• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this not illegal on the part of the Avs?

Seems like it's something Johansen would probably play through if he were in a better situation. Played through it for the Avs while he was playing every night in the NHL for a contender. But maybe it's not something he wants to play through while riding a bus around for the Phantoms after 905 NHL games. He speaks up, docs confirm it's a real injury and they get started on the more permanent fix. I bet he gets surgery in the next few weeks and is done for the year. Then in the offseason after he's healed the Flyers can buy him out or confirm with him their plan to send him to the minors. If it's the latter he'll have the choice of suiting up and collecting his 8M or breaching contract, not reporting, and have the contract terminated.

Either way, can't imagine the Flyers really care that much. They acquired him to boost the return on Walker and seemingly had no plan to play him in the NHL. Maybe things get weird with his injury and he's not cleared to be bought out, but I doubt it. Buyout is probably what Johansen wants and the Flyers were clearly OK with paying him not to play.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it's something Johansen would probably play through if he were in a better situation. Played through it for the Avs while he was playing every night in the NHL for a contender. But maybe it's not something he wants to play through while riding a bus around for the Phantoms after 905 NHL games. He speaks up, docs confirm it's a real injury and they get started on the more permanent fix. I bet he gets surgery in the next few weeks and is done for the year. Then in the offseason after he's healed the Flyers can buy him out or confirm with him their plan to send him to the minors. If it's the latter he'll have the choice of suiting up and collecting his 8M or breaching contract, not reporting, and have the contract terminated.

Either way, can't imagine the Flyers really care that much. They acquired him to boost the return on Walker and seemingly had no plan to play him in the NHL. Maybe things get weird with his injury and he's not cleared to be bought out, but I doubt it. Buyout is probably what Johansen wants and the Flyers were clearly OK with paying him not to play.
If we do buy him out that means we will have at least $9.23 million on players not to play for us next year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The penalty kill, perhaps the primary reason they’ve been playoff position for most of the season, has allowed six goals in 15 opportunities, better only than Anaheim. Seeler and his 42 blocked shots on the PK is probably missed more than Walker here, but Walker was still averaging 2:10 a game short-handed at the time of the trade, third on the team.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The penalty kill, perhaps the primary reason they’ve been playoff position for most of the season, has allowed six goals in 15 opportunities, better only than Anaheim. Seeler and his 42 blocked shots on the PK is probably missed more than Walker here, but Walker was still averaging 2:10 a game short-handed at the time of the trade, third on the team.
Hopefully we get Seeler back soon.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as far as the Johansen saga goes. I personally don't think Colorado intentionally screwed us on him. I think his feelers were hurt cause he knows his career is over and he mad. Obviously he never disclosed an injury until he found out what his fate was. Can't go back and screw the Avs so he figures he'll screw the Flyers for it. I truly wonder what would happen if Danny B or Torts called him up and said, "Hey, how long you gonna be down, we need you to play for the big club." Bet he'd find a miracle cure. The stupid media is trying it's best to make it look like something else. That's today's fake news. News people should be labeled as enemies of the state and publicly executed.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we've let the hated fucking Washington Crapitals catch all the way up to us. They're only one point back with one game in hand and they are winning games lately too. If we choke away 3rd in the Metro, then we're fighting to stay ahead of both the Isles and Wings for our playoff lives. Fall behind one of them for good and it's over. Finishing 4th or 5th in the Metro and 9th or 10th in the East would really suck at this point.

Of course, our very last opponent of the regular season is Washington. If that's a meaningful game, I don't like our chances.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couturier a healthy scratch.
Tough to win a game like that without Couturier, but with a lot of puck luck, the emergence of Frost and still having Laughton/Cates/Poehling to fill out the line-up, it was just barely possible. I think we were very fortunate to be up 3-0 entering the 3rd, then fell flat on our faces for about half of the period. Fortunately, Laughton takes a penalty to save a goal, then storms out of the box and scores the eventual game-winner. If you give him the first star, the post and the crossbar behind Ersson get the 2nd and 3rd stars....Rofl

I hope Couturier takes this well and comes back strong. He's just been fighting it lately and very much snakebitten all over the ice. We got slaughtered in the faceoff circle without him.

