• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One man's opinion of what went down on Draft-day and the immediate days following.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to look forward, and not try to revisit the past too much, here is the state of things:
1. The Flyers have less than 120k in available cap space with the signing of DeAngelo
2. If Ellis is simply an LTIR candidate, is DeAngelo really a replacement?
3. Frost, N Case & Jackson Case and Owen Tippet all need to be resigned.
4. The Flyers need another goalie for system depth.
5. The Flyers HAVE to get rid of several contracts if they have any interest in signing anyone in FA.

IMHO, resigning the Case brothers, Tippet and Frost (and Allison) needs to be a priority.
Candidates for removal? JvR (duh), but who else? TK?, Sanheim? Provorov?

I just don't think there are a lot of good options to make room. Even considering that Ellis most likely is an LTIR candidate, the Flyers need to re-sign those RFA's.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sigourney weaver michael GIF

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to look forward, and not try to revisit the past too much, here is the state of things:
1. The Flyers have less than 120k in available cap space with the signing of DeAngelo
2. If Ellis is simply an LTIR candidate, is DeAngelo really a replacement?
3. Frost, N Case & Jackson Case and Owen Tippet all need to be resigned.
4. The Flyers need another goalie for system depth.
5. The Flyers HAVE to get rid of several contracts if they have any interest in signing anyone in FA.

IMHO, resigning the Case brothers, Tippet and Frost (and Allison) needs to be a priority.
Candidates for removal? JvR (duh), but who else? TK?, Sanheim? Provorov?

I just don't think there are a lot of good options to make room. Even considering that Ellis most likely is an LTIR candidate, the Flyers need to re-sign those RFA's.
I'm hoping Torts being a veteran coach and a known hardass came in with the approach of " Hey, I'll clean this shit up but it's gonna be done my way"! If not then he's stupiditer then I thought. I can't see him being just a fill in Yes Man for the next 4 years.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misspoke, Noah Case has one more year left. Jackson is the RFA

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting to look at this club and try to map "what went wrong?"
IMHO, it is not as simple as the death of Ed Snider, or the involvement of Comcast.
1. After Pete Luuko left the organization there has been a complete disconnect between the hockey side and business side.
2. Holmgren and Clarke retained too much sway over the organization for too long.
3. The Phantoms have been allowed to completely stagnate, to the point that any development that occurs with them is almost accidental.

There is also the internal damage that players knowing that there have been GM planted "ears and eyes" in the locker room through the past few staffs. The fact that Yeo was retained and named interim should let you know who the GM's man was in AV's staff. But this practice signals to the team that the coach does not have the 100% backing of the GM and organization, so why should the players buy in 100%.

There is a great deal of revisionist history when looking at the last 10 - 15 years of the Flyers. The trade for Pronger, trading Scott Hartnell for a broken down RJ Umberger, the disintegration of Laviolette's relationship with the team. Berube's contempt for goalie coaches and development, the departure of a goalie coach before the end of the season with no explanation. Berube's dissmissal. More and more decisions being made seemingly because of personal relationships with "senior management" than anything else.

I don't know, and frankly none of us do, what is really going on in the Flyers front office. I do believe that they want to win. The problem is, or appears to be, that there is no willingness to allow anyone to make decisions that is not consistent with the "senior management". As long as that is allowed to be the case....that the voices of Clarke and Holmgren continue to sound there is going to be trouble.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep wbon, spot on! And until those dynamics change, we will never see the Flyers change and return to the once-proud competitive prominence and championship-minded organization we all got hooked-on at some point in time in the past.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're being real, the answer to that is COMCAST SPECTACOR.
They measure success by the financial return. Flyers value has gone up around 500% since they bought out snider to $1.2Billion from +/- $250 Million. I think the flyers lost around $30MM in 21/22 which is peanuts compare to the asset value.

The fan base has to completely revolt and disappear for Comcast to even think about worrying.

