• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Jake i cant think of a Flyer who has skating ability as strong and fast strides as Tippett since maybe Lindros.
Tippet also looks like he has some power forward in him. Goes strong to the net.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frost now on a 16-22-38 pace. Good to keep as 3rd center? How much as he will be a RFA?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its crazy that saying he respects everyone but refusing to celebrate something you dont believe in would hurt his stock.

This world has become utterly ridiculous. :L

To me it's just such 'meh' thing. Both for the people who get outraged over it and for Provorov. Wear the jersey for 20 minutes, don't bring the shitstorm everyone knows is coming with it. Alternatively, by getting so outraged over 1 guys actions you're stealing all the attention from what, in your mind, is a good thing in Pride night. You're not out for the original cause, you just want to be mad at someone.

But the fact that everyone and their brother could've predicted it would create a shitstorm and that there would be a bunch of twitter calls for the team to trade Provorov; makes me think Provorov did it intentionally to stir the trade pot a little more. I always think there's an alternative motivation for stuff like this because I just can't fathom someone looking at those options and picking the one that makes a scene. Who wants that attention?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just goes to show us all that Frost actually does have a stupid amount of talent, but I'd say he's never been confident or comfortable enough at the Nhl level to showcase it like this. He's made some other moves in recent games too that really display what he can do, but this one takes the cake, no doubt about it. That was a really clutch moment to score too, as it pretty much put the game away late in the 2nd period.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it's just such 'meh' thing. Both for the people who get outraged over it and for Provorov. Wear the jersey for 20 minutes, don't bring the shitstorm everyone knows is coming with it. Alternatively, by getting so outraged over 1 guys actions you're stealing all the attention from what, in your mind, is a good thing in Pride night. You're not out for the original cause, you just want to be mad at someone.

But the fact that everyone and their brother could've predicted it would create a shitstorm and that there would be a bunch of twitter calls for the team to trade Provorov; makes me think Provorov did it intentionally to stir the trade pot a little more. I always think there's an alternative motivation for stuff like this because I just can't fathom someone looking at those options and picking the one that makes a scene. Who wants that attention?
I get what your saying that staying neutral may have been the better way to go but if the man doesn't want to wear the jersey he shouldn't have to and if he doesn't wear it no shit storm should be made. I dont understand why people are trying to force him to go against his beliefs. In this day and age i guess it would be called bullying.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there's been talk of trading away many of our players, and that's mostly fine, but I have to say we'd be fucking insane to trade away someone like Konecny or Laughton. Considering they now both play in all aspects of the game and we lead the league with 9 shorthanded goals largely due to them. Unless we get a haul for either of them, I would keep them both. They're both underpaid for what they do, quite frankly.

Let's remind everyone Konecny is on pace for 94 points if he plays out the rest of the season and he has 2 more years left (after this one) on a contract paying him only $5.5 million per season. If he were in the last season of his deal and wanted to test free agency, then hell yeah, I would deal him. This is different though. He's shown nothing that tells us he doesn't want to remain a Flyer moving forward.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there's been talk of trading away many of our players, and that's mostly fine, but I have to say we'd be fucking insane to trade away someone like Konecny or Laughton. Considering they now both play in all aspects of the game and we lead the league with 9 shorthanded goals largely due to them. Unless we get a haul for either of them, I would keep them both. They're both underpaid for what they do, quite frankly.

Let's remind everyone Konecny is on pace for 94 points if he plays out the rest of the season and he has 2 more years left (after this one) on a contract paying him only $5.5 million per season. If he were in the last season of his deal and wanted to test free agency, then hell yeah, I would deal him. This is different though. He's shown nothing that tells us he doesn't want to remain a Flyer moving forward.

I don't think it's crazy to consider trading Konecny. I don't think I'd do it because I think he's the shining example of what the team says they're trying to instill with Torts. TK bought in. Worked is ass off. Showed immense progress. I don't think from an optics/culture perspective, you can trade him. Plus, like you said, he's one of the very few guys on the roster that's providing surplus value in comparison to his contract.