36 blocked shots is huge, but at the end of the day, we really need a guy like Nick Seeler back asap. Idk if Ginning is ready for this and Johnson just isn't playing well at all. You'd take Risto or Drysdale back in a heartbeat too.

That's a hard-fought, big two points against a highly skilled playoff team, but our defense is still not up to par. The goals we just let Bertuzzi and Tavares score right in front of our net are embarrassing.

Idk what game the refs are watching, but it's almost equally embarrassing. Toronto should've been flagged at least 2-3 more times than they were (which was only twice). High-sticking, hooking, holding, interference. When we do it, they call it, but the Leafs occasionally get away with it. I guess superstars are the only ones that can draw penalties, so to speak, and we don't have (m)any of those.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that said, the Isles went down to the Canes tonight, so we climb 5 points ahead of them and own the tiebreaker by a wide margin. The Caps draw these Leafs tomorrow night in another huge game.

We beat Carolina in Raleigh earlier this season. Hopefully we can do it again on Thursday, but they are absolutely rolling right now and our defense is very much fractured without Seeler, Walker, Drysdale and Risto.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Risto and Drysdale have been skating again. I did not, however, see an ETA for a return. I have to give the young dmen credit but they need one of these guys, and Seeler back for the final 2 minutes of a game like last night. Every dman not named York or Sanheim looked like a deer in the headlights once Toronto pulled the goalie.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid win.
Even though his Save% was just ok, I though Ersson played really well.

As far as Couturier goes, maybe this is about his leadership skills as well as his subpar on ice play.

One thing we can all agree on, Johnson and/or Staal have to be scratches every game from here on out.
Ride the rooks.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid win.
Even though his Save% was just ok, I though Ersson played really well.

As far as Couturier goes, maybe this is about his leadership skills as well as his subpar on ice play.

One thing we can all agree on, Johnson and/or Staal have to be scratches every game from here on out.
Ride the rooks.
Beginning of the season I thought he wasn't 100%or was just trying to shake off the rust. Then he played very well for about 20 games and now how has pretty much disappeared again. Hopefully he takes this as an I can do better moment and comes out with a fire in his belly.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'm gonna cut Johnson some slack,(because I'm a homer), but dude is logging close to 20 minutes a game and is playing with rookies. He def is trying to do too much to compensate for that. If Drysdale comes back and you can pair EJ with a guy like Seeler he will be a lot better IMO. Then again he isn't a spring chicken either so.. I hope we can get some of the other guys back quickly.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beginning of the season I thought he wasn't 100%or was just trying to shake off the rust. Then he played very well for about 20 games and now how has pretty much disappeared again. Hopefully he takes this as an I can do better moment and comes out with a fire in his belly.
Yeah, I mean he missed the previous year with a serious back injury, so having a slump isn't unexpected.

He's being paid a lot of money so why pout and have your agent do your talking for you over sitting out just one game?

Sack up, see what kind of energy the players on the ice, especially the rookies, are bringing and match it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'm gonna cut Johnson some slack,(because I'm a homer), but dude is logging close to 20 minutes a game and is playing with rookies. He def is trying to do too much to compensate for that. If Drysdale comes back and you can pair EJ with a guy like Seeler he will be a lot better IMO. Then again he isn't a spring chicken either so.. I hope we can get some of the other guys back quickly.
Damn near had a heart attack when Johnson couldn't clear the puck with like 30 seconds to go in the game.
Though, to be fair, several Flyers had chances to do so.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn near had a heart attack when Johnson couldn't clear the puck with like 30 seconds to go in the game.
Though, to be fair, several Flyers had chances to do so.
Yea the deer in headlights moments are gut wrenching for sure. My wife was laughing at me cause she said that was the first time in a few years I was actually yelling at the TV during a Flyers game.