• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we know what Jonesey has been doing since his tv contract ran out.

These are just, fine, to me. Basically just changed the shade of orange and made tiny tweaks otherwise.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next couple of weeks should have some excitement in terms of the roster. I expect at least a couple trades at the draft for the Flyers, plus two 1st round picks to hopefully find some talented young guys with high ceilings.
Man I hope so, we've screwed the pooch big time when we've had chances at good players in the top 10 . Hoping our new management has a better eye for talent. I'm pretty sure we're going to lose Laughton too, but I hope he brings back a ton.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope so, we've screwed the pooch big time when we've had chances at good players in the top 10 . Hoping our new management has a better eye for talent. I'm pretty sure we're going to lose Laughton too, but I hope he brings back a ton.
Laughton and/or Konecny will bring back an absolute haul, I have no doubt. A 1st round pick and a couple nice prospects, for each, at the very least. We're selling high on them (if they go), but also, they are very valuable players due to their low cost compared to what they will provide for a team.

If Konecny were a free agent right now, he could probably ask for double the $5.5 million he's currently making. Instead, he's locked in for two more seasons. Laughton has three full seasons left at only $3 million and he's a plug-and-play type guy that can do a little of everything. They're both in or entering their primes. Lots of contending teams should be interested, which creates a bidding war, fortunately.

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton and/or Konecny will bring back an absolute haul, I have no doubt. A 1st round pick and a couple nice prospects, for each, at the very least. We're selling high on them (if they go), but also, they are very valuable players due to their low cost compared to what they will provide for a team.

If Konecny were a free agent right now, he could probably ask for double the $5.5 million he's currently making. Instead, he's locked in for two more seasons. Laughton has three full seasons left at only $3 million and he's a plug-and-play type guy that can do a little of everything. They're both in or entering their primes. Lots of contending teams should be interested, which creates a bidding war, fortunately.
Connor McDavid is at $11MM which is double TK’s current. Although I agree TK at $5.5 is a value, no way he is getting McDavid money.

I’d spend the $3MM ON Laughton in a heartbeat.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean? Nolan Patrick was a great pick. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connor McDavid is at $11MM which is double TK’s current. Although I agree TK at $5.5 is a value, no way he is getting McDavid money.

I’d spend the $3MM ON Laughton in a heartbeat.

Teams do seem to get dumber as time goes on when it comes to contracts haha. I think Barzal is a decent example of that and potentially where TK would land if he were a free agent. Barzal's best season in 17-18 was 85pts (1.03ppg) and he starts his new contract next season at a 9.5M hit. His seasons since then have all been under a point per game. And offense is Barzal's calling card. TK was 1.02ppg last season and brings some intangible stuff that Barzal does not.

So, maybe as much as a 4M savings on TK to trade for him now rather than sign him as a free agent. The return for him should be massive.

I still think it would be super interesting to see what a team would do if the Flyers retained salary on TK. They don't need it for anything. He's a steal at 5.5, but imagine what teams would do to get a player of his caliber on a 3M deal for 2 years. Some rebuilding team is going to figure that strategy out and make an absolute killing selling their high end guys and retaining salary on them. I hope it's the Flyers. They could pluck legit top prospects from other teams. I look at someone like the Devils who are trying to take that next step. Could they pluck someone like Nemec for TK at 3M? Or Stankoven from the Stars? Knies from the Leafs? Find those teams trying to contend that have no cap space and take that one prospect all the fans think should be untouchable. Same goes for Laughton. He's a steal at $3M, but what kind of high end talent could you bring back if he was at $1.5M for 3 years? Can't do it with everyone, still have to keep retention slots open for a Hayes or Deangelo move, but nobody ever talks about retaining on good contracts to make the return astronomical. Makes sense for the contenders too. Could you imagine the boost a contender would get if they added Laughton and TK for 4.5M? It'd be absurd. The Flyers could ask for their next 10 1st rounders.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman on the 32 Thoughts podcast today said teams are telling him they expect Philly to have at least 1 more 1st rounder this year.

Also a good amount of smoke around Detroit and TK

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Phihockeynow:

If the Flyers trade down, they could still have two picks in the first round and pick up an extra pick. I just saw a mock draft where Vancouver trades the 11th and 89th picks to the Flyers for No. 7. The Flyers would pick Reinbacher at 7 and trade him to the Canucks. In this mock draft, the Flyers would take defenseman Tom Willander at 11.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how potentially bad this team could be next season if we do trade away Konecny, Laughton, Hart, Hayes and DeAngelo, in addition to Provorov.

Sure, Gauthier plans on heading back to BC for his sophomore season, but at this rate, he'll be one of our best players in training camp come September (and still as a 19 year old)...Lol

This rebuild is great and all, but we're going to be tanking during the wrong damn season, unfortunately.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how potentially bad this team could be next season if we do trade away Konecny, Laughton, Hart, Hayes and DeAngelo, in addition to Provorov.

Sure, Gauthier plans on heading back to BC for his sophomore season, but at this rate, he'll be one of our best players in training camp come September (and still as a 19 year old)...Lol

This rebuild is great and all, but we're going to be tanking during the wrong damn season, unfortunately.

Ya.. the team could really look bad next season. I look at that list all together like that and I'm like 'no way they deal all those guys'. But each one individually feels like they will deal them. Except Hart. I feel like Hart stays.

I think the top 2 guys in next years draft, Celebrini and Eiserman, are supposed to be really good too. Not Bedard good, but difference makers.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya.. the team could really look bad next season. I look at that list all together like that and I'm like 'no way they deal all those guys'. But each one individually feels like they will deal them. Except Hart. I feel like Hart stays.

I think the top 2 guys in next years draft, Celebrini and Eiserman, are supposed to be really good too. Not Bedard good, but difference makers.
If it's pronounced like "Yzerman," I like him already... :heh: Could be a franchise player for us that never leaves... :yes:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we'd be lower
After we make a few more trades, they can update that to 32nd...Lol

For God's sake though, if we do finish dead last next season, we are WAY overdue to finally have the #1 overall pick and picking 2nd has NOT been good to us (see JvR and Nolan Patrick).

Look back at that 2017 draft. We got so lucky to jump up into 2nd and then we completely fucked it up by taking Patrick. Heiskanen, Makar and Pettersson were taken 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively...

:eek::doh::mad2::hellno:

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After we make a few more trades, they can update that to 32nd...Lol

For God's sake though, if we do finish dead last next season, we are WAY overdue to finally have the #1 overall pick and picking 2nd has NOT been good to us (see JvR and Nolan Patrick).

Look back at that 2017 draft. We got so lucky to jump up into 2nd and then we completely fucked it up by taking Patrick. Heiskanen, Makar and Pettersson were taken 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively...

:eek::doh::mad2::hellno:

That was my thought too when i read that comment lol. If they deal all those guys they definitely will be 32nd.