• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is excellent. 32 teams times 2 is 64 top pair defenseman.

32 more which makes him the top number 4 defenseman in the league.

Our defense as a whole has played really good.

I haven't been able to watch as much this year, but every time I catch a few minutes Walker stands out in a positive way. Honestly more than any other guy aside from Konecny of course.

2nd in the Metro. Pretty impressive start.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been able to watch as much this year, but every time I catch a few minutes Walker stands out in a positive way. Honestly more than any other guy aside from Konecny of course.

2nd in the Metro. Pretty impressive start.
Hey youre a new father you have at least 4 to 5 years until your allowed to watch only 20 games a season.

Definitely dont miss diaper duty.

Walker Sanheim Seeler Zamula Belpedio are all playing solid hockey

The only one im disappointed in right now is York and he's going to be a very good player in 1-3 years.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta love this team right now. Five straight wins and we have already avenged 5 of our 8 losses. For the others, we'll have our opportunity later on in the season. It sure as hell looks like we learned a lesson at San Jose and really took it to heart. Columbus just came into Philly with Gaudreau, Provy and their #3 overall pick Fantilli and left with a bad loss against our backup goalie too. We obviously don't even have our top pick from the '23 draft yet in Michkov either.

The next seven games are all against division rivals and should really give us some clarity on how good this team is and can become. We have ourselves a competitive team here, folks, regardless. They work together and support each other all over the ice. Some young guys are on their way to career years, Couturier and Atkinson are shaking off the rust, Konecny is a sniper and we have the depth/veterans for Torts to sit people as he sees fit without really effecting the team much.

For me, the only way this team tanks is if Konecny, Laughton and Hart get dealt by the deadine. Otherwise, we're instilling a winning culture right now. We're going to be difficult to play against and at this rate, we will even vie for a playoff spot. Why not get this team in if we are able to do so without buying at the deadline!?

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope Maverick, I really believe the tank option is off the table and out of the mindset. This team is beginning to like all this winning. It will be up to Briere to find good-to-great players going forward to fill in our weaknesses. Just look how the PP and other playing states have developed. It is not quite there yet but those states are way better than just a year ago!

The foundation has been laid and the framing done. I see this team continuing to work on being that Torts-based powerhouse!! Man, it is good to watch after the last mess we all had to endure for what seemed like an eternity!!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope Maverick, I really believe the tank option is off the table and out of the mindset. This team is beginning to like all this winning. It will be up to Briere to find good-to-great players going forward to fill in our weaknesses. Just look how the PP and other playing states have developed. It is not quite there yet but those states are way better than just a year ago!

The foundation has been laid and the framing done. I see this team continuing to work on being that Torts-based powerhouse!! Man, it is good to watch after the last mess we all had to endure for what seemed like an eternity!!

To be fair, we had 7 wins, 3 losses, and 2 OT losses last year......

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't expect the team to tank, but selling high on some of our top players (that don't have no-trade clauses) could put us in a better future position regarding assets, draft picks and the ability to acquire high-end, young talent. It could also result in having a worse record at the end of the season and our '24 1st round pick being a better player.

Are we keeping players like Konecny, Laughton and Hart? Do they want to re-sign with us or are we going to sell high with one or more of them? Those questions will be answered at some point.

Konecny, as of right now, could walk after next season for nothing. We have team control over Hart, but if he doesn't want to be here, that doesn't mean much. Laughton could walk for nothing after two more seasons.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our players are all-in and want to stay here, then I say we just stay the course and see how this shakes out. Part of becoming a contender is first making the playoffs every year and being able to attract high-end players to put us over the top. It definitely appears that we are already drafting and developing a lot of the players that will be critical for our future success. Look no further than Konecny, Farabee, Hart, Brink, York, Zamula, Cates, Foerster etc.

