big time and it hasn't taken long either. I find myself now just searching for answers. Some kind of logical reasoning behind this would be much appreciated. We have absolutely every reason to play hard and the kids just don't want it.

To me it all comes back to the rebuild. They need more talent so that every W isn't earned solely with blood, sweat, and tears. Sometimes you just need stars to go off and get you an easy win. The Flyers past 18 games they have one win by more than 1 goal (excluding 2 where they scored a late ENG to seal it). Other than that, it's 1 goal wins or losses. And a big chunk of that is with just York and Sanheim as NHL dmen you were counting on originally. So being worn down is not inexcusable IMO.

And we talk about games like Chicago and Montreal like they should be "easy wins" based on their records. But the Flyers have greatly outplayed expectations through effort, buy-in, etc. I don't think they're vastly more talented than people thought, Torts just gets a lot out of teams like this. So Chicago and Montreal aren't cake walks. The Flyers should win, but it takes the same 110% effort. When you have star-level guys, those games are cake walks. Your goalie pitches a shutout or your star forward scores a hat trick or your PP goes 3/4. Everyone can go a little lighter and keep some of that energy in the tank.

This is just to get in to the playoffs too. You mentioned sneaking in gassed and getting blown out in the 1st round. The cup contenders are just getting started. They have 2.5 more months of every other night playoff hockey to go before they lift the cup.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, Moneypuck has given the Flyers only a 0.7% chance of winning the Stanley Cup this season.

According to FanDuel, the Flyers have +7000 odds to win the Stanley Cup this season; a $10 bet would earn you $700 if successful. The Flyers’ odds of making the playoffs are -188, so a $10 bet would win bettors only $5.32.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it all comes back to the rebuild. They need more talent so that every W isn't earned solely with blood, sweat, and tears. Sometimes you just need stars to go off and get you an easy win. The Flyers past 18 games they have one win by more than 1 goal (excluding 2 where they scored a late ENG to seal it). Other than that, it's 1 goal wins or losses. And a big chunk of that is with just York and Sanheim as NHL dmen you were counting on originally. So being worn down is not inexcusable IMO.

And we talk about games like Chicago and Montreal like they should be "easy wins" based on their records. But the Flyers have greatly outplayed expectations through effort, buy-in, etc. I don't think they're vastly more talented than people thought, Torts just gets a lot out of teams like this. So Chicago and Montreal aren't cake walks. The Flyers should win, but it takes the same 110% effort. When you have star-level guys, those games are cake walks. Your goalie pitches a shutout or your star forward scores a hat trick or your PP goes 3/4. Everyone can go a little lighter and keep some of that energy in the tank.

This is just to get in to the playoffs too. You mentioned sneaking in gassed and getting blown out in the 1st round. The cup contenders are just getting started. They have 2.5 more months of every other night playoff hockey to go before they lift the cup.
Exactly, good post. The one thing I think we're all forgetting is we weren't even slated to be in a position for a playoff birth, we're still rebuilding and have made some very good strides this season. If we finish strong it doesn't matter to me how far we go in the playoffs, making it will be huge for this squad going forward. Also lest we forget, losing Hart has been a bigger blow than we'd like to admit. Hopefully the new goalies are solid and can help the push. I think we're getting frustrated because we haven't made the post season in a minute and we want to be there, however I ll be happy with the growth and what a better future looks like with adding better players and getting stronger.