• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I doubt he averages 20/5/5, but he could have/would have started if the Lakers weren't a playoff team. The Lakers had won 53 games the season before and then got Shaq the same off-season they got Kobe.

You also have to remember, he came to a team that already had Eddie Jones who was an all star in Kobe's first 2 seasons.

It's obviously not a great measure, but Kobe's per 36 for his rookie season is 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg and 3.0 apg...so not too far off of what Lebron did.

Kobe also didn't play near as much in his last 2 seasons because he was coming back from a blown Achilles.

Obviously, Lebron is the better player. But the gap isn't as big as some like to think, imo.
Yes the gap is as big as some like to think. Not scoring, but everything else.

LeBron is a top 3 player in history. Kobe is top 10, barely.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I doubt he averages 20/5/5, but he could have/would have started if the Lakers weren't a playoff team. The Lakers had won 53 games the season before and then got Shaq the same off-season they got Kobe.

You also have to remember, he came to a team that already had Eddie Jones who was an all star in Kobe's first 2 seasons.

It's obviously not a great measure, but Kobe's per 36 for his rookie season is 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg and 3.0 apg...so not too far off of what Lebron did.

Kobe also didn't play near as much in his last 2 seasons because he was coming back from a blown Achilles.

Obviously, Lebron is the better player. But the gap isn't as big as some like to think, imo.

I never said anything about his last two seasons though. I compared their numbers across the board through 15 full seasons. Again I'm going strickly by the career numbers & nothing else.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about his last two seasons though. I compared their numbers across the board through 15 full seasons. Again I'm going strickly by the career numbers & nothing else.

You have to look beyond the numbers.....you put Kobe on that Cavs team and he would have put up awesome numbers.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to look beyond the numbers.....you put Kobe on that Cavs team and he would have put up awesome numbers.
Kind of ironic we were discussing him at this very moment

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete bombshell for Lakers fans and the entire NBA.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only worse news even comparable I heard (as a fan, not my personal life) was when Magic retired because of HIV....and he's alive.....this tops that clearly.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Kobe was ready from day one he would have been a starter. And I realize Eddie Jones was the starting SG Kobe's rookie year. But he wasn't ready for the marathon grind that is the regular season right outta HS.

If I was trying to trash him I'd be saying a bunch of off the wall stuff. I seemingly can't say this enough, I'm going by their career numbers & nothing else. I'm gonna repeat something I already said. It took Kobe until his FOURTH year in the league to average at least 20.

By LeBron's 4th years he averged 20 once. 27 twice. And 30 once. LeBron was starter from day one. Kobe wasn't a starter until his 3rd year in the league. And even his 1st year as a starter he didn't average 20 ppg, just slightly under by the smallest of margins.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe was ready from day one he would have been a starter. And I realize Eddie Jones was the starting SG Kobe's rookie year. But he wasn't ready for the marathon grind that is the regular season right outta HS.

I disagree. He didn't start because the Lakers had an all star SG, not because he wouldn't have been able to perform.

As I said earlier, I don't think he puts up the numbers that Lebron did. But I do think that he could have posted something close to what his per 36 was for that season.

The Lakers had the option to let him develop with little pressure on him. I'd be willing to bet that if the Cavs had that option with Lebron, they'd have taken it as well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, to me LeBron is obviously >>> Kobe

But LeBron started because Cleveland was awful. The Lakers were I believe a playoff team when they got Kobe. They wanted the HS kid to go easy at first. If he had started his rookie year he probably matches LeBrons scoring production over the same number of seasons
Lebron also was the consensus #1 pick. Kobe went 13, right?