Right now, this looks like a young squad that is really finding it's way and has enough veteran leadership to actually make the playoffs and really surprise some top teams.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Maverick. Those young players you listed could very well be the core of a good team with a leader like Hart. I think a guy like Hart will want to stay especially if the winning continues and we do like you stated: Sneak-up on some peeps!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic says this is what our line up will look like in 5 years:

Philadelphia Flyers​

L1 Matvei Michkov, X, Travis Konecny
L2 Joel Farabee, Cutter Gauthier, Owen Tippett
L3 Scott Laughton, Noah Cates, X
L4 X, X, Tyson Foerster

D1 X, X
D2 Cam York, Oliver Bonk
D3 X, X

G1 X
G2 Carter Hart

This depth chart shows that the Flyers are making steady progress in their rebuild. There are potential core young forwards in the organization right now such as Michkov, Farabee and Tippett. I’m sure some will argue Gauthier can be a 1C but that’s not my lean right now. This also shows the work to be done, especially on the blue line. York and Bonk are very good players, but the Flyers desperately need some premium young talent on defense.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletic listed the fastest rising prospect in our organization:

Philadelphia Flyers

Denver Barkey: A third-round pick in the 2023 draft, Barkey opened some eyes during summer prospect camp and is off to a tremendous start with the OHL’s London Knights. The right winger leads the Knights in scoring with 28 points (13 goals, 15 assists) in 21 games, and was named as the OHL’s Player of the Week earlier in November. He’s on the small side at 5-foot-9 and 154 pounds, but Barkey seems to have a knack for getting on the scoresheet. — Kevin Kurz

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic says this is what our line up will look like in 5 years:

Philadelphia Flyers​

L1 Matvei Michkov, X, Travis Konecny
L2 Joel Farabee, Cutter Gauthier, Owen Tippett
L3 Scott Laughton, Noah Cates, X
L4 X, X, Tyson Foerster

D1 X, X
D2 Cam York, Oliver Bonk
D3 X, X

G1 X
G2 Carter Hart

This depth chart shows that the Flyers are making steady progress in their rebuild. There are potential core young forwards in the organization right now such as Michkov, Farabee and Tippett. I’m sure some will argue Gauthier can be a 1C but that’s not my lean right now. This also shows the work to be done, especially on the blue line. York and Bonk are very good players, but the Flyers desperately need some premium young talent on defense.

Good breakdown. It's the D that is the real concern for sure and why I think the rebuild will still take more time even though the team is getting pretty good results right now. Dmen usually take a little longer to develop too, so it's not as quick of a fix if they fill those holes at the draft. Also, I wonder why Pronman has Hart as G2? Kinda odd, maybe just saying they have 1 of 2?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good breakdown. It's the D that is the real concern for sure and why I think the rebuild will still take more time even though the team is getting pretty good results right now. Dmen usually take a little longer to develop too, so it's not as quick of a fix if they fill those holes at the draft. Also, I wonder why Pronman has Hart as G2? Kinda odd, maybe just saying they have 1 of 2?
I like to know where Zamula and Andrae are and we also have a kid named Helge Grans that's supposed to be good. Attard is also not listed.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to know where Zamula and Andrae are and we also have a kid named Helge Grans that's supposed to be good. Attard is also not listed.

Probably a combination of contract status (none are signed that long), and his expectation that they're 'just guys'. They might fill those 3rd pair roles, but at this point they aren't held in high enough esteem to pencil them in to the 5-yr lineup projection.

He has Andrae and Grans in the "has a chance to play NHL games" tier of his rankings. Attard I guess has aged out of his prospect rankings at 24 years old. He was in the 'Projected to play NHL games" tier in his 2021 ranking. Zamula was also in that category last year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also interesting, he doesn't have Couturier on there despite his contract running through that season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is too funny. O.K. if I have to hit you... DeSlauriers wins this one after it was like, "O.K. don't hit me, don't hit me"!

I was there in the 12th row i so that fight live. Good heavyweight bout. Olivier was trying to fight Hathaway all game and he didn't go for it.