• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA playoffs

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither should be overly concerned. MIA had a great start to that game and were in control until the sixers started hitting an ungodly amount of their shots. CLE, on the other hand, couldn't make an open 3 to save their life.

Both are in the same scenario, needing to win 4 of 6 with just 3 home games remaining.

The Heat scored 43 points in the 2nd half. It wasn't just the Sixers shooting really well. Oh and the Sixers were missing one of their 2 best players who will likely be back by Game 3.

I would say the Heat should be a little concerned.

Game 1 results should not be overstated. But they also aren't irrelevant.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat scored 43 points in the 2nd half. It wasn't just the Sixers shooting really well. Oh and the Sixers were missing one of their 2 best players who will likely be back by Game 3.

I would say the Heat should be a little concerned.

Game 1 results should not be overstated. But they also aren't irrelevant.
Not irrelevant.

But, the expectation is that the higher seed should win on their homecourt.

A series is not in jeopardy until a team looses on their own floor.

Philly just held serve albeit in dominant fashion.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not irrelevant.

But, the expectation is that the higher seed should win on their homecourt.

A series is not in jeopardy until a team looses on their own floor.

Philly just held serve albeit in dominant fashion.

Completely agree with all of this. The Heat shouldn't panic. If they get smoked again tonight then they are in trouble even though that would still be a road loss. But they have to show that they can play in Philly if they are going to have a shot of winning the series.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this season is no different for the Cavs then years past then I think we fundamentally see things very differently.

The Cavs have been in constant change this entire season. They lost Kyrie and Tristan Thompson has become Tristan Trash.

The Cavs have already lost as many games in the Eastern playoffs as they did last year.

Every year for the past 3 has been "different".

I agree that this might be the most vulnerable team the Cavs have had over the last 4 years... I just think the narrative of the past is revisionist history. Calling the Cavs chances at 100% or 95% the last couple years is stupid. And just cause the Cavs showed up and got the job done doesn't make it correct.

Go back and read ANY thread on here from the past few years going into the playoffs and you'll see the Hawks and the Raptors and the Celtics and the Bulls and the Wizards getting respect. You'll see talk of the Cavs defensive issues and how they'll "probably" win it, but "I wouldn't be surprised" if they don't. They show those teams respect until the Cavs win the East, then they show those teams complete disrespect calling it a cakewalk. Everyone's tune changes to "I always knew they were gonna win".

Its the same damn thing every year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree with all of this. The Heat shouldn't panic. If they get smoked again tonight then they are in trouble even though that would still be a road loss. But they have to show that they can play in Philly if they are going to have a shot of winning the series.
Yep.

The Heat have to prove that they can at least be competitive on the road, let alone win a game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that this might be the most vulnerable team the Cavs have had over the last 4 years... I just think the narrative of the past is revisionist history. Calling the Cavs chances at 100% or 95% the last couple years is stupid. And just cause the Cavs showed up and got the job done doesn't make it correct.

Go back and read ANY thread on here from the past few years going into the playoffs and you'll see the Hawks and the Raptors and the Celtics and the Bulls and the Wizards getting respect. You'll see talk of the Cavs defensive issues and how they'll "probably" win it, but "I wouldn't be surprised" if they don't. They show those teams respect until the Cavs win the East, then they show those teams complete disrespect calling it a cakewalk. Everyone's tune changes to "I always knew they were gonna win".

I think you are focusing on the Lebron haters who change the narrative to fit the discussion.

I didn't really start posting in the hoops forum until about 2 years ago so I can't speak to prior playoffs before last year but I do know most of the non-Lebron haters assumed that the Cavs would roll through the playoffs until they lost to the Warriors in the finals. I didn't necessarily expect them to go 12-1 in the East but I would have been shocked had anyone else won last year.

This year the Cavs are, at best, a slight favorite over the Raptors in the East.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are focusing on the Lebron haters who change the narrative to fit the discussion.

I didn't really start posting in the hoops forum until about 2 years ago so I can't speak to prior playoffs before last year but I do know most of the non-Lebron haters assumed that the Cavs would roll through the playoffs until they lost to the Warriors in the finals. I didn't necessarily expect them to go 12-1 in the East but I would have been shocked had anyone else won last year.

This year the Cavs are, at best, a slight favorite over the Raptors in the East.
Its definitely not everyone, and most aren't that exaggerative about it... but the narrative is there.

Even just seeing Tlance - who is the furthest thing from a hater - post those odds of 100% and 95% shows how the the revisionist history shapes the narrative.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here. I still think it is LBJs title for this year. But thats it. IMO this is a Cavs year like we had in Boston in 2011/12. The deathstar is nearing

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89

Ogunbowale, the Notre DAme women's basketball sniper, gets to compete on Dancing with the Stars, gets to keep the money if she wins, while maintaining her status as a student athlete.

I'm happy about this.

But, doesn't it kind of skirt the amateur athlete divider?

Can college athletes get paid to do shoe shoe commercials, public appearances etc?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I still think it is LBJs title for this year. But thats it. IMO this is a Cavs year like we had in Boston in 2011/12. The deathstar is nearing
Might already be here.

I am quickly losing faith in this team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its definitely not everyone, and most aren't that exaggerative about it... but the narrative is there.

Even just seeing Tlance - who is the furthest thing from a hater - post those odds of 100% and 95% shows how the the revisionist history shapes the narrative.