BUT. I don't think it's crazy to consider. He's shooting 19.7% this season. 7.2% higher than he's shot for his career (12.5% would have him at 15g this season). I think there's a very real chance he's having what will be the best season of his career this year. When Chicago sold high on Hagel, he was on a 31g/55p pace and had term on his deal (2 more years at 1.5M). The Hawks got Katchouk (former 2nd rd pick), Raddysh (former 2nd rd pick), and 2 first round picks. How does Hagel's 55pt @ 1.5M situation compare to TK's 94pt @ 5.5M? Because 2 pretty legit prospects and 2 first round picks can do a heck of a lot for a team that probably needs to rebuild. Or if they can get 1 high end prospect plus the 2 picks? If someone comes at you with an offer like that you have to think about it. It could turn in to 3 top of the lineup guys for 1. Comes down to what the Flyers think they are. Do they think they can contend in those 2 years @ 5.5 for TK? Or do they look further down the line.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's crazy to consider trading Konecny. I don't think I'd do it because I think he's the shining example of what the team says they're trying to instill with Torts. TK bought in. Worked is ass off. Showed immense progress. I don't think from an optics/culture perspective, you can trade him. Plus, like you said, he's one of the very few guys on the roster that's providing surplus value in comparison to his contract.

BUT. I don't think it's crazy to consider. He's shooting 19.7% this season. 7.2% higher than he's shot for his career (12.5% would have him at 15g this season). I think there's a very real chance he's having what will be the best season of his career this year. When Chicago sold high on Hagel, he was on a 31g/55p pace and had term on his deal (2 more years at 1.5M). The Hawks got Katchouk (former 2nd rd pick), Raddysh (former 2nd rd pick), and 2 first round picks. How does Hagel's 55pt @ 1.5M situation compare to TK's 94pt @ 5.5M? Because 2 pretty legit prospects and 2 first round picks can do a heck of a lot for a team that probably needs to rebuild. Or if they can get 1 high end prospect plus the 2 picks? If someone comes at you with an offer like that you have to think about it. It could turn in to 3 top of the lineup guys for 1. Comes down to what the Flyers think they are. Do they think they can contend in those 2 years @ 5.5 for TK? Or do they look further down the line.
This is great analysis, now if you can only get ahold of Chuck and let him know. I'm so scared of how bad that guy could screw things up!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really annoyed by the entire Provorov issue. Not because I don't think he should be able to follow his understanding of the teachings of his faith. Because he chose to set himself aside from his team mates. I am even more annoyed with the team and the coach for not dealing with this before it could happen. If he isn't going to either wear the team designated warm up, or participate in a regular warm up, then he should be benched. Thats all. His reason can be covered up "he has a cold" or any other number of reasons.

Frankly, having been on several teams over the years at several levels of play, when any player sets themselves apart like this.... "I don't want to stand for the Canadian anthem", "I don't want to shake hands", "I don't want to participate in this tournament sponsored event". Well, then don't expect your team mates to have your back. You are saying that you are better than them.

The management could have avoided this. There is already an internal feeling that Provy is difficult or selfish. By allowing this to play out the team is simply feeding that.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, this is why I said "unless we get a haul for either of them." If someone is offering two good prospects and two 1st round picks for Konecny, I would absolutely have to consider it. If we do that, we're definitely all-in on rebuilding, because we're probably going to be terrible for a few seasons.

Even if we can't technically "contend" in the next two seasons with Konecny at $5.5 million, if he essentially remains a 94 point player (or at least proves this is not a fluke) and wants to re-sign long-term, we gladly keep him. As long as it's not an insane deal, he'll have just turned 28 and probably be worth every cent of it. There's absolutely no guarantee that a good prospect or 1st round pick we acquire turns into a 94 point guy (that wants to be a Flyer for life and fits the mold) down the road.

Plus, like you said, shipping Konecny out of town suddenly very much sends the wrong message to the team (and the fans). You buy-in 100%, work your ass off and have a career year, we're going to sell you off to the highest bidder.