• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart is playing lights-out and something tells me it will continue if he remains healthy! I am fairly certain Torts had a long chat with Mr. Hart way back in training camp and the results are evident!
He's maturing and finally getting some help from his teammates. Face it goalies can play a huge part in how a season goes. They steal games.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's maturing and finally getting some help from his teammates. Face it goalies can play a huge part in how a season goes. They steal games.
It seems like we can't win a single damn game without him right now too as we go down 0-3 tonight with Sandstrom in net. As for maturing, Hart has always sort of looked like a kid, but he looked more like a man when they interviewed him yesterday.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a bit of a sleeper tonight and ultimately I'm pretty shocked at what unfolded. We left Karlsson wide open for a slapper that opened the scoring in the 2nd and again left Lorentz wide open right at the front of the night for a deflection goal that really killed us, giving the Sharks a 2-0 lead late in the 2nd.

Then, after JvR had already left the game and wasn't returning, Torts benched Hayes and Konecny for the ENTIRE 3rd period in a two score game. I understand sending a message to individual players and the team, but holy fuck. I thought we could've come back and won this game, but without our current top three scorers, it's not happening.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like we can't win a single damn game without him right now too as we go down 0-3 tonight with Sandstrom in net. As for maturing, Hart has always sort of looked like a kid, but he looked more like a man when they interviewed him yesterday.
Yes true and to be honest I don't blame Sandstrom team just didn't look great tonight. They do need some scorers back to keep things rolling.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a bit of a sleeper tonight and ultimately I'm pretty shocked at what unfolded. We left Karlsson wide open for a slapper that opened the scoring in the 2nd and again left Lorentz wide open right at the front of the night for a deflection goal that really killed us, giving the Sharks a 2-0 lead late in the 2nd.

Then, after JvR had already left the game and wasn't returning, Torts benched Hayes and Konecny for the ENTIRE 3rd period in a two score game. I understand sending a message to individual players and the team, but holy fuck. I thought we could've come back and won this game, but without our current top three scorers, it's not happening.

Heh. Part of the Torts experience. I'm fine with it, this season is supposed to be about building a culture and that's more important than 1 result. I only watched a little of the 2nd period last night.

Preds game on Saturday was enjoyable though. Played a strong game throughout. The entertainment/intensity dipped a bit after the Preds guy was stretchered off, but a good game by the Flyers, particularly Hart.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tortellini said he wasn’t going to be patient with the vets.

Was a boring game to watch for sure.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. Part of the Torts experience. I'm fine with it, this season is supposed to be about building a culture and that's more important than 1 result. I only watched a little of the 2nd period last night.

Preds game on Saturday was enjoyable though. Played a strong game throughout. The entertainment/intensity dipped a bit after the Preds guy was stretchered off, but a good game by the Flyers, particularly Hart.
As long as Torts is consistent with it, I am good with it in the long term. It felt like getting hit by a train in the moment though. JvR was already out and we were only down 0-2. We've overcome two goal deficits three times this season already and San Jose is one of the worst 3rd period teams in the league to date. I think we could've tied that game and won it with Hayes and Konecny fully participating. They literally sat on the bench for the entire fucking period instead. I'm just a bit amazed. I truly think we could be sitting 5-1 right now...oh well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tortorella is known for his pissing matches with his players but if any guy is going to change the country-club, pussified culture of the Flyers of years past for the alternative that we all have seen and are encouraged by this year, it is going to be Tortorella. Unfortunately, that incident with Hayes and Konecny is going to be part of the process.

Tortorella is sending a message and it is in hopes of players will respond in getting motivated to get on board with winning and being a damn good, fight-to-the-end Hockey club. Otherwise, your ass is going to sit until it gets through your thick skulls of some presently on the roster. Even though Hayes and Konecny have pretty much bought-in to Tortorella's mentality, I suspect Tortorella wants to make sure there is no hint of doubt!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tortorella is known for his pissing matches with his players but if any guy is going to change the country-club, pussified culture of the Flyers of years past for the alternative that we all have seen and are encouraged by this year, it is going to be Tortorella. Unfortunately, that incident with Hayes and Konecny is going to be part of the process.

Tortorella is sending a message and it is in hopes of players will respond in getting motivated to get on board with winning and being a damn good, fight-to-the-end Hockey club. Otherwise, your ass is going to sit until it gets through your thick skulls of some presently on the roster. Even though Hayes and Konecny have pretty much bought-in to Tortorella's mentality, I suspect Tortorella wants to make sure there is no hint of doubt!
If we're not extremely competitive on Thursday, I am going to be pissed. I just don't want to be a team that essentially tanks because we sit players on the bench all the time or discourage them from returning from injury etc. Right now we've been losing other players to injury before any of our others can even recover.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed Maverick. We are not built for the smashmouth Hockey style but Tortortella is sure trying to push guys in that direction.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed Maverick. We are not built for the smashmouth Hockey style but Tortortella is sure trying to push guys in that direction.
Well, I think Torts mostly just wants us playing as one unit and supporting each other everywhere. Whether that means fighting a guy to back up a teammate, taking a hit to make a play, blocking a hard shot, not backing down in a scrum around our net or covering for a teammate that pinches in the zone etc. Those are the things he wants to see all over the ice and I guess if he sees two opponents score that were wide open in our own zone, that is a problem and someone is going to pay for it.

I just don't want to lose multiple games simply because we benched our best players for entire periods or games to send a message. That's potentially going to really sting at the end of the year. I mean, by all accounts, we don't have enough skill/talent as is. So, to sit two-thirds of our top line for an entire 3rd period of a two score game really aches. It's something that shouldn't have to be done repeatedly. The message is sent.

We're not built for "smashmouth hockey" so to speak, but guys like Deslauriers, MacEwen and Seeler will absolutely drop the gloves whenever they feel it is necessary.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Maverick and you are right. Tortorella can also be swayed a bit especially if fans send HIM a message.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only caught about 35 minutes of one Flyers game this season, so I haven't totally seen the team play 60 minutes yet. I will be watching tomorrow night so we'll see if I jinx them lol. Love the culture building of accountability but I'm still worried we are driving ourselves into mediocrity by having a good season.? I'd really like to get a big name draft pick ala Lindros and build a team around this player. We have the goalie and some of the right youth but we need a big time player too. Plus if we are somewhat successful this season, makes Fletcher look like a genius.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is Thursday at 7 PM eastern, for what it's worth...not today...Lol

It's a difficult task at hand, but we'll see if we can get some revenge on the Panthers.

At least this time we should have Hart in net. He's a game-changer right now.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE knew this was coming. Maybe the benching of Hayes and Konecny got under the "country-club" vets skin or maybe Tortorella just is that abrasive. The questions now become: How will this affect the team and how will they respond? Are we going to see a renewed all-in or are we going to see the beginning-of-the-end mutiny? We shall see.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE knew this was coming. Maybe the benching of Hayes and Konecny got under the "country-club" vets skin or maybe Tortorella just is that abrasive. The questions now become: How will this affect the team and how will they respond? Are we going to see a renewed all-in or are we going to see the beginning-of-the-end mutiny? We shall see.

I’ve been saying all along, watch TK. It’s easy for me to believe he can and will say F#%k this and just lay down.

OR. A fire will light under him and he will be a huge asset.

Could go either way

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kessel gets Ironman record tonight. So glad we helped Yandle get it for a couple of months.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kessel gets Ironman record tonight. So glad we helped Yandle get it for a couple of months.
Fucking Phil Kessel...unreal. The little engine that could...Lol Dude has played in almost 1,000 straight games, scored 400 goals and is closing in on 1,000 points...wtf!?!