I think that Tlance was just saying that 2 years ago virtually everyone expected the Cavs to be in the finals and they thought that from the moment the Warriors won the year before. Last year the consensus was perhaps not quite as overwhelmingly but still the majority of people were still expecting the Cavs to get to the finals.

Just for a point of reference..

Series Thread: - 2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs 7) Indiana Pacers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% is WAY too high for 2016. 95% is too high for last year. Imo, 55% is too low for this year.

This is the way it works with LeBron though. "This is the year it isn't a Lock! There are some real challengers!! This is gonna be tough for LeBron!!"

Until LeBron gets to the Finals and the narrative swaps. Suddenly. "It was obvious the whole time. All those eastern teams are pretenders. There was never a doubt in anyone's mind".

I guarantee if the Cavs make the Finals this year, the narrative will flip right back.

I don't know where you're hearing that. Not on here at least.

Pretty much everyone here has said the same thing. The Cavs aren't as good as the previous years, so it will tougher. But Lebron will find a way to get them out of the East.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89

Ogunbowale, the Notre DAme women's basketball sniper, gets to compete on Dancing with the Stars, gets to keep the money if she wins, while maintaining her status as a student athlete.

I'm happy about this.

But, doesn't it kind of skirt the amateur athlete divider?

Can college athletes get paid to do shoe shoe commercials, public appearances etc?

I don't think they do or else we probably would have seen several of the top athletes in college do commercials/make public appearances.

That's a tricky one

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Tlance was just saying that 2 years ago virtually everyone expected the Cavs to be in the finals and they thought that from the moment the Warriors won the year before. Last year the consensus was perhaps not quite as overwhelmingly but still the majority of people were still expecting the Cavs to get to the finals.

Just for a point of reference..

Series Thread: - 2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs 7) Indiana Pacers

Yeah everyone always expects them to get there. They always have that disclaimer. Even this year. "The Cavs will probably win".

Going in to the playoffs, the other east teams get respect. "This year it won't be a cakewalk for the Cavs".

Then, by the time the Finals arrive, the other east teams get no respect. "That was a total cakewalk for the Cavs".

This year will be no different if the Cavs make the Finals.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't where you're hearing that. Not on here at least.

Pretty much everyone here has said the same thing. The Cavs aren't as good as the previous years, so it will tougher. But Lebron will find a way to get them out of the East.

Yep, which has been the narrative EVERY year.

Until they get to the Finals, then "it will be tough for them" changes to "it was too easy for them".

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're being way too sensitive. Acknowledging that a team has had issues and therefore may be able to be beaten, but expecting them to make it out of their conference isn't hate and isn't changing a narrative.

Neither is, "I expect them to come out of their conference, but wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't this time."

For example, last year the Cavs defense was terrible all season long and that was a lot of the reason for the doubt. To their credit, they stepped up the defense in the playoffs enough to emerge from the East. But to act like there was no reason to doubt them going into the playoffs, based on that defense is changing the narrative.

This years Cavs look to be the worst of the Cavs team since Lebron's return and some other teams have stepped up and look like more of a threat. Yet, the majority of folks on here still expect Lebron to be able to get them to the finals. Not sure what narrative that's changing or how that qualifies as hate.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, which has been the narrative EVERY year.

Until they get to the Finals, then "it will be tough for them" changes to "it was too easy for them".

Not sure who said it was too easy. If, in fact, it was "too easy." I think that reflects more negatively on the rest of the East than it does on the Cavs.

The Cavs can only beat the teams that are put in front of them. If Lebron is so deep into those teams heads that these series seem over before they start, that's on those teams, not on the Cavs. Cavs are just doing their job.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're being way too sensitive. Acknowledging that a team has had issues and therefore may be able to be beaten, but expecting them to make it out of their conference isn't hate and isn't changing a narrative.

Neither is, "I expect them to come out of their conference, but wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't this time."

For example, last year the Cavs defense was terrible all season long and that was a lot of the reason for the doubt. To their credit, they stepped up the defense in the playoffs enough to emerge from the East. But to act like there was no reason to doubt them going into the playoffs, based on that defense is changing the narrative.

This years Cavs look to be the worst of the Cavs team since Lebron's return and some other teams have stepped up and look like more of a threat. Yet, the majority of folks on here still expect Lebron to be able to get them to the finals. Not sure what narrative that's changing or how that qualifies as hate.

Not sure what's sensitive about it. Just the fact of how the general narrative goes everytime.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who said it was too easy. If, in fact, it was "too easy." I think that reflects more negatively on the rest of the East than it does on the Cavs.

Exactly, which is why I've been saying its disrespectful to the other teams in the East.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah everyone always expects them to get there. They always have that disclaimer. Even this year. "The Cavs will probably win".

Going in to the playoffs, the other east teams get respect. "This year it won't be a cakewalk for the Cavs".

Then, by the time the Finals arrive, the other east teams get no respect. "That was a total cakewalk for the Cavs".

This year will be no different if the Cavs make the Finals.

Seems like you want to create your own narrative and pick and choose the arguments for others.

Tell you what, if the Cavs rip off the next 12 games to reach the finals I will say you were completely right. And if the Cavs lose before making the finals you will say that this year was different than year's past and this team WASN'T as good? Cool?

I don't believe for one second this is going to be a cakewalk for the Cavs. I believe that they will be the betting underdog in the finals unless, assuming they get there.