They spend Money on the team (read Cap issues) and coaching, convince the fan base they’re doing all they can do and life at headquarters goes on merrily.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing that Comcast could do now would be to step up and say "Hey, we screwed up. We are going to do what it takes to rebuild. This is going to take a couple of years and it might be painful. We hope our fans will continue to support us as only the best fans in the league can."

But that is too much of a mea culpa for them I believe.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And because the Flyers got a bunch of players that are not worthy of their bloated contracts we do not have the asset resources to get involved in say signing a FA or two from the AVs who have a host of players to re-sign or they will become FAs. The included article tells the story and I can see why the Avs were again champions. They have Joe Sakic as the GM.

On a side note, since the Pens signed Letang to a six-year deal to a player who is at the end of his career, the Preds one-upped the Pens by signing Forsberg, who may be soon entering that window of the end of his career, to an 8-year deal.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And because the Flyers got a bunch of players that are not worthy of their bloated contracts we do not have the asset resources to get involved in say signing a FA or two from the AVs who have a host of players to re-sign or they will become FAs. The included article tells the story and I can see why the Avs were again champions. They have Joe Sakic as the GM.

On a side note, since the Pens signed Letang to a six-year deal to a player who is at the end of his career, the Preds one-upped the Pens by signing Forsberg, who may be soon entering that window of the end of his career, to an 8-year deal.

Filip Forsberg, not Peter Forsberg. This kid is turning 28 next month. He will earn that contract and both sides will be happy. It's nothing like the Letang deal.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They measure success by the financial return. Flyers value has gone up around 500% since they bought out snider to $1.2Billion from +/- $250 Million. I think the flyers lost around $30MM in 21/22 which is peanuts compare to the asset value.

The fan base has to completely revolt and disappear for Comcast to even think about worrying.

They spend Money on the team (read Cap issues) and coaching, convince the fan base they’re doing all they can do and life at headquarters goes on merrily.
Yes. Our team has been overrun by a massive corporation and they give zero shits about actually winning Stanley Cups or even being competitive. It's truly fucking sad.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filip Forsberg, not Peter Forsberg. This kid is turning 28 next month. He will earn that contract and both sides will be happy. It's nothing like the Letang deal.
Thanks Maverick. I checked the difference between the two before I posted and I believe that the contract would have been better served for both parties if it was a 6-year deal instead of 8 (my opinion). Filip is a high scoring player and probably will complete that contract at a high level barring injury but he is the exception more than the rule.

This sort of extravagant thinking (like the Letang deal) and approach in Hockey does not necessarily work for everyone. You have to be spot on when a team derives such a contract so that the skill level and longevity is covered against an age-related decrement on a case-by-case basis. Done the same way in a FO of incompetents and just plain douchebags can lead to an unmitigated disaster.

This same dynamic along with a host of other contributing factors already discussed on this thread have destroyed a once proud and prominent franchise like the Flyers because we had and have people in positions of power that ARE NOT as good as say the FO's of the Avs, Lightning, and maybe the Preds.

The result is what the present state of the Flyers franchise now presents which is an unmitigated disaster that will have consequences for some time to come. Hopefully, a pragmatic disciplinarian like Torts can right this sinking shithole and maybe somebody sees what he brings and is hoping for the same correction capacities as the rest of his diehard fans.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope this year brings us another top 5 pick and both Gauthier and next years top 5 turn into the stars we need at the top and then we go from there.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could this even be remotely true? How could it happen? What would be the cost? JVR and Provorov? Would have to free up some cash somewhere.
Hockey Insider Says Johnny Gaudreau Will Become a Flyer
I saw they are trying to move Provy and TK to open money for Gaudreau. Also saw where Florida was a possibility for JVR, IF we included the 2024 1st they sent for Giroux. Have to stop trying to make moves to get us back to the playoff fringe and wait for the following year when JVR is off the books. Frost, Tippett, Cates, MacEwen, Attard and York will still be relatively cheap. Sanheim will be a UFA and take a good chuck of the cap space. They would have about 10 - 12 mill for 1 UFA to make a splash. This includes a major assumption that Ellis is still on LTIR.